Please help with first Porsche purchase (718)

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

either the forums going bonkers, or its me, as last nights post disappeared, and didn't even include naughty words, religion, politics or anything remotely suss.

Anyway,congrats Ian, nice work, we are both waiting now till March for a Boxster.

And Lucky Phil, saying its only 22 weeks doesn't help, it still feels like it may as well be 2022.

My wife is already over it, I must be harder to live with when i'm waiting.

You are not going to do the whole ship tracking thing are you? ;)

Yeah the forum has been a bit unstable for me too.

I don't plan on doing ship tracking... that will do my head in (or probably do the wife's head in first). Currently I am busying myself by looking at insurance options. A quick forum search showed everyone seemed to be mostly:

Shannons

Lumley Special Vehicles (only allow 3d/week - don't allow it to be your daily drive)

Famous

Porsche Insurance

RACV (Vic only?)

Who are you planning on going with?

Nice one, sounds like a great car and a lot of bang for the buck

Personally, I would never buy a new Porsche without that little exhaust button - but thats just me; I love the sound on my Spyder, the Flat 6 really comes alive and gets a deeper raspy note with the sports exhaust turned on. @itsujack, you have the same option on yours, what are your comments? 

The 718's I have heard with the std exhaust sound a little Volkswagen like, the Sports exhaust makes it sound more flat 6 like, but as you said, if you aren't coming from another Porsche you probably wont miss anything. What you are buying is a massive step up in performance and sound, no doubt. 

You can add this exhaust later as a dealer fitted  option, it will run you $5 to $6k. Not sure on the price when factory ordered, but I am assuming less.

Thanks Ozvino!

Yeah the 718s do sound a bit VW R-ish or Subaru WRX-ish. But like you said, since I'm not coming from another Porsche... I don't quite get all the 718 reviews trashing its sound/character (Okay I kinda get it... a Porsche is an expensive car, you want it to sound 'expensive', not the same as a cheaper VW/Subaru). However on my first day when I test drove the 981 then the 718, any sound worries were blown away by the presence of that low rev torque.

Looks like the post from last night has arrived and attached to the second one.

Sorry about the 22 weeks.  I know the pain it causes and yes if your wife is already over it then that is a common side effect.  Trust me I know I was in the same boat in 2014.  I had to wait 6 months.  It felt like 6 years but was it fantastic when the call finally came to say car is ready.  Beast day of that year for sure

@Ian718 do not worry about it if you want a better sound I am sure that many after market exhaust upgrades will soon be available for the 718.

In regards to sports exhausts and sound... I feel like I'm going to alienate myself from the entire PFA population by saying this, but I might as well be truthful... if there was an option to make the 718 Boxster quieter without losing power... I would do it.

^^ Just in case it wasn't already abundantly obvious how soft I am :)

In regards to sports exhausts and sound... I feel like I'm going to alienate myself from the entire PFA population by saying this, but I might as well be truthful... if there was an option to make the 718 Boxster quieter without losing power... I would do it.

Your account is about to be deleted :D

However on my first day when I test drove the 981 then the 718, any sound worries were blown away by the presence of that low rev torque.

Plus they look so damned good ! 

Currently I am busying myself by looking at insurance options. A quick forum search showed everyone seemed to be mostly:

Shannons

Lumley Special Vehicles (only allow 3d/week - don't allow it to be your daily drive)

Famous

Porsche Insurance

RACV (Vic only?)

Who are you planning on going with?

Thanks Ozvino!

Yeah the 718s do sound a bit VW R-ish or Subaru WRX-ish. But like you said, since I'm not coming from another Porsche... I don't quite get all the 718 reviews trashing its sound/character (Okay I kinda get it... a Porsche is an expensive car, you want it to sound 'expensive', not the same as a cheaper VW/Subaru). However on my first day when I test drove the 981 then the 718, any sound worries were blown away by the presence of that low rev torque.

^^ Just in case it wasn't already abundantly obvious how soft I am :)

As it's a 'work' car, I don't really care too much who it's insured with as much as I really should, actually I mean to say i'm not stressed who they go for (i'm just grateful for the car :))

Lumleys is out then as it will be 7 days a week, Shannons is maybe too left field for corp, probably RACV most likely,we have a few cars with them inc current BMW and I'm in Vic anyhow.

