Quad Bike Thread

we used to have an old HQ bonnet and tow it around upside down with 3 or 4 kids on it behind the 70 cc trike flat out and see who could stay on the longest ,,,how we never got seriously hurt was beyond me ...:Chuckle2:

Just doing some circle work. Bloody nanny's banning such a great fun machine. No way it could rollover and crush you as it was light and would just roll off. 8393CA9E-3895-4190-99A7-EE61B9A1A469.thu

Edited by Redracn

Some friends own a 100 acre vineyard up near Redesdale that my wife and I help out with occasionally (well, they own it for another couple of months anyway), so there’s a selection of vehicles to get about on. Big quad bike, tractor, mower and a Kubota tipper affectionately called Tonka. The mower and tractor have various attachments and trailers, Tonka is for lugging people and gear around the place, but with that sort of area to cover it would take a long time on foot, so motorised is essential. I seem to spend my weekends there fixing all the plant and mowing the grass, both are never ending.

I’ve never used the quad, it’s actually not much use for anything other than going quickly. The owners have tipped it too many times with little trailers on the back, so the only person who really uses it is the 18 year old girl from the farm up the road ?

35 acres is just about enough space ??

We use a one of these, similar to what you're after but probably a bit too big, also diesel. Nothing better for odd jobs around the 'hobby' farm. Prolly a bit exy for what you're doing though:

http://www.kubota.com.au/products/commercial/utility-vehicles/rtv-x900-series/

If you want something go fast second the Polaris RZR. Long as you've got 2 helmets sitting in it infinitely safer than a quad. You can also grab a mix between one of those sports jobs and something a bit more for odd jobs - bet they're plenty fast:

http://www.polaris.com/en-au/ranger-utv/ranger-500-solar-red

Yamaha do them too:

https://www.yamaha-motor.com.au/products/motorcycle/atvrov/utility-rov/viking

We've got a bunch of quads here but the one that sticks out is a 400cc Yamaha Ag quad that can do 90km/h on the road - wildly unstable though. Total death trap. I won't let my kids near it. Can't imagine how much go a 700cc one must have.

^ old school DBs.  Love it!  What happened to your head?

Yea DB’s for special occasions in the early 80’s.  Normally would have been barefoot with shorts and a singlet. My head is not suitabe for publication as it could cause those inclined to head for their safe spaces. 

+1 on a small tractor with a couple of accesories as it can do everything you will need on a small farm.

• 3 months later...

Hey Folks, just took delivery of a Polaris 570HD quad bike.  44 hp motor with plenty of performance.  I rode an old borrowed quad for a while and considered a side by side but SBSs are double the price, much bigger to place on the track and store, will tip if you take them too far (and you can't transfer your weight to control the machine properly), are slower, less fun, and harder to get in and out of when doing work.  The pluses are you've got a full ROPS if things go wrong, you've got legit seating for 2 and frankly with the tray you could get 5 on it, you can have a poly roof, you can get screens, they have car controls so the kids can learn to drive in them, the tray means you can cart stuff without needing a trailer (you need the trailer anyway so there is no saving, just convenience).  also they're LHD so for people like Tom you can be cool on your farm eqpt too ^_^.

Pics below do not have the ROPS bar fitted as it wasn't in stock but I'll fit that next week.  I personally think with the ability to control the bike better by riding it rather than driving it (like you do in the SBS), it has more active safety, and with the ROPS on it if you do flip it it won't crush you and likely you won't die.  So I'm rating them safer than a SBS, so long as you're not a muppet or don't get carried away.  I happy with the former but not necessarily the latter as I had it sideways no sooner had I read the care and break-in instructions!

I got broom and rake holders, front and rear racks and a massive rear box for storing and carting shit.  I've also got a 7 x 4 ATV trailer coming with 18" sides for extra cubes.

Happy days / come visit me when I'm a quaddy in hospital!

