• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This has to be value as well, yeah i hear dirty import but at that price, can you really go wrong?

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-2005/SSE-AD-4800928/?Cr=23

Interesting that the analog speedo is MPH but the digital odometer appears to be kms... I guess that will allow you to work out your fuel consumption as kilometres per mile :P

Interesting that the analog speedo is MPH but the digital odometer appears to be kms... I guess that will allow you to work out your fuel consumption as kilometres per mile :P

or for us old guys, we could work out miles per gallon too  (divide kms/ Litre by 100 and multiply by 282.4 from memory......)  

This has to be value as well, yeah i hear dirty import but at that price, can you really go wrong?

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-2005/SSE-AD-4800928/?Cr=23

I agree, as long as its clean underneath, its compelling value compared to the higher priced 996 tippers, there seems to be a bunch of those floating around at similar money. 

37589303434_f2e6bba1d3_h.jpg

Hi guys, does anyone know or have any (hopefully constructive!) comments about this 997S Gen 2?  Seriously thinking about adding a manual Gen 2 as a daily driver.  Could be wrong, but I don't think manual 997 values are going much lower.

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-2010/SSE-AD-5079022/?Cr=39

Thank you one and all

General question, is the 997 non S worth the $30 grand premium over the 996?

Or is a really good 996 say like Simonk's a better prospect? 

One thing to consider is to ensure that you are comparing apples with apples. I suspect Simonk's car is a well loved and sorted example, when comparing that to a tired 997 you may find that the $30k difference is only the opening difference with extra costs required to bring the car up to standard. 

37589303434_f2e6bba1d3_h.jpg

Hi guys, does anyone know or have any (hopefully constructive!) comments about this 997S Gen 2?  Seriously thinking about adding a manual Gen 2 as a daily driver.  Could be wrong, but I don't think manual 997 values are going much lower.

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-2010/SSE-AD-5079022/?Cr=39

looks nice, although a lot of money for a daily driver when you compare it to this https://carsales.mobi/cars/details/Porsche-911-2007/SSE-AD-4780025

looks nice, although a lot of money for a daily driver when you compare it to this https://carsales.mobi/cars/details/Porsche-911-2007/SSE-AD-4780025

Can't see myself dropping the kids at school in a bright yellow GT3 . . . not my style!  I know some guys use a GT3 as a daily, but I really don't know how  . . . must be brutal on the speed bumps and in heavy traffic.

• 4 weeks later...

Bugger, bugger, bugger.

Thought I had found a perfect Gen 2 manual, but a PPI at Porsche revealed that the car in question has previously suffered a level 6 over-rev (level 6 means over 9,500 rpm!).  Presumably a missed shift while driving flat out.  The tech told me that Porsche would have immediately invalidated their warranty if the car was still covered.

Back to the hunt.

Mate these are the ignition ranges of my 06 997 C2 S my car has a level 6 also I think it is BS Rev limit is a fuel cut at 7500 on over revs ,,,so the only way you could do it is on a down shift eg 4th to 1st at 150 kph ,,,,,,,,,I have never done that and I do not believe the previous owner did it as I know him ...........? I am open for opinions and view points on this but I seriously doubt the car did 9500 rpm at 1018.4 operating hour ..

Number of ignitions range 1

2247 / 1374h

Number of ignitions range 2

222 / 1367h

Number of ignitions range 3

12 / 1366.9h

Number of ignitions range 4

1 / 1018.4h

Number of ignitions range 5

1 / 1018.4h

Number of ignitions range 6

1 / 1018.4h

Operating hours counter

Vehicle Identification Number

WP0ZZZ99Z6S730720

Data version

0041900007103A01

Type ID DME control unit

9978EU200

Order type

Country code

C23

Transmission type

Transmission number

G9701

Interior equipment

TD

24 minutes ago, Raven said:

Mate these are the ignition ranges of my 06 997 C2 S my car has a level 6 also I think it is BS Rev limit is a fuel cut at 7500 on over revs ,,,so the only way you could do it is on a down shift eg 4th to 1st at 150 kph ,,,,,,,,,I have never done that and I do not believe the previous owner did it as I know him ...........? I am open for opinions and view points on this but I seriously doubt the car did 9500 rpm at 1018.4 operating hour ..

2247 / 1374h

222 / 1367h

12 / 1366.9h

1 / 1018.4h

1 / 1018.4h

1 / 1018.4h

Operating hours counter

WP0ZZZ99Z6S730720

Data version

0041900007103A01

Type ID DME control unit

9978EU200

Order type

Country code

C23

Transmission type

Transmission number

G9701

Interior equipment

TD

Agree with you Raven, I had 997.2 3.6ltr manual & did a couple of rev limit cut outs in the targa tas ( I was inexeperienced then, thought I’d killed it ). IMHO & experience,  I agree with you, really hard to get to 9,500 rpm without destroying the thing. I have over reved a 991 I had as well up Mt Bulla ( Targa high country ) to cut out limit & I believe these cars are well able to protect their vitals unless you are a repeat offender on a regular basis.