If we are confessing, I agree on the loudness.  there's no getting over always knowing the engines right behind you left kidney.

I wonder the what the true benefit is in upgrading the sound system, especially in a Boxter?

Bose or Burmeister, the 2L is always going to win out in the loudness competion IMHO.

I found RACV to be very good with the Porsche.  Try Porsche insurance as well as they offer better new car replacement terms.  My Mercedes for example has a 3 year new for old in the event of a write off as well as cover on the keys which are very expensive to replace.  I did not go this way with the Porsche as mine was not brand new when I bought it so no new for old cover available to me.

Personally, I would never buy a new Porsche without that little exhaust button - but thats just me; I love the sound on my Spyder, the Flat 6 really comes alive and gets a deeper raspy note with the sports exhaust turned on. @itsujack, you have the same option on yours, what are your comments? 

The 718's I have heard with the std exhaust sound a little Volkswagen like, the Sports exhaust makes it sound more flat 6 like, but as you said, if you aren't coming from another Porsche you probably wont miss anything. What you are buying is a massive step up in performance and sound, no doubt. 

You can add this exhaust later as a dealer fitted  option, it will run you $5 to $6k. Not sure on the price when factory ordered, but I am assuming less.

PSE should be standard, every time I turn the key that little button gets a push. 

Regarding 718, I expect someone will or maybe has already, come out with THE aftermarket exhaust that makes it sound just right.

Plus they look so damned good ! 

Damn straight! The 981 and 718 Boxsters never fail to make me turn my head when they drive by... and very soon one will be mine oh mine!!

As it's a 'work' car, I don't really care too much who it's insured with as much as I really should, actually I mean to say i'm not stressed who they go for (i'm just grateful for the car :))

Lumleys is out then as it will be 7 days a week, Shannons is maybe too left field for corp, probably RACV most likely,we have a few cars with them inc current BMW and I'm in Vic anyhow.

If we are confessing, I agree on the loudness.  there's no getting over always knowing the engines right behind you left kidney.

I wonder the what the true benefit is in upgrading the sound system, especially in a Boxter?

Bose or Burmeister, the 2L is always going to win out in the loudness competion IMHO.

Haha 'work' car :) Nice work... very very nice.

I was thinking exactly the same thing about the sound system. I had a healthy dose of scepticism when turning up the volume on the Bose sound system during my test drive. Although since I'm the complete opposite of an audiophile... I couldn't even tell a sound quality difference when the car was parked with the engine off :P 

I found RACV to be very good with the Porsche.  Try Porsche insurance as well as they offer better new car replacement terms.  My Mercedes for example has a 3 year new for old in the event of a write off as well as cover on the keys which are very expensive to replace.  I did not go this way with the Porsche as mine was not brand new when I bought it so no new for old cover available to me.

I've got quotes from Shannons, Famous, LSV, Porsche Insurance, NRMA, and QBE. 

Shannons were the cheapest, but I haven't had a chance to look through all their terms/fine print. (which is probably even more important than their premium :))

I'll have what he's having.

Ian it sounds like you are doing a good deal of due dilligance, can you let me know close to March which way you go, I'll likely do the same all things being equal, and i'll owe you a beer if you get down this way. 

I tried to change some trim and when centre options yesterday  but the orders fully locked, so it is progressing!

A lot has been written and said about the sound of the new 4 already. 

What suprissed me when I had one for the day was the resonance that comes through the cabin. At different points of the  rpm range different pieces of trim would rattle. It is far removed from the refinement of the previous 9a1 six. 

The torque is excellent and the handling and steering feel is supurb however this has always been the case on the boxster/cayman platform.  

agree. Defiantly needs the sport exhaust! And probably another 2 cylinders :P

I'll have what he's having.

Ian it sounds like you are doing a good deal of due dilligance, can you let me know close to March which way you go, I'll likely do the same all things being equal, and i'll owe you a beer if you get down this way. 

I tried to change some trim and when centre options yesterday  but the orders fully locked, so it is progressing!