IMG_5464-L.jpg

IMG_5465-L.jpg

IMG_5466-L.jpg

IMG_5467-L.jpg

IMG_5468-L.jpg

Nice. But missing the alcohol interlock (for visitors after the barby of course) and as you have discovered once moving on one with a bit of power you can not help yourself. There will always be that little voice “Gas it go on you know you really want to do it”. What was that again about safety?? 

Did you factor in putting on helmet, boots and gloves for every use? 

34 minutes ago, Redracn said:

Nice. But missing the alcohol interlock (for visitors after the barby of course) and as you have discovered once moving on one with a bit of power you can not help yourself. There will always be that little voice “Gas it go on you know you really want to do it”. What was that again about safety?? 

Did you factor in putting on helmet, boots and gloves for every use? 

Lol safety gear. I’ve just had a wine and am about to jump on the quad and take the kids for a burn. What could go wrong?!

quad bike,

side by side,

polaris,..

pattern forming here... Just tell us the real truth Pork, you are secretly wanting to do the Paris-Dakar.

Those guys are nuts.

I thought all farmers have a weird looking postie bike Ag bike?

If you do want one, my dad and I bought one from Fowlers Actions  (it was back then), direct after aussie post was finished with them.

There was around 30 to choose from that day, and condition A,B,C et was written under the seat.

He kept it for a few years as a commuter, then sold it off for more than purchase price. Good from jumps too according to ACA

36 minutes ago, edgy said:

The Polaris are great machines, I like the Rangers but they’re pretty damn pricey here! 

I have a John Deere Gator for yard duties.... I don’t have 35 acres either. Just a red neck! 

Yee har! I call my place ‘the ranch’ and my wife says there has to be horses to call it a ranch and I say not if there is a cowboy! It’s all about the toys and the fun. I think it might do the job too...

17 minutes ago, Pork Chops said:

Yee har! I call my place ‘the ranch’ and my wife says there has to be horses to call it a ranch and I say not if there is a cowboy! It’s all about the toys and the fun. I think it might do the job too...

I agree with you, no need for horses... toys = mandatory. 

32 minutes ago, Pork Chops said:

It has horse power, more than a good enough reason to call it the ranch ?

2 minutes ago, sleazius said:

I'm in the market this year for a side by side. Anyone ever bought a quad second hand? I've only ever bought new but the price of side by sides is up there!

Can’t comment on SBSs but there is a 2010 Sportsman 300 Polaris quad I’ve borrowed for the last 6 weeks. New one is chalk and cheese compared to it. Well actually they do the same thing and have very similar features but the new one is mint to ride.

I have limited experience with farm eqpt but from what I’ve observed ‘market’ value of second hand stuff is not worth the bother. But perhaps I’m applying a car mentality to it. E.g. a Toro mower is $14.5k brand spankers and one that is essentially the same but 7 years old, with less then 300 hours (fuck all)  has a fair market value of $10k. No warranty, buyer beware, and none of the benefits of 7 years of development.

My 2c.

I’ve spent the last few months driving one of these Kubota’s round our friend’s vineyard (it’s affectionately known as Tonka) and I’d have to agree with you Nick, I wouldn’t buy one secondhand no matter how cheap.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/greta/miscellaneous-goods/kubota-rtv-900-4-x-4-utility-vehicle/1171577767

Tonka has 1800hrs on it and most of those will be in 5-10 minute runs where although it gets up to temperature it’s being thrashed. Drove it 2-3 weeks ago and it’s definitely going to cost the new owners to replace it, the hydro clutch is rooted and the seats are barely intact. Struggled to tow an empty trailer on anything other than flat ground (of which there isn’t much) so yeah, for the price of 2ndhand I’d buy new. At least you then know its usage and storage. Tonka’s been outdoors for a good stint and it shows.

Its pretty obvious if a piece of farm equipment has lived its life outdoors, we've also got one of those kubota ATVs and it is pristine. Parked in the garage it's whole life. I think the thrashing argument is a valid one though. Most quads in particular do cop a hammering.