My 944 Cabriolet

944s2cab

13 hours ago, 944s2cab said:

Run in procedure

Ran the engine for 15 minutes to bring up to temp, drained oil (20w50 mineral with Lucas zinc break in additive) and opened up oil filter, oil was a shimmering silver and no large bits of metal in filter, fitted new filter, refilled with same oil combo, just driven 120K's today, Oil change (very faint shimmer to oil), refilled with Penrite HPR30,

engine is smooth as, revs more willingly than before, 

everything is looking pretty good, 

Will be tuning for the next few weeks

Now, when's the next PCNSW sprint event??

Well done mate that was a fairly quick turnaround.

6 hours ago, TINGY944 said:

Well done mate that was a fairly quick turnaround.

Thanks Tingy, yeah, Im pretty chuffed, One point I forgot to mention was that I passed the old oil through a sieve, There were 3 mosquitoes and 4 hairs, short curly ones (go figure)

• 1 month later...

Just an update,

It seems like 10 steps forward 1 step back, Whilst running the car, it started to get harder and harder to start the car. now with an aftermarket ECU you're never quite sure if it's that or something else, but it does give you access to see what is happening, one of the features is "trigger log" which captures every tooth of the flywheel, cam syn and ignition events, very clever stuff. with this feature I noticed that the cam sync sensor was not functioning correctly, a  $15 VW Audi sensor off ebay arrived but I could not fit it because I was off to the UK on holiday, when I got back (a week ago) I started back on the car, changing the ignition setting from sequential to wasted spark meant I got the engine running, removed the original hall sensor from old bracket, remove new sensor from VW/Audi bracket and transplant onto original bracket, fitted this to the car , checked the "triggerlog file" and saw a nice cam sync signal, but noticed that my speed sensor started missing teeth on the flywheel as revs increased then disapearing completely above 2000rpm, I have ordered a BMW Bosch sensor, the same but with a slightly longer lead, but a lot cheaper.

I have just set the cam timing as per factory specs, a job I had been putting off for a while, as it turns  out, it was pretty close to begin with

Just waiting for the sensor to arrive from the UK and resisting the temptation to respray the bonnet, front panel, repair/paint front wings, fit new suspension,,,,,,,,,it never ends

• 4 weeks later...

Well, the sensor arrived, fitted it, ran but not well, very smokey, decided to do a leak down test, cyl. 4 was poor, took the head off and what I saw made me cry (seriously it did) I'll let the photos do the talking, Pistons are on their way to the US to be tested, ALL BORE AND PISTON AND RING MEASUREMENTS WERE SPOT ON, I have my ideas as to what has happened but I'll wait until Wossner get back to me.

I'm looking at sourcing a good used block/craddle/balance shaft covers from the UK and running the set of original S2 pistons ( I have a good set in the garage)

Piston no.1

6BLQzlwfhXvjRwQ194iYlhrxRxfJl0_dhNySnXXm

15DL9pijl_tTJsJahSgGl_TTvGJklZaObLDqTpxW

Cyl. no.1

P4kl1LDcYn3TXlC7oTqWwWASUQq2ykNjWcBmATqw

piston no.2

A3HWbJ9dYtAVmA9lApRQbQq_fPfvB7XBoD6XLokRcAVlrplchnnM2S3Bt_psn26u-zNi4Ob3tqwV6IR4

Cyl.2

4BWxxYDslm86speyROU3M0s9nj1APcQhcX2o1XL9

Dbd42UiC0dIp76u1z7DZtMyaMGyUGpo7SnK-DZfT

Piston no.3

52-F7c4zvry7-_pafrfJOdT8hA4yM8IsGHLUlduM

Y4Zup7THMRsQO3ce32l6VpR4CoNW8P2OnxczJUJi

Cyl.3

t0mzuqpR1p_xXb5yVIjz-DEHRDvL-ReknelgNuFH

Ft2WJMq9Z5q8ejNsCXrjMxeQRdbeRivPWULtJFK-

Piston no.4

AW5KiSgSLKw9pOZ-Vwc8_2iM2Y0wpWkPWHHbI1Y7

WEzsrcHhYyJDnjDj_GNV5nHnCP5flKv0Z8Djl4i2

Cyl. no.4

7hzBeViixaf_V9pB9MBdp_BdoO65h2M9pGXlZzKc

eq_3Tmc0coNgC1ZcoKkRzDVkPvBN8zyj3SsGbiTW

Plus point is that I made up my front struts, (maybe this is my technical limit????)

