Quad Bike Thread

35 acre property needs a quad bike right? The vendor left a ride on mower but not a quaddy. They did leave a quad bike trailer and watering trailer so what to do....?

Given I’m also getting a car trailer the quad bike concept has quickly morphed from farm utility to trail riding :ph34r:. I used to have an Enduro bike and spent some time thrashing it about in deepest Wales in the UK so I’ve got some idea of how it all works. 

So what’s the go for both jobs? I’m tipping 2 stroke is off the list. Second hand? New? Best brands? Sizes? Roll over hoops :o? What else?

If you’ve done all this before then please let me have your wisdom.

TIA.

Can’t wait to go ‘farming’

49E33E18-8AF5-470D-A7B7-60635DAA2A3B-970

So what’s the go for both jobs? I’m tipping 2 stroke is off ON the list. 

The only way to go!! Get yourself a Banshee!!

maxresdefault.jpg

Although personally I'd lose 2 wheels and grab a nice KTM 2 stroke and have some fun... (damn knee and back.... :( )

Edited by ANF

Biggest single cause of farm deaths. So dangerous Worksafe will pay for half of a nifty ROPS system :o. This product actually looks really good.

https://atvlifeguards.com/

Nice but when it comes to sand I take mine with two turbos and 454CI

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ngLHfGmt5Sg

Went for a ride in one like this when in the US. 1200hp and 5seats 

For the love of god that looks fun. Imagine having so much grunt and so little weight you can pull wheelies on the sand! 

Biggest single cause of farm deaths. So dangerous Worksafe will pay for half of a nifty ROPS system :o. This product actually looks really good.

Went to a field day a few weeks ago and there was plenty of this retrofit rollover stuff and lots of safety messages and training. The use of quads is a big issue and the push is for side by side’s. 

The only way to go!! Get yourself a Banshee!!

maxresdefault.jpg

Although personally I'd lose 2 wheels and grab a nice KTM 2 stroke and have some fun... (damn knee and back.... :( )

Yeah for thrills alone 2 wheels is best, then a 2 stroke 4 wheeler, but I need it to do jobs too and stuff like electric start, reverse, auto, power steering all seem appealing.

The 3 wheeler was banned because it was "too dangerous"! 4 wheelers are even more dangerous in a roll over as they can trap you under then.... bureaucracy gone mad again....

Went to a field day a few weeks ago and there was plenty of this retrofit rollover stuff and lots of safety messages and training. The use of quads is a big issue and the push is for side by side’s. 

Side by sides being something bigger with a sorta roof or permanent overhead structure and 2 seats next to each other?

just get one of these mate if you can find one or a 110cc posties Bike,,I had both as a young kid before I got into Moto X bikes ,,there was nothing either couldn,t do and I went every were on them 70 cc and 110cc of bullet proof Honda :Chuckle2:...........and when the trike tipped over on top off you as all of the quad bikes and trikes will do it was easy to get it off your self ,,,,I wouldn,t like 400kg of grizzly quad on top of me :wacko:

Postie bike is like an old 911 ..........fuel and oil and it just keeps going and going ........they are unstoppable ....:D

Honda-_ATC-70-2.jpg

HL406.jpg

Edited by Raven

Wait what.  35 acres. I just tried the search function but didn't find the threads I were looking for...

Where is the thread on "How do I build a private race track?"  or "Has anyone here built their own hillclimb course"  or  "Does anyone have any plans for their favourite Autocross circuit?"

All I found was what colour shed should I build....

Wait what.  35 acres. I just tried the search function but didn't find the threads I were looking for...

Where is the thread on "How do I build a private race track?"  or "Has anyone here built their own hillclimb course"  or  "Does anyone have any plans for their favourite Autocross circuit?"

All I found was what colour shed should I build....

Raise the ride height on the V3s to ‘rally spec’ and we’ll go paddock bashing in the Boxrod ^_^.

Or bring the Mitsu :ph34r:.

Interesting piece. I like the idea of being able to take a kid or 2 on the UTV aka Side by Side, but in reading this UTVs are not a get out of gaol free card on safety and while they may have a full ROPS system it seems they lack the active safety of the quad, their inherent capability. I guess I’m the end they egg you on so you find trouble eventually.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.weeklytimesnow.com.au/machine/crop-gear/utvs-are-gaining-traction-in-the-market-but-are-they-better-than-an-atv/news-story/542aa8bc79f2e58b957a83af4a0b0b6e

Honda-_ATC-70-2.jpg

Apparently the Bomd movie Diamonds are Forever made these famous. They look so cool ?.

F999E10E-6B2A-41DD-8F50-78DAA49A3A13-970

Interesting piece. I like the idea of being able to take a kid or 2 on the UTV aka Side by Side, but in reading this UTVs are not a get out of gaol free card on safety and while they may have a full ROPS system it seems they lack the active safety of the quad, their inherent capability. I guess I’m the end they egg you on so you find trouble eventually.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.weeklytimesnow.com.au/machine/crop-gear/utvs-are-gaining-traction-in-the-market-but-are-they-better-than-an-atv/news-story/542aa8bc79f2e58b957a83af4a0b0b6e

They mention fatalities for ATV but only accidents for UTV. Does that mean there have been no fatalities in UTV? Seems you can not get good journalism even in the ag rags these days. 

I had one of each of these on the farm as well. The 3 wheeler was a hoot riding it on the front and one side wheel. Also great in the rice paddy as small and light with great floatation. 

we used to have an old HQ bonnet and tow it around upside down with 3 or 4 kids on it behind the 70 cc trike flat out and see who could stay on the longest ,,,how we never got seriously hurt was beyond me ...:Chuckle2:

The world of quad is a dangerous one but it wasn't always the case.  They used to be small and low powered and very limited in capability.  Of course, mankind decided that that wasn't good enough so we added (a lot of) HP which added (a lot of) weight and speed becomes the major issue.  They will tip easily.

Review what you want to do.  Tow lightweight stuff in a small trailer?  Get a large ride on mower (but my suggestion is to stay away from zero turn as they aren't suited to travel across a steepish slope and towing) and use it to do this and cut the grass.  Fun? Get a small pit styled dirt bike and fang around.  Carry more stuff than the mower solution? Buy a box trailer and tow it behind the car, or buy a small tractor that could also have a little bucket for moving lots of wheel barrow loads. 

Water (uses of it such as chemical based weeding, watering, fire fighting) is heavy so 500 litres plus a pump plus a trailer to carry it all could easily be > 800kgs which needs a car or perhaps a smallish tractor. 

I use a small 25hp 4x4 tractor that has a 4 in 1 bucket and I tow a trailer if needed (box or a dedicated 1000 litre water cube trailer for watering or fire fighting), and I also have the ride on mower and a little trailer (and a little 85 litre electric powered water tank for weeding).  In recent years I have also bought a 2t tip truck and a 4t excavator but these will go once I've finished with them. The tractor will do a lot (jack of all trades but master of none) of stuff and I reckon it's been the best thing for all of these sorts of activities.

Compared to what most people would have in suburbia it seems large but 35 acres is not really a large area (less than 400m x 400m) so getting something high powered that will go 1000 mph isn't needed.  Remember, you could be quite some time away from an ambulance or emergency services.

PM me if you want to chat about this stuff (and your shed) Porkchops, I'm more than happy to call you and chat....