Please help with first Porsche purchase (718)

2 cars keyless, 2 cars require key in locks.  I hate locks.  18th century Industrial revolution tech.

Are you crazy...

Clicking the "unlock" button on the key and inserting it in the ignition has always been such a chor, how did we ever live without this feature?

.........almost as useless an invention as a smartwatch that tells your smartphone in your pocket is ringing

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Left my 2010 Toyota van at Budget, dude says "yeah just leave it over there and I'll move it" ... calls me half hour later "the key doesn't work, I'm pressing the fob and nothing happens how do I unlock it?" hahaha yes the battery is flat , told him "Just put the key in the lock and turn it!" He says "ok will ring you back if I have a problem" ... Rings back and says "ok got in but can't move it it's a manual, only guy here who can drive a manual is off sick for the afternoon, can you come back and move it it's in the way" . Nearly fell over laughing "no I am busy!!"

Thanks for the input everyone!

I'd heard about the whole washing the car with the key in your pocket issue, but I am happy that is infrequent enough to not completely kill off my initial optimism.

I hadn't thought about an Apple watch / iPhone analogy in terms of levels of usefulness. But sadly I have to admit that sounds pretty close to the mark :(. You obviously could live without it, and even assuming the cost was zero whether it is even a positive benefit is a matter of opinion.

Having said that, in general I really like technology/gadgets/shiny things... so I'm really wanting to like this.

I'll try it in person next Saturday at the dealership.

If I like it, then I will keep the option and just hope that it works as reliably as it does for nytelfer and Lucky Phil :)

But if I don't like it... I wonder what happens to the price, if I want to take off an option, but I've already signed for a certain dollar value.

Left my 2010 Toyota van at Budget, dude says "yeah just leave it over there and I'll move it" ... calls me half hour later "the key doesn't work, I'm pressing the fob and nothing happens how do I unlock it?" hahaha yes the battery is flat , told him "Just put the key in the lock and turn it!" He says "ok will ring you back if I have a problem" ... Rings back and says "ok got in but can't move it it's a manual, only guy here who can drive a manual is off sick for the afternoon, can you come back and move it it's in the way" . Nearly fell over laughing "no I am busy!!"

F*cking hilarious story :)

so are your choices all locked in now Ian?

I'm sure you are in good contact with the dealer, but I had a call saying my car is built and due for shipping.

Possibly this might be ahead of schedule, as I initially was told it would not be built until December.

so are your choices all locked in now Ian?

I'm sure you are in good contact with the dealer, but I had a call saying my car is built and due for shipping.

Possibly this might be ahead of schedule, as I initially was told it would not be built until December.

That's great news deano! You won't be waiting till March after all :)

I hope I'm not all locked in yet. I was told that I could safely make changes until the end of November. The last thing I signed for was on Monday (Cayman 18" wheels and coloured Porsche crests in the wheel centres). My sales guy is still making me feel like a VIP and gave me the coloured crests for free, even though I don't have much bargaining power anymore. I'm hoping the change went through... the guy didn't say/email back anything to the contrary.

While I'd probably be happy if my car was built right now, I am considering adding seat ventilation... to minimise 'sweaty shirt syndrome' while driving around with the roof down in summer. I'm also considering dropping Porsche entry and drive if I try it this Saturday and don't love it.

Random thoughts after a fun test driving session with my brother in law today:

I really liked the base model Macan. I'm pretty much sold on it as our replacement SUV in a couple of years time. I would just add all the comfort/luxury options to it.

The 911 Carrera S was ridiculously fun... but I'm thinking that is like 6+ years in the future. I also still prefer the aesthetics of the Boxster 981/718(982) compared to the 991 Carrera (please don't delete my forum account).

In regards to the current 718 order... I'm changing my order again (surprise surprise).

I liked the Entry and Drive. So I want to keep that.
I thought the Seat Ventilation wasn't that special. So no thank you.
I'm removing Power Steering Plus. We were doing lots of U turns and 3 point turns today, and I've decided I quite like the base steering feel without the Power Steering Plus.
Finally I was looking at 18 inch vs 19 inch vs 20 inch wheels on all the Boxsters and Caymans at the dealership. I've done a complete 180 on the way I view the wheels now. The 20 inch now look MUCH better to me. So much so that I'm now willing to dodge pot holes, accept a slightly harsher ride etc. The 18 inch just doesn't look right. My brother-in-law threatened to slap me if I stayed with the 18 inch option.
So I'm changing from the 18 inch Cayman into the 20 inch Carrera S Wheels

I'm sure I'm happy with my order now... I can't possibly test any more than I already have.

• 1 month later...

Aaaaaaarrrrrgggghhhh!

I've only waited 2 months and I think I'm going crazy. Every time I drive my current cars I'm just sitting there picking faults with them and thinking how much more fun driving my new Porsche would be...

What the hell am I going to do with myself for the next 3 months?

19 hours ago, wirthO said:

Try waiting a year :P

Well yeah, that puts things in perspective :)

Pretty much every single person here who has ordered a 'regular' Porsche would have waited the same amount of time. And people who waited for the 'in demand' ones like yourself had to wait double/triple/more? :)

Sorry for the outburst in my previous post... I just passed so many nice Porsches driving yesterday that it started to gnaw at me that mine hasn't even been built yet, let alone delivered :) 

2 hours ago, Ian718 said:

Well yeah, that puts things in perspective :)

Pretty much every single person here who has ordered a 'regular' Porsche would have waited the same amount of time. And people who waited for the 'in demand' ones like yourself had to wait double/triple/more? :)

Sorry for the outburst in my previous post... I just passed so many nice Porsches driving yesterday that it started to gnaw at me that mine hasn't even been built yet, let alone delivered :) 

Go buy an early man Cayman S to tide you over....:rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
On 29/12/2017 at 10:15 PM, Ian718 said:

What the hell am I going to do with myself for the next 3 months?