AwVSxHNPyMXn-cX4xnqw8hNs6tBNd106Zhb4p8Et

yAuRIM3KI_LdWmsN7ouZYw8sw-uIX6dn92AQrzTL

Hi Steve , I may be seeing things that are not there , but do I see cross hatching in one of the photos of one of the alusil cylinders ? ,  I /we have never seen that on Alusil cylinders , it may be a process I have never come across , but normally we see the cylinders with a NON cross hatched mirror finish 

The below is the process 

Sunnen - Above And Beyond Honing
My Account

Honing Options for Hypereutectic Aluminum Cylinder Bores
Background
Alusil®, Lokasil®, Silitec®, DiASil, Mercosil, ALBOND® --- it sounds like a foreign language, but these are all trade names or trademarks for what is generically known as hypereutectic aluminum, a new/old material for cylinder bore wear surfaces. Hypereutectic aluminum is both new and old. Its cousins, hypoeutectic and eutectic aluminum, have been used for pistons and connecting rods for a number of years. Hypereutectic aluminum saw one of its earliest applications as the wear surface in an unlined cylinder in some Porsche engines in the 1960's. The 1971 Chevrolet Vega was the first true production automotive engine with a liner-less hypereutectic aluminum cylinder bore as the wear surface. Despite the car's reputation, the cylinder concept was ahead of its time.

No matter what trade name is used for this alloy or how the cylinder was created, this material is something rebuilders should understand because it may represent the future of cylinder technology and will probably start showing up more frequently in rebuild shops.

When properly finished, hypereutectic-aluminum cylinder bores present a surface to the piston rings that's roughly equivalent to glass [Figure one]. The resulting engine has lower friction, excellent sealing, improved dimensional stability, improved heat dissipation, reduced weight, better recyclability, lower manufacturing cost and higher durability - compared to the traditional aluminum block with cast-iron cylinder liners.

Aluminum cylinder evolution. 
Since gasoline burned and forced a piston down a cylinder for the first time, aluminum has been the metal of choice when light weight was the most critical requirement for an internal combustion engine. This is as true today as it was in 1902 when the Wright Brothers were unable to purchase a suitable commercial engine for their experimental airplane and built their own, casting the aluminum block.

Automotive OEMs seized upon aluminum for the same reason and found manufacturing advantages, too: lower cost casting processes and easier machining. Aluminum automotive engine blocks are pretty much the norm today, and the standard solution for a cylinder wear surface has been, and still is, a gray iron liner. While low-cost, durable, and easy to manufacture (the key decision points for OEM's), engines using the iron-liner solution have inherent disadvantages in weight, size, thermal conductivity, differential thermal expansion and recyclability.

Consider that a minimum land width between cylinders must still be maintained, even with an iron liner. So the liner-equipped engine is still unnecessarily large, still has differential expansion and reduced heat dissipation issues, still needs a heavier and larger cooling system, etc.

A major advance came in 1971 when GM used Reynolds A390 aluminum alloy in the linerless Vega block. A390 is a hypereutectic alloy saturated with silicon, such that silicon particles are dispersed throughout the alloy similar to chocolate chips in cookies. "Saturated" is the key word. Small amounts of silicon will dissolve in aluminum and become inseparable, but above the saturation point (the "eutectic" point), silicon will precipitate out in crystal form. Typically, this begins to take place at around a 12% silicon concentration, and the hypereutectic cylinder surfaces in use today range from 12% to 20% or more in silicon concentration. Depending on the manufacturer, traces of other elements likely to be in the alloy can include copper, manganese, magnesium, phosphorus and strontium.

After traditional machining of the Vega engines, the factory cylinder surface was produced by chemical etching to create a surface where individual silicon particles protruded a small distance (perhaps 0.00004"/1 µm or a little more back then) above the aluminum cylinder surface. This process in cylinder preparation was, and still is, called the exposure step, whether done by the OEM or rebuilder. The intent is for the piston rings to ride on the silicon particles, not the aluminum cylinder wall.

