944s2cab

My 944 Cabriolet

47 minutes ago, ANF said:

Envious Steve!

You shouldn't be, not as much fun 2nd time around, plus always that nagging feeling that it'll go pear shaped again,

Just spent the last hour checking out running in oils, decided to go for  20L of Penrite running in oil (15W40) Repco have 30% off at the moment so it's only $105, should do fill up and 2 more oil changes, then will switch back to HPR30

Quick update, 

Picked up 20L of Penrite running in oil on Friday, Thought I could possibly get it on the road on Saturday but have had a weekend of dramas,

First No oil pressure when cranking with plugs removed, DME relay removed,  and wondering if the engine needed to come out AGAIN, After looking online I primed the oil pump via the oil filter housing, got good oil pressure,

Then no start, Computer couldn't connect to VEMS ECU, Took the case apart and the PTC ( resetable fuse) was tripping, fault diagnosed Ignition coils (COP) output IC was dead short to GND, Luckily Jaycar had some, Picked up 2 and 2 IC sockets and spent the rest of Saturday and into the early hours of Sunday, repairing the ECU, This morning I had issues connecting to via bluetooth and funny symptoms (Fuel pump running continuously and Injectors pulsing) at this stage I was getting a bit peeved, and then I thought I'd convert back to Motronic system, 4 hours later it started first time, she was a bit tappety but cleared up after 10mins, Just got to correct a pinched oil o ring on the oil/air seperator, then Wednesday, it'll be Blue slipped, and registered,

P.s The engine sounds sooooo smooth, 

Hope everyone had a good weekend 

The next few photos show how I indexed the rear spring plates, As I've had many Vee dubs, All of them lowered, I am familiar with the rear setup

A brief explanation is 

make a bracket mounted to the spring plate caps, mark on bracket the position of spring plate when on the ground, remove lower rearest spring plate cap bolt (to allow spring plate to fully drop) Jack up rear of car until the wheel leaves the ground, Mark on bracket, The difference between these two marks is the amount the suspension compresses for the weight of the car and rate (size) of torsion bar, in my case the so=tock bar is 24mm (137Lbs effective rate) my new bars are 26mm  (189Lbs effective)  so you dived the old bar (137) by the new bar (189) =0.725, then multiply the distance between the two marks by this, this will give you the amount the new bar will allow the spring plates to compress, measure this new compression distance from the TOP mark (mark made while car was on the ground) this will give you the new (26mm bar) un-compressed location, place spring plates to this new mark 

whilst doing this I found out that there might be a better way to measure the height etc, it is from the top mounting hole of the torsion bar carrier to the spring plate, this will make re-indexing easier as uyou wont have to fit the spring plate  caps to measure the distance, 

Mine with the new 26mm bars is 215mm

kMtIurKaPg25eiJunQyHiA-VCzbfpauGXWCwDqLc

yYzN28Eeruix3ViR4qiXqRmpVh8Rkkj12sE96Uuj

duRyLBD0fKVwXDtYFMkaNXLurq_pUuHzsrM6Ffav

iB3KKv2kkkPX7R8EQyWcaj4UEAVt0LEe0RvkaETb

Proper running in oil, $125 for 20L

yCcQMrPhWBKqBge-3ch2N_estleIgWeNaubzd1Se

Today was a good day, got off work early, Fitted wheels,  got a blue slip done, sorted out insurance (NRMA's Veteran and Vintage has gone up over 100% since November 2017, so the card got a hammering today, went to Service NSW in Burwood to register, pick up my gift to myself (can you see it?)

Tomorrow, I'm going to re-gas the AC, and put some K's on the engine

$20 for a wash, Be rude not to

CTA2y0pWKLPTKEotaIZkz03UKfBVCOM_OisA0nAX

11hi7OvCn-VAvjK2BgdTBXuz5azNYjkICQ3c-f_8

23 hours ago, 944s2cab said:

Today was a good day, got off work early, Fitted wheels,  got a blue slip done, sorted out insurance (NRMA's Veteran and Vintage has gone up over 100% since November 2017, so the card got a hammering today, went to Service NSW in Burwood to register, pick up my gift to myself (can you see it?)

Tomorrow, I'm going to re-gas the AC, and put some K's on the engine

$20 for a wash, Be rude not to

CTA2y0pWKLPTKEotaIZkz03UKfBVCOM_OisA0nAX

The guy on the left doesn't look too happy about being photographed...

But well done on getting it back on the road.

Nicely done with the new number plate letters and numbers Steve.

Drove over 250Km's this weekend, only (small) issues are speedo packed up, then started working but left the odometer inop, I guess I'll be ordering ANOTHER gear, on two occasions the revs dropped to 1400 rpm (instead of idle) and then slowly lowered, I suspect dodgy TPS idle circuit, also the oil pressure gauge flutters at idle, I'm hoping it either a ground or the OPRV,

Had my mechanic mate do a leak down test, they were PERFECT (I'm very happy,

I Have booked it in for a 4 wheel alignment a week Wednesday, Hopefully the 968 caster block will have arrived by then, as it is it rides nice, no harshness

Got to say I'm loving the stock DME, it does what it says on the tin, I have a new found appreciation of how well sorted the engine management is, so I think I'll be keeping it and if I want more power then supercharging may be the way to go.

Plan on getting another 800Kms or s, then have it dyno'd

Plugs looked good when pulled, means that I'm not drastically over fuelling with the gen3 Bosch inj. despite 14% more flow,

I have ordered a wideband controller and display to plug into the O2 sensor so I can keep an eye on the AFR's