Hey Deano,

I got quotes from Shannons, Famous, Lumley Special Vehicles, Porsche Insurance, NRMA and QBE. I ditched NRMA and QBE based on their premium costs, and also the fact they weren't as highly recommended on the forums. Then I read through about 200 pages of Product Disclosure Statements between Shannons/Famous/LSV/PI.

This is my current thinking about insurance:

Important or assumed features that all insurers had: (So can't differentiate on this)

Agreed value
Choice of repairer
Lifetime guarantee on repairs

They pay for towing (either up to $2000 or 'reasonable' costs)
Cover for damage to other people's property (either $20M or $30M)
Air freight import cover for express delivery of overseas only parts ($5k)

Stuff that was not important (to me): (So I also didn't differentiate on this)
Trailers
After market accessory cover
Finance cover
Track/Porsche Driving Course cover
Salvage purchase
Learner/P plates/young drivers
Sell your car and get a new one - 14 days cover but pay additional premium

DIFFERENTIATING FACTORS:

Cost and excess obviously: For my details, Shannons was the lowest (2k), Famous (2.6k), LSV (2.7k), PI (2.8k). Excess was around 1% of car agreed value (so $1300-1400)

Vehicle usage: Shannons/PI/Famous all allowed the Boxster to be the daily drive. LSV allowed 3 drives/week (156 drives/year) and wouldn't insure a daily drive.

Windscreen / broken glass: Shannons/PI/Famous were equivalent. Everyone had one panel per period of insurance, no excess triggered. LSV you had to pay extra for this option. PI covered sunroof as well (all the others didn't), but we are buying Boxsters... so no sunroof :)

Total loss -> replace with new vehicle of same make/model/series (assumes you stay with the insurance from the beginnning): PI was the best at up to 4y (includes demonstrators <1k odometer). Famous was 2nd with up to 2y and first registered owner (ie demo with any amount of km). Shannons/LSV were 1y, new car only.

Hire car after an accident: PI was the best at $100/day for 14 days. LSV had a hire car for theft only, but a payable optional extra for $100/day for 14 days for accident cover. Famous was optional extra for $50/day for 14 days. Shannons was after theft only, with no option for accidents.

Personal property in car (all policies exclude cash, credit cards being used, property used for earning income): PI was the best at up to $1000. Everyone else $500.

If you damage a loan car while your car is being serviced, they pay your excess up to: PI was the only one that offered this - up to $5000

Replacement keys and locks (NB excess is triggered, requires police report): PI was the best - no limit to cost. Shannons/Famous = $2000 (consider excess is ~$1300!), LSV = $1500.

Protected NCD: Shannons was the best having this as standard. LSV = optional extra. PI/Famous = no option.

Emergency accommodation/travel expenses if accident >100km from home: PI was the best - $2000 accom/travel + $500 cost to return the car to you. LSV was $1000 but required you to have the accident >200km from home. Famous was $500 for accom/travel, $500 transport car back to you. Shannons was $500 accom/travel only.

Emergency repairs: PI was the best $1000. LSV $750. Shannons/Famous: $500.

So basically PI (Porsche Insurance) had the most generous features by far, but also had the highest premium. Shannons was the best for price and was still decent with features. Famous/LSV were too close to PI in price imo, and I wouldn't choose them because PI was clearly better in features.

So I'm going with either Shannons or Porsche Insurance in March. I guess it depends on the difference in price that they quote then.

As a disclaimer - I'm a car insurance noob, who just read through 200 page of PDS to get up to date. It is quite possible that I misinterpreted some stuff. If someone who is more knowledgeable with this stuff can correct me... please go ahead! I will definitely not take offense :)

Wow those premiums are expensive.  It also goes on where you live and if the car is garaged.  Financed cars are also more expensive to insure.

My car is garaged I have restricted drivers and standard excess.  Cost with RACV $1038 this year (including windscreen cover)  Agreed value and no limits on driving. I know RACV is only in Victoria but I would have thought NRMA use the same underwriter.

It goes a lot on (first and foremost) claim history, then post code, is it financed and age of main driver, I am sure these are the key factors so everyone has to do the leg work based on their personal circumstances.