Hypereutectic aluminum cylinders have evolved considerably since the Vega. And while GM led the way with the Vega engine, today Europe and Japan are leading the trend to the linerless aluminum block. OEM's using the material include Mercedes, Audi, Porsche, BMW, Volvo, VW, Jaguar, Yamaha, and Honda. Manufacturers of power sport vehicles, outboard motors and compressors also use hypereutectic cylinders.

Finishing without chemicals. 
For the OEM, chemical etching of the cylinder wall was a non-traditional process and an intermediate step. The OEM wants to pour the block and put it in a transfer line. Chemical etching also became increasingly burdensome as environmental regulations tightened.

Whether it's in a rebuild shop or an OEM plant, the key to preparing the cylinder surface is to expose a tribologically optimized wear surface of silicon that withstands the grinding friction of pistons rings on the bore surface [Figure 2]. This requires relieving a small amount of aluminum from around the silicon particles. The ideal surface should have flats on the silicon crystals and crystal protrusion of 0.00002" to 0.00004" (0.5 to 1.0 µm) above the aluminum, with a minimum of holes (crystals torn from aluminum) and fractured crystals. The end product can be visualized as lily pads (hard silicon) sitting on still water [Figures 3 and 4].

Hypereutectic aluminum crankcases present another obstacle for metal cutting, which has led to advancements in the way the alloy is formulated. Silicon particles quickly destroy cutting tools. Several solutions have evolved. Tooling has improved with PCD and similar materials. Much effort has also been focused on improving tooling life by altering metallurgy to reduce silicon particle size, while retaining the excellent tribological properties of the hypereutectic surface. Based on SEM (scanning electron microscope) and VEECO-Scan studies of early cylinder surfaces and new products on the market today, it appears the silicon crystals have been reduced in size from about 10 µm originally to about 1 µm today, which would materially improve the machinability of the material. [Figures 5, 6, 7]

OEMs also devised ways to localize and limit the use of silicon through the use of cast-in hypereutectic aluminum liners, selective die casting and flame-sprayed coatings. Casting the block around special liners complicates the molding step and production rate. Flame spraying represents an additional process step between the mold and the transfer line.

The Holy Grail is the ideal combination of metallurgy, cutting tools and lowest-cost casting technology that allows machining blocks straight from the mold, and some OEMs have found it.

Finished Cylinder Bore Specifications. 
On the rebuilder's side, Sunnen developed a GM-certified method for restoring a factory-quality surface for the Vega engine. Damaged bores were honed oversize using conventional abrasives, followed by an "exposure" step using a special lapping paste and felt honing pads. The process could be used with hand-held portable tools or honing machines. It produced excellent results and was ideal for occasional users. That process has since evolved, thanks to metal-bond diamond abrasives, and today there is a new honing option for OEMs or production rebuilders, as well as the low-volume rebuilder. It should be noted, too, that rebuilders have the option to use a replacement, press-fit hypereutectic aluminum cylinder liner available from Kolbenschmidt, if a cylinder is damaged beyond the point where it can be repaired by over-boring or honing. The honing process described here will work with this replacement liner, too.

In our honing process development work, we found that no two manufacturers of hypereutectic cylinders have identical specifications - similar to the situation with plateau specifications for cast iron. Several block manufacturers have patented manufacturing technologies, so rebuilders can expect to see variety in the alloys and the physical make-up of the cylinder wall.

There are, however, some generally common requirements for honing hypereutectic aluminum cylinders. First is the need for excellent geometry. Cylindricity limits of 0.0005" (0.013 mm) are typical. Limits are also placed on the percentage of fractured or displaced silicon crystals at the surface, which must be free of any torn or folded metal.

Because the silicon crystals are distributed throughout the metal in a homogeneous manner, there will always be some that are nearly machined through and will be displaced from the surface. Specifications typically call for about 80% intact particles.

There must be a minimum of sub-surface fractured material. This is largely a function of the prior boring step and the amount of material removed by honing.

Lastly, the exposed silicon particles must protrude above the base aluminum from 0.000004" to 0.00004" (0.1 to 1.0µm). The exposure height is related to the size of the silicon particles in the alloy. Smaller particle size will mean less exposure height. Average exposure height today is about 0.00002" (0.5 µm).

