My 944 Cabriolet

944s2cab

Hi all, 

first off, I'm not quick at typing but will try and update regularly, I'm going to figure out the photos soon,

My father bought an 89 944 cab (110,000 miles) in 1997 for £11,000, I actually dropped him off to pick it up, over the years he used it regularly to and from work, a 200mile round trip, in around 2002 he had to fit a replacement engine, he sourced a (supposedly) 40,000 mile good engine, that engine lasted until 2014 when too much piston slap developed, that's when it got its present power plant, now my dad is a fastidious owner, always serviced, milage cataloged, bills etc, what killed two engines then, I believe it was the 5w-40 fad of the 90's and naughties, she now runs Penrite HPR30, 

On my numerous trips to the UK we regularly track day at Brands hatch being our favourite, (Paddock hill bend is worth the entry fee alone,) When we moved there for a 2 1/2 year period from 2012 to 2015 I used the car as my daily driver for a year, it was then that my dad gifted me the car as we were getting his long term (20+ years) TR4 project finished,

Scoot forward to Oct 2016, when she arrived in Aus, after a short while I realised AC is a must, which brings me to what this thread is about,

I thought I'd catalogue what I'm doing and how I'm doing it,

AC is complex, major bits, Dash out HVAC blower box change (thanks to Russ, who was great in dealing with a dodgy courior) , Alternator bracket (thanks Timm) and condenser, HVAC control, Condenser ( fabricate Parallel flow) Pipe and hoses, there are so many little bits which need to be done to be right, Like the alternator cooling cowl which needs to be changed, 

A few months ago I sold my66 Beetle, for $12,500, so I went on a spending spree, Including

Full service with belts, pump etc (as needed)

VEMS with Coil on plug, Bluetooth all set up and plug and play,

17" cup II wheels, Federal semi slick sticky rubber

Bilstein B6 with Bilstein rear coil over kit, 145 lb springs,

Bilstein B6 strut inserts with H&R lowered progressive springs, 3/4" aluminium coil lift

Becker Indianapolis radio with Bluetooth

Leather seat covers from Lseat

Rear seat covers from Only944

Oh and I'm going to participate in the PCNSW series next year

I'm still waiting for the majority of the stuff, But I am keeping the car on the road throughout this process as I enjoy driving it too much

Getting the power(?) down at Brands Hatch

ciY-mIx0jJKTkRptAC5qJ_KFTcoVpnuJ4CQeFCdE

Dad's Triumph TR4

NUbsXfkrZ0dvaKUgfzW2rWg_hcPlSps16hUvWQX7

tiFOJnbtF3_6dETinb4WhRxyjihufxu_2JwU57hj

My old VeeDub

mZ8qgcfqiQyQCr2xNO-2qmG4u4csAa00AT2Hmx1s-Cup2 wheels with Federal 595RS-RR, 215/50R17 Front, 235/45R17 Rears

OZ1g64AsPeFqS6l5aIDjAbY-zCGipnSB6VbKB7p9

Who says Porsches aren't practical

sk60c3yxDyK8xIc4hbKXmW4fBC1CKJE0Bj5kznsS

Edited by 944s2cab

Nice bit of family history and back story there. Good luck and sounds like you have a bit of a project there...... as always pics make it - try one of the third party photo hosting sites.

Thanks, I'm trying to sort the pics out, Uploaded a load to photobucket, just trying to edit my post with them in 

Looks great in your profile picture! Look forward to seeing more.

if you are only in Canterbury we will have to meet up at some point and get some Ying Yang shots of the cabs.

looling forward to hearing more about your project too!

Sounds great, however a bit of a drive as I'm in Canterbury NSW, lol

How do you like the VEMS? Did you install it? It is on the list of future mods for my car.