My car does get driven and I would say the ranges 1 2 and 3 are all my driving ....Guilty  ...........but if you do the calculations on this the the engine has done a total of just under 6 seconds of over revs in its 1374.4 operating hours ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I just don,t believe you could  achieve that range 6  9600 rpm on manual car and not do damage even if some one took it for a spin at the dealer or if it had been on a dyno and flogged ,,just dosn,t seem possible yet it has a record of it ....?

30 minutes ago, Raven said:

2247 / 1374h

222 / 1367h

12 / 1366.9h

1 / 1018.4h

1 / 1018.4h

1 / 1018.4h

Operating hours counter

WP0ZZZ99Z6S730720

Data version

0041900007103A01

Type ID DME control unit

9978EU200

Order type

Country code

C23

Transmission type

Transmission number

G9701

Interior equipment

TD

Yep range 4,5,6 are BS as your car has only just touched a range 3 over rev and probably only once.  You can not have 1 spark of cut in range 6 without a lot more in range 5 and more again in range 4 etc.

I would disregard any numbers under 5 or any numbers that are the same as the range below. All crank sensors at some point will give a false signal which can be recorded as an over rev which is usually very high and results in every range being incremented by 1. A faulty crank sensor on the other hand can really mess with the over rev numbers. The over rpm counts of spark cuts are not infallible so need to be carefully analysed and not taken at face value?

That certainly would explain the ranges 4 5 and 6 ,,I must admit I was very concerned when I first saw it earlier in the year ,,,but after doing some online research and leaning a little about how this works my mind was eased some what ,,,,the peace of mind came from the knowing the car had done and additional 350 plus hours of flawless driving after the event ,,if there was a problem  with the engine it would have showed up a lot earlier stage in that time frame I would think ...

I think your 4,5,6 ranges are probably a glitch . . . it's ridiculous to talk about 1 ignition.  But sadly, the car I was looking at has recorded over 550 ignitions in Rev Range 5 as well as 8 ignitions in Rev Range 6 . . . I don't feel I can ignore that. 

Here's a quote from a very reputable UK Porsche tech which is applicable to your situation (http://www.911virgin.com/porsche/rev-range-information/):

"We are regularly approached to help interpret Rev Range Data. The ability to separate genuine incident from an erroneous recording is critical. In general terms we would consider the registering of less than 10 ignitions within a given range to be no cause for concern. 10 ignitions represents fractions of a second, insufficient time, in our experience to cause damage. Porsche take a different view and consider the registering of a single ignition (one third of an engine revolution) to be relevant. A single ignition recorded in rev range 3 or higher within a 200 operating hour period means that an engine compression test is deemed necessary.

The registering and recording of a single ignition at such high engine speed, in our view, is just not possible in the same way that a single ignition in, for example, Rev Range 4 can't follow a single ignition in the previous rev range. In order to pass in to a higher bracket of engine speed the engine must complete at least a full engine revolution, a minimum of 3 ignitions."

Yep can’t ignore 550 as long as range 4 has a lot more. Its all simple physics as the link points out. It would be easy to technically destroy Porsches view that 1 count matters. 

The ECU could ignore the RPM due to false crank sensor signals if the programmers were smart enough as any incorrect pulses will cause mismatch in the number of teeth counted between cam shaft signals and between the missing teeth on the crank shaft. 58 in a 60-2 setup. 

32 minutes ago, Redracn said:

Yep can’t ignore 550 as long as range 4 has a lot more. Its all simple physics as the link points out. It would be easy to technically destroy Porsches view that 1 count matters. 

Car had about 700 ignitions at OverRev Range 4, so I think I'm being fair and reasonable in walking away . . .

Mate if i saw that many I would run away that particular car must have done some hard track work or Targa activities that is a lot  ,,,,,,

My initial post with my data was simply to cast some light on my car showing a 6 also and to let you know it is not as bad as Porsche  makes out ,,I also know some other 997 owners with single range 4 5 and 6 like mine and we have always felt it was BS or some sort of anomaly ,,,,,,,,,,as many have stated above having one of these is not the end of the world and from your posts above I can see you have a good knowledge of ranges and how all this works ,,,hope you find a well looked after car for a good price ...best of luck in the hunt for one

• 1 month later...

Surely they have to keep coming down as all newer 997.2's and 991's are coming off lease assuming buyer interest in all ordinary 911's is steady?

Of the 170 Carrera's on Carsales, 57 are 991's, 30 are 997.1's, 16 996's, 15 997.2's, then the rest.

I'm sure no one can predict with any certainty as there are too many factors involved.

Archived