Honing Process.
Assuming the cylinder was bored using high quality machinery and PCD or equal inserts, the honing process will have two or three steps: honing, finish honing and exposure. From a honing standpoint, working with hypereutectic aluminum is somewhat the reverse of working with cast iron - the end result is measured as a desired roughness or peak height of the exposed silicon.

The essence of the honing process for hypereutectic aluminum is to first produce an ultra-smooth, mirror-finish surface with the initial honing steps, then finish with an exposure step that will actually increase the roughness, as measured with a Profilometer, by relieving softer aluminum from around the silicon. The desired end result is an exposed surface of rounded-edge primary silicon particles.

Tooling for the initial steps should be selected according to traditional guidelines for high-precision honing. Machine settings, such as RPM, stroking speed, stroke length, etc. should be similar to those used for ordinary precision work. Feed rates are selected to complement the part geometry and abrasive characteristics. All abrasive should be fully trued to produce 100% surface contact at the diameter corresponding to the finish-honing step. Crosshatch angle is less important than with cast iron and will typically be rather flat (5-10 degrees) due to the slow stroking speed. Instead of a crosshatch, the aluminum cylinder relies on the area between the silicon crystals to hold its oil film. Keep in mind that the goal in the initial steps is produce a very accurate bore with a fine (mirror) finish.

MAN-845 Honing Oil is the minimum requirement and it should be filtered to at least 0.0004" (10 µm), preferably 0.0002" (5 µm). No water-based coolants should be used. In our process development work, we found that high-performance EP oil caused a sludge build-up, which impeded contact with the ultra-fine honing grit used in the exposure step. This is the result of the extreme surface area and high energy found in freshly cut, ultra-fine metal chips. These conditions facilitate far more aggressive chemical activity with the oil additives than would be experienced with larger metal chips.

In most cases, the first two honing steps can be accomplished with conventional or diamond abrasives [Figure 8]. However, because of the high value of these engine blocks and the wide variety of OEM materials and manufacturing methods, it is critical for a rebuilder to know the exact recommendation for reconditioning abrasives or consult a honing abrasive supplier. Some cylinder materials may simply require metal-bonded diamond for all of the steps. Conventional abrasives with bronze guide shoes are unquestionably the most economical option for infrequent work with hypereutectic aluminum. In production or OEM work, diamond is preferable for the first two honing passes.

The first honing step may not be required if the block has been bored with a final finish of <=19 µin. Ra (0.5 µm) If necessary, as a first honing step we recommend removal of 0.001" in. (25 µm), using classic abrasives or a 29 µm diamond, to produce a finish <=19 µin. Ra (0.5 µm).

The second finish-honing step removes 0.0001" (2.5 µm), again using traditional abrasive or a 9 µm diamond to produce a finish <=3.9 µin. Ra (0.1 µm).

The final exposure step requires a new specially developed, elastomer-bond abrasive (XM27), using light honing force. For the exposure step, we recommend tooling with the greatest abrasive surface contact area. This step is based on time, typically 1-1 ½ minutes for 19 µin. (0.5 µm) exposure height. Longer cycle times are not harmful, because the process is somewhat self limiting. It is absolutely critical that honing force or pressure be kept as low as possibly, while still maintaining tool stability. Surfaces shown in the accompanying illustrations were honed with less than 5 lb/in2 pressure.

The elastomer based -stone- [Figure 9] is purpose-designed to overcome three limitations of rigid abrasive in the silicon exposure process. First, the elastomer serves as a cushion, deforming to allow individual abrasive particles to literally bounce over the silicon particles, while still being rigid enough to cut the surrounding aluminum. Second, the elastomer dampens or limits the overall force applied to the abrasive, making the process very forgiving of variations in pressure from the honing machine feed system. The honing tool diametrical expansion does not have to exactly match the rate at which the cylinder is increasing in diameter from stock removal. Third, the elastomer conforms to any taper or out of roundness in the cylinder, allowing it to remove very small (0.00002"/0.5µm per side) amounts of material, uniformly throughout the cylinder. With rigid abrasive, any out of roundness in the bore would result in abrasive cutting pressure variations as the honing tool rotated.

Critical Point - Process Verification. 
Any shop planning to do work on hypereutectic cylinders must have a Profilometer® or similar instrument for contact surface texture measurement to verify results. The instrument should produce a trace, not just a readout, and must be capable of Rk, Rpk and Rvk measurements. These engine blocks can cost $4000 or more, so honing without a Profilometer to verify results would be negligent.