Wow those premiums are expensive.  It also goes on where you live and if the car is garaged.  Financed cars are also more expensive to insure.

My car is garaged I have restricted drivers and standard excess.  Cost with RACV $1038 this year (including windscreen cover)  Agreed value and no limits on driving. I know RACV is only in Victoria but I would have thought NRMA use the same underwriter.

It goes a lot on (first and foremost) claim history, then post code, is it financed and age of main driver, I am sure these are the key factors so everyone has to do the leg work based on their personal circumstances.

Yeah the premiums are high because I had an at fault accident in Jul 2016 :( . Serves me right, since it was basically me going through a stop sign that I missed due to number of factors.

Thanks Lucky Phil and Troubleshooter! March does indeed seem like a very long time away! :)

I ended up going with Porsche Centre Sydney South. They had a larger range of cars to view. The sales guy there was outstanding. I can't fault him. I'm definitely going to ask for him by name when I go back for the wife's Macan.

Here is a slightly older porsche code:

I took off the PASM, after I found the lowered ride height meant scraping speed bumps and driveways. They also threw in floor mats.

It's basically stock standard, no performance enhancement, just all the comfort/convenience stuff thrown in (because I'm soft).

Maybe Lucky Phil is right and I will have caught the bug... and my next one I am going to be very concerned about performance and heading to the track... I just can't see it at the moment :)

I'm always impressed with low option builds, I am of the same mind set... you can really over capitalise on the options. Agate looks great on their sports cars. PCSS has been good to us too. 

Congrats again, cheers. 

^^ Sweet. Rock up to a customer, give her a rev before you switch of, as in 70's bogan style, and blow a flame too.Nothing like making an entrance.

Thanks for posting your  cheat sheet in insurance Ian, i'd be happy with Shannons or Racv, that's a great summary.

I have Shannons cover on my Capri, and touch wood, have a clear history.

Now just a few more months of waiting, and there will be a couple more 718's joining the Sunday morning runs.

I'm always impressed with low option builds, I am of the same mind set... you can really over capitalise on the options. Agate looks great on their sports cars. PCSS has been good to us too. 

Congrats again, cheers. 

Thanks edgy :)

If it is not too intrusive a question, who at PCSS have you had good dealings with? Anthony Jones has been helping me out with the 718... and I can't fault the guy.

^^ Sweet. Rock up to a customer, give her a rev before you switch of, as in 70's bogan style, and blow a flame too.Nothing like making an entrance.

Thanks for posting your  cheat sheet in insurance Ian, i'd be happy with Shannons or Racv, that's a great summary.

I have Shannons cover on my Capri, and touch wood, have a clear history.

Now just a few more months of waiting, and there will be a couple more 718's joining the Sunday morning runs.

Hey deano,

Are you still tweaking your 718 order? I think I've gone borderline obsessive about researching everything. After a lot of google image searching 718's, I've changed my wheels from the standard Boxster 18" to the Cayman 18" option and added the wheel centres with the coloured Porsche logo (and I've never cared at all about wheel aesthetics in any of my previous cars). I'm currently still valuing function over form - ie I want to stay at 18" in order to increase the comfort of the ride, and make the wheels less prone to dmg from the shitty potholes and road conditions around my house - but my decision not to upgrade to 20" wheels for cosmetic reasons is slowly being eroded.

I'm sure my sales guy at dealership is rolling his eyes every time he gets a new email from me in his inbox :)

@Ozvino, @deano I'd be happy with a flat 4 718 that sounded like a subaru...especially if it shoots flames

Would you be able to keep up to that Subaru in your BoxRod? (You kept up to an R8 :) )

Would you be able to keep up to that Subaru in your BoxRod? (You kept up to an R8 :) )

I have rally'd in competition with Chris Atkinson, whose Subaru that is above...needless to say he whooped my butt back then, and no doubt he still would today!