Haven't received it yet, should be here next week, I'm really looking forward to it, I have a few mods planned, Sequential injecting, type 3 Bosch injectors

Update on yesterday,

I have Wednesday off work, so I got the car up on ramps, removed the exhaust and welded in a bung for the O2 sensor (required for the VEMS), refitted exhaust, fitted new AC drier, and line from compressor to condensor, Had to remove sheared off bolt remains in AC compressor, 

Didn't take any photos but now I've got this going I'm going to have to remember to take them as I go along 

Thanks, I'm trying to sort the pics out, Uploaded a load to photobucket, just trying to edit my post with them in 

Avoid photobucket, anyone but hem should be fine. They want to charge you for the process, most others are still free.

I ordered 4sq ft of leather when I ordered my seat covers, Here's my first re-cover job

UXJp9N0NPuijb6AHB2PUCHObChQ5WK-kV0c-c6JQQ83rjNCusOLc4hFXYWFr3dc3A4wnPLSH3UN5BwlG

Here's the well worn old cover

lkSi5gqyDDwKYvODMk-OOCGoZUfEYAGWARHY58cc

Porsche script inlay on lid, Black vinyl on base

4SQUGjzawhcJZYD_Gp7HE8owdHOS93KbvLtf0jm7

Here's the Lseat seat cover, 100% leather, including the side and back panels, colour is not perfect but close enough, looking for a weekend free to fit them,

They're not as yellow as the picture makes out,

er7Tn3BTA2lRUejWPWwGDSqtRmNJT6T5J0_MnoEE

Here's the universal fit parallel flow condenser made to fit, getting to grips with ally MIG welding,

Just waiting on the final hose which should be here on Frday, then bypass the pressure switch, make sure the compressor clutch kicks in, then off to AutoFrost's for a pressure test and (hopefully) re-gas

t3WSm78yDsMQVWGFSbRWiE1qNjxbQN6e6EgT5nF1

An all time classic in AutoFrosts, it was a privilege to see this up and personal, Only a 959 would top this

s4dVbqiawODVW_eFbbDO7J5Og3xlMpe2-4eReypn

Edited by 944s2cab

Steve,

First time I opened your link - no Photos

Scond time opened just the first photo

Then decided to register and logged in and then I could see all the photos from your first post

but

none of the photos from your second post.

Maybe it just takes time for them to be made available - but don't really know.

JUST REFRESHED THE PAGE AN LO AND BEHOLD YOUR PICS RE THE UPHOLSTERY APPEARED. SEEMS IT JUST TAKES A LITTLE TIME AND/OR PERHAPS A PAGE REFRESH

Keep going its nice to see what you're doing with my old car! Your first recovering attempt looks brill!
Dad

Got home yesterday to very well wrapped up package from the UK

Final piece of the AC jigsaw

GmkWHwqdliCz-uVCyi1SZm49ktFcUi-cwXH2P9e5

with new pressure switch

Czls9tq-6FATxS9WC3McHaLrqny-BEN1GgzASOwZ

Always thought this radio would go well with the oval dash of the 944

O_bbEVfLNJ8KCVUb5l6dMeVtpplEkGsWBK7_i_9S

Came with a few bits and pieces including the original receipt for £700

VdfIi38_IkLqVdFYTqPKbErbmo-WVn9UdR5KZKuj

Looks like I've got a busy weekend

Edited by 944s2cab

• 2 weeks later...

Sitting in a cafe around the corner from AutoFrost AC having a cappuccino and custard tart, it's a hard life!!, so far she has held up to 200psi of nitrogen and is holding a vacuum, Oil and dye has been added and hopefully in an hour or so I'll have AC

UPDATE, 

My car now has AC, I'm so chuffed with myself, it's a real big and at times fiddly job, steep learning curve, new skills learnt (Ally welding) sourcing parts from the US, UK, QLD & NSW, 

Total cost is under a grand (not including my labour which was 40+ hrs)

I can't recommend AutoFrosts (milperra) highly enough, Michael knows his stuff and was only to happy to help me in my fabrication of pipes/extensions.

