Targa Porsches - whats the deal with them?

withers

So, I've gotten the hint that the Targa roofs aren't too popular amongst enthusiasts. Which seems to be reflected in the price of cars for sale. Which also, seems to be a good thing for the buyer that wants a bit of convertible and coupe without having one or the other! Seems one may get a great car for less than a coupe

Can you say - verstatile?

So other than these reasons I can think of, any others why they aren't as sort after?

• Rattles and air leaks
  • Car might not be as rigid for those who love the corners/racing etc
  • Have to use the boot space to store them
  • The targa top probably needs to be recovered every *insert years*

I see them personally as being a nifty option, also very retro and 1970s.. also a definite feature of past motoring history too.. ie look at the Trans Am of the 1970/80s for example.

Any other reasons why they aren't so popular?

I don't want to open a can of worms here.. and will respect all opinions :)

We need a pic!

5564459789_0ba22eea95_b.jpg

Porsche 911 Targa Generations by Auto Clasico, on Flickr

I'm with you Amanda. I think the Targa is a great option, to the point that I had one under serious consideration until I was talked out of it by me beater. The 993 roof was supplied to Porsche by a third party and adapted to the convertible body.

They look seriously gorgeous IMHO but if they fail you are in a world of financial hurt. Parts are harder and harder to come by. Can't really coment on the later models re reliability, but the old stuff has no complicated moving parts so should be easy to maintain.

Considering the small sunroof size, a Targa is great if you want the best of both worlds.

However, not everyone sees it that way, hence the price.

Agree, like the oncept, although when I was looking for my old 911 I got the impressions that the older ones leaked like nothing else (and not just air), which sort of ruined the appeal for me.

Some of them look great though.......

Theo, love that term "financial hurt".....................very relevant!!

cheers

Peter

Parts for the mechanical 993 roof is what I was referring to Amanda.

The roof mechanism is extremely complicated and is driven by a couple of motors via some special cables.

Seals are the easy bit. If you strip a drive gear, damage a cable or cams that lay in the roof rails you have a huge cost for parts, when available, and the labour involved can be substantial.

And, that's if you can find someone "truly" familiar with the intricacies of a 993 Targa roof!

Remenber that this mechanism not only retracted the glass but also operated a blind. Absolute genius design!!!

FYI I have attached an interesting link. Once you read this you will think twice about a 993 Targa.

I know I did, and I like to think I'm more than a little mechanically minded.

http://www.pcarworkshop.com/index.php/993_-_Targa_Roof_Operation_Outline

Guest Nick987

I love 'em, at least the pre 993 ones (sorry Theo, no offence) and especially the 964 Targa's. Will never forget my first P ride in a red 78 model 911 Targa. Love the totally open look, never really agreed with the 993+ design, saw it more like an oversized sunroof than a 'real' targa.

I love 'em, at least the pre 993 ones (sorry Theo, no offence) and especially the 964 Targa's. Will never forget my first P ride in a red 78 model 911 Targa. Love the totally open look, never really agreed with the 993+ design, saw it more like an oversized sunroof than a 'real' targa.

No offence taken Nick. Yes, the 993 is like an oversized sunroof and I think that's what initially appealed to me.

The 964 and earlier Targas were classic and spawned into other brands and models like Transam/Corvette versions. Porsche Targa was a type of hybrid coupe/convertible. No doubt the earlier Targas were alot more of a signature style of Porsche than the 993.

Yeah people seem to think they're not the iconic Porsche thing, but I personally wouldn't have even bought a Porsche if Targas weren't available - not that I don't like coupes, it's just that Targas are what 'grabbed' me. I should consider myself blessed that they're more readily available & affordable.

I had the top off and windows down at night on the freeway the other day when I took my car for its first registered spin, cold night and no real dramas, me and my mate were speaking to each other without any effort etc (the vent in the dash that I haven't found out how to close was louder than the wind noise from the open Targa top). Just awesome

Guest Nick987

I really love the one piece all glass wrap around rear screen. Really progressive design for it's time. Love that about yours Hezath. I reckon they look the business lowered a little to fill wheel arch gaps with the top off and windows down. Love that stance! Very civilised design, all opened up and can still talk and hear the music on the stereo no probs...just don't try to have a conversation in the back with everything open!

Parts for the mechanical 993 roof is what I was referring to Amanda.

The roof mechanism is extremely complicated and is driven by a couple of motors via some special cables.

Seals are the easy bit. If you strip a drive gear, damage a cable or cams that lay in the roof rails you have a huge cost for parts, when available, and the labour involved can be substantial.

And, that's if you can find someone "truly" familiar with the intricacies of a 993 Targa roof!

Remenber that this mechanism not only retracted the glass but also operated a blind. Absolute genius design!!!

FYI I have attached an interesting link. Once you read this you will think twice about a 993 Targa.

I know I did, and I like to think I'm more than a little mechanically minded.

http://www.pcarworks...eration_Outline

Ahhh ok. I like the 964 and SC Targas. So I was selfishly thinking of what I like when I made the post above. I also watched a video of the 996 Targa roof opening and closing the other day... VERY cool. But I can see long term, they could be trouble.

There's a SC Targa for sale at Nick Theodossi, its burgundy and they want $39k for it. I see a glimpse of it every day as I go to work :D

Yeah people seem to think they're not the iconic Porsche thing, but I personally wouldn't have even bought a Porsche if Targas weren't available - not that I don't like coupes, it's just that Targas are what 'grabbed' me. I should consider myself blessed that they're more readily available & affordable.

I had the top off and windows down at night on the freeway the other day when I took my car for its first registered spin, cold night and no real dramas, me and my mate were speaking to each other without any effort etc (the vent in the dash that I haven't found out how to close was louder than the wind noise from the open Targa top). Just awesome

I agree, I think they are awfully cool :) What model do you have Hezath? Is the top very heavy for a chick to lift in and out? I do weights :P lol

EDIT - don't worry found what you have '75 SC. Geez P plates.. the bogans are gonna love you :) and congrats too, that is a lovely buy you have there.

Here's the NL one mentioned above - http://vehicles.nicktheodossi.com.au/view.php/porsche/1980_Porsche_911_SC_Burgundy_5_Speed_Manual_Targa/5728542/

here, waste a couple of hours on this

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/170660-ultimate-targa-thread.html

And this one has all most convinced me to consider a TARGA as my next P-Car

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/543863-ruby-finally-done-2.html

cheers

John

I really love the one piece all glass wrap around rear screen. Really progressive design for it's time. Love that about yours Hezath. I reckon they look the business lowered a little to fill wheel arch gaps with the top off and windows down. Love that stance!

Yeah, absolutely gotta have it nice and low. I also think it looks a lot nicer (if the top is on) when the targa bar is black, not the stainless finish. Stainless looks great with the top off though

Is the top very heavy for a chick to lift in and out?

EDIT - don't worry found what you have '75 SC

My car is actually an 'S', it's too early for an SC but it has SC guards, motor, doors? etc fitted.

Is the top heavy? Nah. It has some alluminium panels across the top under the trip, and an alluminium frame - the rest is just trim. I don't find it a challenge to remove on my own but I'm pretty physically able, it's definitely easier with two people because you don't need to reach across but the weight isn't a problem. The only risk would be if the wind came up badly and you didn't expect it.

Archived