On 30/12/2017 at 1:03 AM, wirthO said:

Try waiting a year :P

Porsche Addicts Anonymous... "Hello Everyone, my name is KMan981... I'm currently 1 year 6 months..." 

Read through your thread @Ian718, congrats mate! What a journey and a ride! Glad you got good service from PCSS. Nothing's come up there for me but the sales guy I deal with has been more than helpful even if not necessarily getting a sale out of me any time soon. I'd be glad to give him the business though, most of them seem to be a good bunch and offered help whenever I'm in the area and drop by to perv at the cars.... just to get a whiff of that new Porsche smell :P

• 1 month later...

So I just got the very exciting news that my 718 has been built, quality tested, and has just boarded a ship and is making its way down under!

I've been told I will be forwarded a reference number so I can track the ship's progress. (Which will be tracked DAILY!)

My question to everyone that has gone through this hellish waiting process - how long did it take from your new Porsche boarding a ship, till it was actually ready for delivery into your hands?

48 minutes ago, Ian718 said:

So I just got the very exciting news that my 718 has been built, quality tested, and has just boarded a ship and is making its way down under!

I've been told I will be forwarded a reference number so I can track the ship's progress. (Which will be tracked DAILY!)

My question to everyone that has gone through this hellish waiting process - how long did it take from your new Porsche boarding a ship, till it was actually ready for delivery into your hands?

It depends on if they have to offload any cars in South Africa, then Madagascar, Christmas Island, New Guinea, Noumea and Norfolk Island.   If your car is on this delivery ship then it will be about another six months :LOL:

Haha just joking....  Allow about 30 days.......  Oh and by the way the last 30 days seem like the longest 30 days of your life, so best not track it at all as it is like watching a kettle and waiting for it to boil.

You sonova bitch Lucky Phil! My heart sank when I read that first paragraph saying up to 6 months :)

I don't think there is any way I can stop myself from tracking the ship... I'm kidding myself if I say I have the willpower to not do it :) Also time has already slowed to a crawl anyway!

15 minutes ago, Ian718 said:

You sonova bitch Lucky Phil! My heart sank when I read that first paragraph saying up to 6 months :)

I don't think there is any way I can stop myself from tracking the ship... I'm kidding myself if I say I have the willpower to not do it :) Also time has already slowed to a crawl anyway!

Sorry could not help myself.  It will be here before you know it

On 2/23/2018 at 5:45 PM, Lucky Phil said:

Oh and by the way the last 30 days seem like the longest 30 days of your life, so best not track it at all as it is like watching a kettle and waiting for it to boil.

Well, I was warned not to track the ship... but despite that I have been checking multiple times a day my ship's position.

The week can be summarised as thus: It has been stationary in the port in Bremerhaven for the last week. :( 

D*mn it. At least the wife is getting some good laughs out of this.

Don't say you were not warned.  The kettle always takes ages to boil when you watch it.  I see that there is some pretty bad weather in Europe at the moment. The ship is probably frozen in solid ice and will have to wait until spring for the ice to melt.:(

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, LuNguyen said:

How's the ship tracking @Ian718

To be honest, I'm not even sure I'm tracking the right ship at the moment :( 

Up until January this year, you could track your car by its VIN number inputted into the cargo id search field of the shipping company website. They removed this functionality in January 2018 due to security issues. To get around this, I was given the name of my ship, and I could track it by name on www.vesselfinder.com

Except that about 3 days ago while located in the Red Sea, my ship got rerouted to the port of Shanghai in China with an ETA of reaching there by 3 April. Meanwhile my Porsche contact, updated me on Friday with the info that the ETA of reaching Port Kembla has been moved forward from 13 April to 10 April.

I'm pretty sure a big cargo ship can't make it from Shanghai to Port Kembla in a week. Which makes me wonder if I have been religiously tracking the wrong ship for the last couple of weeks. Doesn't make a difference in the end... except for making me feel a bit stupid :)

Meanwhile my Porsche contact, updated me on Friday with the info that the ETA of reaching Port Kembla has been moved forward from 13 April to 10 April.

That's exciting to hear nonetheless! Makes for an eta of delivery around about the end of April right? 

23 hours ago, LuNguyen said:

That's exciting to hear nonetheless! Makes for an eta of delivery around about the end of April right? 

Yeah end of April is the expected delivery date. They said about 7 working days from the time it hits Port Kembla (barring unforseen custom delays).

I'm ridiculously excited!! I thought waiting 5-6 months wouldn't be that bad, because my current Audi had served me just fine up until my ordering the new car. I didn't take into account that after experiencing the sheer driving pleasure of the Porsche, it was difficult to go back to a less 'fun' motoring experience:)

I looked through your old posts and saw you were looking at getting a 997.2 or a 991 in June last year. Have you had any luck in your P car hunt?

I looked through your old posts and saw you were looking at getting a 997.2 or a 991 in June last year. Have you had any luck in your P car hunt?

I have! Will give an update in the intro thread by the end of the week. Had some very generous help from @symsy during my search. 

Archived