Prior to the exposure step, the Profilometer will should show a very smooth surface <3.9 µin. Ra (0.1 µm), which becomes rougher - according to the instrument - after exposure. This is because the instrument senses the exposed silicon crystals as surface finish features (peaks). Several traces of the stylus across the surface may be needed before the stylus hits a silicon particle to verify peak height [Figure 10]. The absence of a peak means you probably need to make another trace. The presence of a peak verifies success. If no peaks are encountered after 8-10 traces, more time on the exposure step is needed.

Hypereutectic aluminum is not yet a mainstream material, and the different alloys and OEM manufacturing methods ensure there is no "standard" to refer to yet. However, the honing techniques outlined here were developed for OEM use and can easily be practiced in rebuilding. Nevertheless, until it becomes as familiar as cast iron, rebuilders may want to proceed with caution, and consult a honing abrasive supplier as needed.

Here is the procedure that was used on my block (original PDF at the bottom of post)

INSTRUCTIONS FOR HONING HIGH SILICON ALUMINIUM

ALLOY ENGINE BLOCKS – ALUSIL

Engines: Chev Vega 2300, Porche 928, 928S, 944 Mercedes Benz 3.8L, 4.2L, 5.0L, 5.6L, 6.0L V12, BMW 750i M70 V12.

INTRODUCTION

One of the most significant features of these engines is the use of an aluminium die-cast engine block that does not require a steel or cast iron liner in the cylinder bore. Pure particles of silicon, averaging .001”(0.03mm) or smaller in diameter, are dispersed in the aluminium alloy throughout the engine block. To achieve the proper surface for ring and piston compatibility, the cylinders should be prepared in such a manner that the silicon particles protrude from the aluminium so the piston and rings contact only silicon. Because silicon is very hard, there will be very little wear in the cylinder bore. In fact, as far as the piston and rings are concerned, the cylinder wall is a silicon wall, and the aluminium’s function is merely to “hold” the silicon particles.

If the cylinders become excessively scorn or worn, they can be reconditioned with either automatic or manual honing equipment to accept oversize pistons. However, the usual sizing and finishing operation leaves a cylinder wall of silicon AND aluminium - - - the silicon does not protrude. Therefore, a special “Conditioning” operation is needed to remove aluminium from and between the silicon particles so the silicon WILL protrude. This is the reason for the Conditioning operation which follows the honing operation, explained in detail in these instructions.

USING SUNNEN AN111 PORTABLE CYLINDER HONE GENERAL

T ooling
AN111 Standard Cylinder Hone
AN80 Quick Coupler
UN60 Universal Honing Stand
5/8” Chuck Electric Drill 200 – 300 Rpm Stone Sets: MM33J63

MM33J85

MM33C05 Felt Set: MM33F05

AN30 Sunnen Silicon Compound AN35 Storage Box
GA2125 Dial Bore Gauge

Flood cylinder with MB30 Honing oil throughout each honing operation, using a continual spray pump or applying continuously with an oil squirt can. Failure to use enough oil will result in stone loading and possible scoring of cylinders. DO NOT use honing oil on the final Conditioning Step.

HONING PROCEDURE

NOTE: Figures for stock removal rates, Stone wear, and Surface finishes are general information only, and are all approximate.
CAUTION: To avoid hitting main bearing webs and damaging stone sets, use a mild steel or aluminium washer in the bottom of the cylinder.

1. Roughing Operation – using MM33J63 Honing Stones

a. Hone to within .003” (0.075mm) of finish size.

Brisbane Head Office Unit 1, 22 Hugo Place Mansfield Brisbane 4122 Phone 07 3420 0844 NSW Branch 5/12 Donaldson Street, North Wyong, NSW 2259 Phone 02 4353 5551

(1) Stone MM33J63: remove the top 1” (25mm) of honing stone.
(2) Stock removal rate: approximately .0035” (0.09mm) per minute. (3) Stone wear / Stock removal ratio: 1 / 1
(4) Surface Finish: Ra 25 – 30 microinches (Ra 0.6 – 0.8 mirometers).

