Shed Thread

Pork Chops

Fixed.

You just got an invite for lunch Trev.  Bring your gear ;)

Mate my man cave is 100 square meters and cost me $60 K to do my self ( licences builder ) any building work is going to cost a substantial amount these days materials alone cost and arm and a leg let alone labour my biggest cost was getting out of the ground eg excavation and concrete was $25 K 

Understand all of that but getting out of the ground is the same cost either way to me, and I think I can do owner builder (or use a mate's license).  I'll cost up both ways and see what the difference is and how the end result may vary.  If I'm in for $100k (and I'm not saying I am necessarily) then it has to be perfect and frankly I'd rather spend $110k and the the best job.  It's and extra $10k over 10 years (say), so it's not much extra for the additional amenity.  Just need to get my facts together to see where building myself lands.  The saw tooth roof option and bricks is going to hurt me though...

I'd forgotten that you draft ;).

Update.  Adam is a Building Designer.

Pork Chops -

Awesome post.  Will have a good think about your advice.  Once again thanks very much for everyone's contribution.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sent off online quotes to Ranbuild,  Melbourne Garages and Eureka Sheds on Friday afternoon.

Ranbuild, sent through price, drawings, specs and all the details they think I need within 2 hours.  Very helpful on the phone as well

Dealing with Laurie at Ranbuild?

Polished concrete will be more expensive due to thicker reinforcing being needed and they should also use a stronger grade of concrete, as well as the need for control joints, but then again a slab that size will need control joints anyway. Why do you want such an expensive finish to a shed?

We leased our office warehouse as an empty shell and polishing concrete was cheap because it was a large open space (as the shed will be).  iIt came up great, no issuue, 6 years and counting.  Slab was not higher grade or extra reo, in fact it was never envisaged to be polished. Great thing about it is there is no sealer.  Imagine having to move all your shit every few years to reseal?

Concrete WILL crack, it is inevitable. Sometimes extra reo, heavier reo and/or higher strength grade concrete is specified to try and control or limit cracking but in my experience, it is impossible to quantify the benefits (if any).  Perhaps it might help limit crack widths but won't prevent cracks. 

i used to be involved in warehouse/cold store builds which had heavy steel wheel forklift traffic.  we used to design & construct slabs with a shake on Surface hardener that was trowled into the surface and we'd specify a "burnished" finish.  As the concrete hardens, the concretor would progressively wind up the angle on the "helicopter" trowel's steel blades and keep going and going until you had a highly polished surface.  We used to push the guys to keep going and going , only relenting when sparks were flying and they were yelling at me that I owed them for a new set of blades.   Think old Italian fella in socks working under lights to 9pm and the rest of the crew long gone.

So a burnished finish may be another option, a little more labour at pour stage but no subsequent cost to grind/polish.  It's been a while, might be a dying art with cowboy concretors these days.  Has a dark grey swirly surface appearance, no agg exposed.  only concern is to make sure it's not slippery.  You don't need surface hardener but there will be other additives you may need to provide slip resistance.

FWIW I am a civil/structural engineer, then many years as a project manager and now residential builder last 15 years.  I know enough to lead you up the garden path ?

You got me thinking about polishing my garage floor!

• 2 weeks later...

Big thanks to DJM for his time and pointers that will help me figure out how to build this space for myself.  Great to see your business too.

How to do it

IMG_2344-M.jpg

How not to do it.  In fact if you want a comprehensive guide on shed no-no's then follow a Facebook page called Garage Goals

IMG_2345-M.jpg

IMG_2346-M.jpg

IMG_2348-M.jpg

IMG_2349-M.jpg

Glad I could assist.  

That garage with a home above in the top image is a cracker, one of our guys sent me that link recently.nice contents too.  A monster cantilever always adds a bit of wow.

1 hour ago, hugh said:

I can only design a carport within your budget.................

:lol:

I love it

Serious question, care to share more about that? 

I want to do a carport like that as I don’t want a generic looking one! 