I'm feeling very lucky that nothing went wrong, I feel I should buy a lottery ticket, may go in my nice "cold" cab

uELBvhH9H3WWoHHcGkpH26xv8BwwXneW_PAraGmG

Look what else was in AutoFrosts

EqqYY9BFzyvOZ62b2bR62ZF4ME3ZsW357wF-BiqD

My threaded tube for my Bilstein strut conversion arrived today, 

Ground off the top pressings on the struts (spare pair of 968 struts), removed the innards, deburred, the diameter of the threaded tube is perfect

Waiting for my B6 strut inserts to arrive before I cut the top of the strut to the right size and weld in the threaded tube

i was worried that the threaded tubes would be flimsy but they are nice and solid

The hole on the side is from a previous idea which was shelved but came in real handy when removing the shaft as it allowed the pressure out so I could yank up on the shaft (like a reversible hammer action)

z6uUe9JJNHXYYxAZg_dSUoUlUnXgC-bCDtCjsiW6

fIQHWz20scF3AlGohw2jasnDBefwxjru7ih67VD-

tGbmgWRp4uwPvwMIhUFw9vDja9qe-F8cS68E628t

AkrVnlIuLRvKfwQ_JNA0RlA-IkZH-4fvLDsTcp4U

ZSMQLT_sEIdX9TB9HlFuNR0TS0mefCQDRjQ3Ktda

x47MrpaCRqrmi1rns3RW0j-amj2353LA_Lwnrnqu

oNAo9_KvucTny1D6FSYU-nyxtD30f_MWCe9rtTVT

Just an update,

Change of plan for the rear suspension, due to Summitracing taking an age  (month+) to send my order, I have changed from supplementary rear coil overs to larger torsion bars on their own, this way is  a lot less hassle, cheaper and neater, I've taken advantage of the sales in the US and paid a little over $300AU for 26mm (189lb/in) TB's delivered https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C12-6569-26, these should go well with the H&R progressive (reportedly 190-230lb/in) front springs

Here's  a thread from TIPEC where UK 944 expert, Jon Mitchell (JMGarage) offers some very sensible advice on suspension

http://tipec.net/_forums/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=14769

Stripped the rear seat, removed cover and packaged them up, being sent to LSeat in the US, if you supply the covers they haven't got pattern for, they produce them and you only pay 50%, the only944 vinyl cover is now being commisioned as a loose fitting cover for when the dog rides in the back,

U8N-6G81XeDk4f2qGAKypLX-iu2cG6550tPNwTCo

These clips secure the seat cover to the luggage compartment floor, bloody dog fur everywhere, knew we should have got a poodle!!!

HxDxqt3BG7n9020fcdyjfuA5xppP4tAigQfMhNAe

onX2k_eCm8ZVP8FhWl0UVE4i-id1pf9z3zSFE60Z

They weren't shy in using the glue, yes, that is a puddle of glue at the bottom

1CfLh_wM4S1He4IYJrFTZk_mVZT6Gbkx7Ngi7umJ

Bloody strong glue too

yrbH_aYwKtP5EDLrDd14yxaZlORotJoCGceqkUbN

I guess it's official, my interior is Linen (LEINEN)

42LW_IUngmzBAkxLDXEekvfPNbxRMTjaUQ4UL_lm

Underneath the seat base, seat belt anchor bolt hole and thread to keep cover tight (where your butt goes)

7GP8yiCm-IzFmwNv7GLueSJ84IFncoOSKZ5ChdBN

Does anyone else see an elephant with no trunk???

4b9k0K0Wz1s_LmjmO1ZTGuA-7V51U8unzhVdGz_c

Got to love the Germans use of plywood 

I too see the elephant image in the leather image Steve, so you're not alone.

Keep up the progress reports, and I hope soon the rear seat will be sorted (and the dog will have some new places to drop fur!)