2. Finishing Operation – using MM33J85 Honing Stones

a. Hone to within .001” (0.025mm) of finish size.

(1) Stone MM33J85: remove the top 1” (25mm) of honing stone.
(2) Stock removal rate: approximately .002” (0.05mm) per minute. (3) Stone wear / Stock removal ratio: 2 / 1
(4) Surface Finish: Ra 15 – 20 microinch (Ra 0.4 – 0.5 micrometers).

3. Polishing Operation – using MM33C05 Honing Stones

a. Hone to finish size

(1) Stone MM33C05: remove the top 1” (25mm) of honing stone.
(2) Keep the cylinder hone feed pinion tight.
(3) Stock removal rate: approximately .0007” (0.018mm) per minute. (4)Stone wear / Stock removal ratio: 2 / 1
(5) Surface finish: Ra 4 – 6 microinch (Ra 0.1 – 0.2 micrometers).

4. Conditioning Operation – using MM33F05 Felts

Wipe cylinder clean of any abrasive or foreign matter from preceding operations to avoid scoring or scratching cylinder wall.

a. Saturate MM33F05 Felts in honing oil.
b. Mix Sunnen Silicon Compound thoroughly.
c. Coat Felts and entire surface of polished cylinder wall heavily with Compound. d. Condition first cylinder as follows:

(1) Tighten feed pinion wing wrench as tightly as you can with fingers.
(2) Condition for 1 1⁄2 minutes, stroking with 1/8” (3mm) overstroke. (Longer overstroking tends

to cause ends of Felts to wear faster, this may result in uneven conditioning). USE NO HONING OIL – it would wash away the Silicon Compound. Periodically tighten the feed pinion. The cylinder will have a dull matte finish, approximately Ra 12 – 18 microinch (Ra 0.3 – 0.5 micrometers). There will be no significant stock removal.

CAUTION: Be sure to replace Felts as required to avoid metal holders making contact with cylinder walls. Must be replaced in sets only.

e. Repeat steps c & d for each cylinder.

NOTES: When not in use, the Felts should be stored in the Sunnen AN35 storage box to avoid contamination. Sunnen AN30 Silicon Compound is a carefully formulated substance and should be kept free of any foreign matter. Use only clean brushes and do not attempt to reclaim any of the Compound from Felts or cylinder walls after conditioning.

If presently using CK50 Honing oil, use C30A53 honing stones. MB30 Honing oil reduces the possibility of damage to cylinders due to stone loading.

Watson.pdf

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update as to what is happening with the cab. 

First off, Piston manufacturer have not accepted responsibility but have issued me a full refund and discounted set of replacement piston (details of pistons to follow), I'm not going to get involved in any mud slinging online, but i have my opinion which is shared by numerous "knowledgable" people.

I'm ready to move on and rebuild the engine (again) and here's the plan, I have a new set of Wossner 104mm forged pistons coming from Karl at Racers Edge (who I can highly recommend as not only knowing his stuff but is an honest and helpful person) The block is being shipped to Electrosil in Melbourne, it's going to be bored out,  Aluminium liners (3mm wall) with a Nikasil coating are then fitted, the Nikasil is then honed to 104mm, as an added security the original bores have a lip at the bottom to stop the liners from possible movement AND they are also bonded to the block, I'm happy  that this is the best way forward

I've have also removed all the (rusted) bolts on the rear suspension (with only one sheared bolt) in preparation for the fitment of 26mm torsion bars to match the (approx. 200Lbs) H&R progressive springs up front

On a side note, I'm hoping that the next time my dad comes to Aus, He and I will be participated in the Targa Tasmania Tour, the Targa tour gets to run on the same (closed) roads as the real Targa, But have to keep under 135KPH (or posted speed limits, YEAH RIGHT), so no timing nor racing and hopefully no crashing or breakdowns, Just six days of spirited driving on closed roads with no oncoming traffic

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

Well I've started on engine rebuild #2, 

Was going to have Nikasil coated Aluminium liner fitted until the machine shop in Melbourne decided to double the quote once I sent them my block, so I sent it to the same machine shop who did the original machine work to get some Iron liners fitted, 

