I think they'll stay in the price range exactly where they are ...

on 2nd thought being better than 986, 987, 996, they'll go higher ...

although the downwards pressure of 7.2 and 991 will push them lower...

in hindsight they will go up, or will go down, or will stay the same, depending on cond vs klms vs $$$:Chuckle2:

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All good answers!  I have seen the 996 hatred seems to be dissipating.  So as their prices rise they might push the 997.1 up also.  The 997.2 in manual will be a rare beast because the GFC hit at that time.   Time to drive a few 997.1's in manual and see if I can make it the new daily

• 4 weeks later...

Here's hoping they go up! (not that I brought mine for an investment)

A rough like for like comparison in terms of manual, kms, year and options; the cheapest I can see at the moment on CS is around 10k more than what I paid for from a dealer 2 years ago!

(2 year of ownership this Saturday!) :Beer:

I think the big rise will definitely come from the 7.2. Especially the hens teeth GTS

Update on purchase prices of 997.1. Paid $78,000 plus on roads privately for a black 2005 manual coupe C2S with Sports Chrono and lobsters. No leather or PSE. Newer ims bearing.  Has 115000kms but one owner since new. Full Porsche service history since new also. Required intermediate service, manual gearbox oil change, brake fluid flush, aircon re-gas (from ppi), airbrush of usual aircon buttons and centre console ashtray totalling around $3,500 of repairs/services. Not much change out of 90k with stamp duty but primo condition now. 

After a couple of months looking for manual coupe 997.1s I came to realise the Australian delivered ones that are priced under 90k sell quickly (relative to kms and condition of course). I missed out on three as they were advertised and the next day sold before I even had a look in. The one I bought I called as soon as advertised and offered subject to PPI. 

Considered 997.2 c2 PDK for only a little bit more but really wanted manual. In retrospect perhaps with the updates to the interior, pcm, exterior and no ims, new dfi engine, it would have been better to buy the 997.2 c2 with Chrono and had the practicality of an auto box ad well. Only time will tell I guess.

996 is definitely making a recovery (as it should) - far too long overlooked

997/997.2 - great cars, cant see the .2 holding current values with the 991.1 now hitting the used market. Not sure I would take a 997.2 when it seems you can get into a comparative 991 for not a whole lot more, especially when you are talking PDK 

46 minutes ago, Ozvino said:

996 is definitely making a recovery (as it should) - far too long overlooked

997/997.2 - great cars, cant see the .2 holding current values with the 991.1 now hitting the used market. Not sure I would take a 997.2 when it seems you can get into a comparative 991 for not a whole lot more, especially when you are talking PDK 

I think there would be some (me included) that would go for a 997.2 over a 991 simply due to size and appearance.  Although agree that 991 price should bring 997.2 down

18 minutes ago, D2000 said:

I think there would be some (me included) that would go for a 997.2 over a 991 simply due to size and appearance.  Although agree that 991 price should bring 997.2 down

yeah, I hear you - 997 is a great looking car, but the 991 has grown on me

On 12/02/2018 at 9:42 PM, Troubleshooter said:

Welcome mate, how long ago did you purchase?

Thanks buddy, early December 2017

18 hours ago, wilburforce said:

Sounds like a great deal mate - well done.

Colour? Pics?

Thanks for that, think it was good deal for both sides. Despite the fact so many 997.1 models were sold owners seem to generally hold on to manual coupes so really buying in a sellers market at the moment.

Having some maintenance work and then detailing done but will post pics down the track. Detailer told me to buy white but only black came up. He’s not going to be happy hahahaaa 

16 hours ago, LeeM said:

Saw a black 997 with lobsters the other day. Nice car for sure, nice one @OUTATIME

Lobsters pretty good oem choice for weight and  durability apparently. Seem to suit 997.1 well

• 2 weeks later...

Want to Buy:

As some of you already know, I'm looking for a Gen 2 997 Carrera S . . .  with a manual transmission.  Most colours ok, but I'm not a fan of black.

No finance needed, can move quickly, and won't muck you around.  PM me if you are a potential seller, etc.

PS:  Apologies for the post here, but let's face it, this part of the forum gets most of the attention.  The WTB section is a bit of ghost town.

On 26/02/2018 at 9:04 PM, npvpositive said:

Want to Buy:

As some of you already know, I'm looking for a Gen 2 997 Carrera S . . .  with a manual transmission.  Most colours ok, but I'm not a fan of black.

No finance needed, can move quickly, and won't muck you around.  PM me if you are a potential seller, etc.

PS:  Apologies for the post here, but let's face it, this part of the forum gets most of the attention.  The WTB section is a bit of ghost town.

What about this? 4s

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-2008/SSE-AD-5102083/?Cr=12

8 hours ago, ET997 said:

Yeah, I've had my eye on that one (it's actually the ONLY one on the market at the moment!).

Complications are:  WA location, UK import, 4S rather than rear wheel.  WA location is no big deal, UK import slightly bigger deal, 4S is the deal breaker for me . . . I have my heart set on rear wheel drive.

Im not so sure they will go much lower and if they do it will be a very very soft landing in my view. These are the great buy at the moment , modern enough , yet still intimate an have a good drive and character. A car you can daily, without being overly complicated, you can easily just have one home and enjoy at the weekend .   996 Turbos and GT3  are a pick of the previous era and the 996 a good entry to WC and for porsche newbies, but 997 a real more refined proposition, in most models. I really like the S.  

With model change market factors there are so many new Porsche models, change will continue to be thick and fast. Porsche is pumping the variants and wants volume.  We have a lot of change a foot 991 GT3 Manual,  991.2 already , 911T , 911R etc all new and yesterdays news in a blink of an eye .  I havent tracked the cycles but the the old 5 year cycle of update of cars seems/feels to me to be getting shorter and shorter. I think therefore after the current swap out of 991 generations ..997 will become very stable and will be an easy to own iconic shape offering a great in cabin experience in an intimate and classic kinda way.   I am looking at what special, high spec cars are coming on the market, which is few but im sure some gems will pop up.

Its a good time grab a great car not too old , thats been loved or thats not got too low in value that its been abused and botched by every backstreet mechanic about now. A bit philosophical but in my review, around the 10 -15 years old is when this happens to a lot of Porsches.  To close I know the my GT3 is the extreme of that era , but I have become a real advocate.. of the 997 and WC range, dare I say it even the GT3 is comfy.. :) 

Definitely! Fully loaded and from what I’ve read the Chrono may actually improve the tiptronic. While it doesn’t do a great deal of things on the manual apparently it does a lot more on the auto with shift patterns (I’m not a techie.. yet) Problem though the market seems to kick tiptronic 997.1 models pretty hard regardless compared to manuals. An excellent ride despite this especially if you added quality flappy paddles instead of the buttons for manual mode. 

Archived