Are you still tweaking your 718 order? I think I've gone borderline obsessive about researching everything. After a lot of google image searching 718's, I've changed my wheels from the standard Boxster 18" to the Cayman 18" option and added the wheel centres with the coloured Porsche logo (and I've never cared at all about wheel aesthetics in any of my previous cars). I'm currently still valuing function over form - ie I want to stay at 18" in order to increase the comfort of the ride, and make the wheels less prone to dmg from the shitty potholes and road conditions around my house - but my decision not to upgrade to 20" wheels for cosmetic reasons is slowly being eroded.

Nah, I tried last week to add colored centre caps and aluminium trim kit, but my order is totally locked out now. Couldn't even change the tyre pressure if I wanted to.

So its white, with reverse camera, and 20 Carerra S rims, and nothing else, just as nature intended.

I already have 20" on the BMW, so I know every pothole, overthick line paint, and dodgy bridge union within 100kms.So many times I've though F**k that's going to be a buggered rim surely, but so far, all have been ok. Hope the P rims are as good.

Back to waiting,waiting.......

I have thought of sneeking back to the d/s just to see one again, maybe even sit in one.....sad, I know.

Nah, I tried last week to add colored centre caps and aluminium trim kit, but my order is totally locked out now. Couldn't even change the tyre pressure if I wanted to.

So its white, with reverse camera, and 20 Carerra S rims, and nothing else, just as nature intended.

I already have 20" on the BMW, so I know every pothole, overthick line paint, and dodgy bridge union within 100kms.So many times I've though F**k that's going to be a buggered rim surely, but so far, all have been ok. Hope the P rims are as good.

Back to waiting,waiting.......

I have thought of sneeking back to the d/s just to see one again, maybe even sit in one.....sad, I know.

Haha, I thought it was just me that was having ideas about sneaking back to the dealership to look/sit in the cars again!

Except that I am sad (or maybe shameless is a better word) enough to actually do it! My brother in law wanted me to go with him, so we are test driving some Macans on Saturday week, and then I asked for (and received the OK for) a 911 test drive as well (so I could *cough* satisfy my curiosity :) ). 

Thanks edgy :)

If it is not too intrusive a question, who at PCSS have you had good dealings with? Anthony Jones has been helping me out with the 718... and I can't fault the guy.

Not at all, our guy is Aquiles, he's great. 

I'm starting to have second thoughts on the keyless option (Porsche Entry and Drive).

I had originally assumed the technology had been available for so long that all the bugs must be ironed out, and it would be nearly 100% reliable and seamless. However some recent internet Porsche forum searching shows that there are a lot of vocal people who say otherwise.

I'm a bit wary that the most vocal people are always going to be the ones who have problems, and that might skew my perception of the prevalence of the unreliability.

Does anyone here have it? Is it reliable and seamless?

I have the Porsche Entry and Drive option fitted to my 981 Cayman and have no problems with the system. That said, I tend to carry my car keys (rather than keep them in a pocket) so it seem a bit weird with the keys sitting on the seat beside me! I have also learned not to have the keys in a pocket when washing the car as the proximity sensor will pop the bonnet or hatch which is not ideal if I am hosing the car down.

I have this keyless function on my Mercedes Benz and like nytelfer the only problem is when washing the car.  If I have the keys in my pocket when washing I am always locking and unlocking doors etc as I touch key pads (very annoying).  So I leave them on the seat in the garage to avoid then I forget that they are there when I go to move the car.  Otherwise it is excellent and very smart.  It can even tell if the keys are in the car or boot when trying to lock it

Having said that I prefer the old key in slot method which is on my Porsche (foolproof).

The Lexus have a credit card type key that you keep in your wallet, unsure if I like this.

One thing I hate is the wife's Mazda.  If the keys are in the ignition and you open the door it starts with the VERY ANNOYING music chime that cannot be turned off.  I hate it.  You should be able to turn it off in settings but no can do.  Gosh I hate that chime.  It is enough to turn me off buying another Mazda again as is the 10000 klm service interval which is just a way to make money after purchase.  (A 10000 klm service interval today is just ridiculous)

Having said that I prefer the old key in slot method which is on my Porsche (foolproof).

2 cars keyless, 2 cars require key in locks.  I hate locks.  18th century Industrial revolution tech.

Are you crazy...

Archived