1 hour ago, hugh said:

I can only design a carport within your budget.................

:lol:

Pfft. Townie prices!

3 hours ago, DJM said:

Glad I could assist.  

That garage with a home above in the top image is a cracker, one of our guys sent me that link recently.nice contents too.  A monster cantilever always adds a bit of wow.

Here is the article for those interested. I note the way it’s described as a gallery like space and TBH that’s a really nice way of summing up what I want, albeit mine will be less grandiose. Has to be a practical space too but with the right design I’m sure all needs can be satisfied. 

https://www.dwell.com/article/this-austin-home-was-designed-to-showcase-a-vintage-car-collection-07b10c06

If you look at the below image (and yes it's a bit horrible) I see a lot of potential for the skillion roof shed design, and especially if using a finish like the colourbond product below as suggested by DJM.  Imagine some Aneeta sashless windows and some frameless stacking door systems, and the living area being sheeted out  with squareset / shadowline detailing.  Polished concrete per DJM's office, some timber joinery to soften it up a bit, grow some vine up the front to offset the grey.  Far from a dead option.

86da94739f72e88035d1606963fca136--garage

Matt-M.jpg

On 12/2/2017 at 11:05 AM, Pork Chops said:

If you look at the below image (and yes it's a bit horrible) I see a lot of potential for the skillion roof shed design, and especially if using a finish like the colourbond product below as suggested by DJM.  Imagine some Aneeta sashless windows and some frameless stacking door systems, and the living area being sheeted out  with squareset / shadowline detailing.  Polished concrete per DJM's office, some timber joinery to soften it up a bit, grow some vine up the front to offset the grey.  Far from a dead option.

I reckon this will be lovely but I reckon it'll be well north of what your stated budget is.  If you had said right upfront that you'd be happy with a $1k per sqm build cost, we could have got to this much quicker and it'd be half built by now :rolleyes:

On 12/8/2017 at 4:59 PM, jakroo said:

I reckon this will be lovely but I reckon it'll be well north of what your stated budget is.  If you had said right upfront that you'd be happy with a $1k per sqm build cost, we could have got to this much quicker and it'd be half built by now :rolleyes:

I don't think it needs to be very expensive.  It's just a slab 4 walls and roof.  Timber or tin cladding and plaster.  Few windows and doors etc.  Just needs to be done smart.  I got a second shed quote from the people who built the current machinery shed on the property (Total Span) and it's $50k.  Haven't gone through the differences with Ranbuild line by line (in fact Ranbuild have only offered drawings and verbal pricing estimates anyhow) but it's hard to see how $50k can become $100k.  So unless there is something amazing about Ranbuild I'm unaware of they seem very expensive to me.

The above image and an house extension I saw yesterday has got me excited about a rusted steel external finish.  Always loved how it blends so beautifully with a rural landscape, and especially when it's a clean, modern shape.  So maybe you're right with the $1,000 / m estimate :mellow:.

Love the look of this stuff.  Really good to deal with too based on my limited experience of them.  Good inspiration for my shed I reckon as everything is rectangular and simple.

https://modscape.com.au/

11 hours ago, Pork Chops said:

Love the look of this stuff.  Really good to deal with too based on my limited experience of them.  Good inspiration for my shed I reckon as everything is rectangular and simple.

https://modscape.com.au/

those guys do some cool stuff but man they charge!  Four walls, flat roof, some big windows and cladding should be cheap. somehow the look and the marketing allows them to crank the price.  Good if they can get it!  

i would have thought you could build a Modscape-esque building for a whole lot less than they would charge to build, deliver and install.  But I could be wrong.

9 hours ago, Pork Chops said:

Jeepers. To all the architects ‘round here I totally respect your awesome work and skillz. Forever. And ever. Amen. 

I'm a fan of current architectural flavour of straight box forms. Long may it continue!   Back in the mid 90s as a structural engineer who favoured straight lines and simple calculations, the architect was my enemy with all their bloody curves and angles and sky hooks to hold shit up, complete PITA to engineer. 

Archived