Not sure where I got to but Wossner did not accept responsibility (no surprise there) but gave me a full refund, Karl at Racer's edge felt bad for me and sold me a set of 104mm at a heavily discounted price, once they were at the machinist and after checking, double checking, triple checking the clearances with emails to Wossner in Germany, the block was finished, started on re assembly on Saturday morning, carried on this morning and have fitted the crank, rods, pistons and head, oil pump, hoping to getting it back on the road in a couple of weeks, just in time for a special treat i bought for my self,

$30 sheet of Form ply makes a better table for engine assemblyzsmTFw4FXS0wIn41tMVK5ZTT0h-ky0HFaW1RZSSy

2x 450mm AC fans blowing air into the garage above the bench

ZzrOeC8QduGcw3cMzF4RP-ScfnFkAycKTAiJ0jUL

Nice clean block and BS covers

WKJpqYqAzmsd1wMYsxbjccQRvPdEBKAfveEAJbJi

pkxQHkMKTroXBfxb4QPoC08YCE9qspgBR9ASCkFg

The Iron liners were opened out to expose the windage ports

JA_qK-7F9XnIZKCBQbNJhmjcsOCE6taBfT_NWOeZ

Recycling extreme, deckjing board, flyscreen door, and wadding from Spotlight Bjbelbw0DT5_4-LFytQzkeT2O_omTXC5r5usHfpt

Hylomar coated Cometic head gasket

dBz1ZoeHfms1M7nsxfRhrSRnsl8cijb8UB_eCpkH

Oil pump fitted

otZUY8SmrerIkqVw_OnbjlJAIYhnIfrFBnlzGNFe

Tomorrow morning plan, fit balance shafts, water pump,  pulleys and you never know maybe fit the engine, I'm fitting it differently this time, I'm going to fit with minimal ancillaries as last time it was a real pain getting to bolts etc  when fully assembled 

Also, repaired the bottom of the front right wing, 

Seemed to have lost the photos of the rust hole and plate welded in,

Thix is just a quick paint job to drive around in until I respray (once the engine is done)

YaL4BUBoVYOWwj1eQIAJFBXpX4EJU7x9KTA5r_Kc

EJOyPpSZ3hVk6cyMUCSXaSwjZzcILm2iHMygFkyB

rsehbaFhOSUxlMag5erel6kmcQ1kDBY_mtX1mNRR

hxGc7EbVQBiKwBVXzpZat7UPwsw77vELswd4qbjX

While I had the 2K clear I gunned some on the valve cover

ZfnJKoJ5JQxQQLvqDszKIZcBk4QfJrP2izc4Hscx

Front struts fitted, 

XcimqetDBOGkZ_9zv1n_3DyKBiDo1E592WlA8V2j

Great job, I admire your enthusiasm and skills to do it yourself.

Just a word of caution with zinc electroplating metric bolts for the general community (not saying you have any issues), bolts marked with PC8.8 on the heads are OK but PC10.9 can cause issues and lead to premature failure.  I'm presuming most high tensile items on Porsche cars will be 8.8 but worth keeping an eye on it.

Higher strengths can be plated successfully but they must be baked in an oven within 1 hour of plating (HER process) and not all shops have that facility.

The issue is hydrogen from the acid cleaning process gets trapped in the steel grain which can cause cracking and catastrophic failure once hardware is loaded to high tensile strengths.  Tightened loosely would be OK.

6 hours ago, Stepo said:

Just a word of caution with zinc electroplating metric bolts for the general community (not saying you have any issues), bolts marked with PC8.8 on the heads are OK but PC10.9 can cause issues and lead to premature failure.  I'm presuming most high tensile items on Porsche cars will be 8.8 but worth keeping an eye on it.

Higher strengths can be plated successfully but they must be baked in an oven within 1 hour of plating (HER process) and not all shops have that facility.

The issue is hydrogen from the acid cleaning process gets trapped in the steel grain which can cause cracking and catastrophic failure once hardware is loaded to high tensile strengths.  Tightened loosely would be OK.

Thanks, you learn a new thing every day, I'll definitely check out the grades

8 hours ago, Stepo said:

Thanks, you learn a new thing every day, I'll definitely check out the grades

She's in, maybe fire her up this weekend9ZYmWPF79lkX8w4p_PLsNDybd4rfWmzJFBVsV7VH

Forgot about the missing rear end

J1V2PrjhoW7oydHCBC2pp2CDwWeKVnVTB_8h3ibY