New 718 to have GT3 Motor

k0nz

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also agree with Jim. 

I call BS!

The HP jump alone is a red flag to me, from 370HP to 425hP? When has even the top dog of N.A. GT3 gotten such an increase in one generation?

6.1->6.2 + 20HP 

6.2 -> 7.1 +35HP 

7.1->7.2 +20HP

7.2->991.1 +40HP 

991.1->991.2 +25HP

= Never! 

Wishful thinking... my money is on a Turbo mill too, those pipes are telling! 

I honestly think all they will do is turn the wick up on the current flat 4 turbo power plant ,,,I just don,t see them putting a 500bhp 4 liter GT3 power plant in the 718 ..........And to have a 50 hp gain from the previous GT4 ......No way 718 is a entry level model ,,it is not going to be sold for GT3 money and there is no way they would offer a car for less money with the same performance or better ..........

1 hour ago, Raven said:

I honestly think all they will do is turn the wick up on the current flat 4 turbo power plant ,,,I just don,t see them putting a 500bhp 4 liter GT3 power plant in the 718 ..........And to have a 50 hp gain from the previous GT4 ......No way 718 is a entry level model ,,it is not going to be sold for GT3 money and there is no way they would offer a car for less money with the same performance or better ..........

I think you're on the money @Raven-, tweaked flat 4 turbo is my guess and seems to be the broad speculation on the internet - I have been asking Porsche for four months now and it started with "no Spyder" to become "Spyder will ship but we have no details"

@TrevMcRev and I have been drooling over pics of the new spyder....i love the styling

I would be happy enough if it shipped with a tweaked 991.2S motor - would be one hell of a car and would prompt me to stump up a deposit

PCM confirmed today that no new GT4 has been confirmed from Porsche, just internet rumour.  If one does come, they guess late 18/early 19 and mid $200s.  

A flatulent 4 won't cut the mustard as a GT car.  That would destroy the GT brand.  If that's what they do (surely they won't) then 981 GT4 will be given instant hero status.

Ozvine I honestly hope they do to it would be an epic car with out doubt and a fitting replacement to the previous 981 GT4 ....It is just a case of waiting and seeing what they come up with and who knows it could just happen ........

Porsche has done some major back flips in the past couple of years eg manual transmission in the GT3 ,they told us it was gone for good and didn,t suit the track focused GT3 yet here we are today with a manual available again and from what I see on other forums out selling the PDK  ....

The very limited 911R that set record mark up prices and supposedly was the last of its kind being the last true raw light weight hard core driver focused NA 911 is now available in almost identical spec in the 2018 GT3 touring .....?

The new 911 T a stripped down driver focused 911 just like the very limited R ..........Ok it dose not come with the same NA engine like the R and the costly CF panels but from a driving stand point it certainly must offer a very similar driving experience and more than likely some what the same for the average punter at a  more affordable and realistic price ...

I remember clearly 12 months ago so many of us saying why the hell is Porsche not offering a base 911 spec like the R ..........? yet here we are again with that car now available ..

My Porsche conspiracy theory is that there is a group of lab coat wearing Porsche employee hiding out in the Stuttgart marketing department  who ,s job it is to create all of this uncertainty ,,speculation and hype on the major forums about the next must have Porsche car ...........and their strategy is clearly working as demand is greater than the supply of cars .............Those Cleaver Germans ..........:Chuckle2:

Yep leak a few photos and a few maybe comments and boom, the Internet lights up.  No need for product planners, just drip fed an idea out and if it goes viral, build the car and sell them all.

They would not be stupid enough to put a 4cyl Turbo in a GT car. Given the turbo 6 takes up to much space then the only option is the NA4.0 detuned. I reckon 320 to 330 Kw as it has to beat the GTS with its low down torque and do it by some margin. Money/positioning is no object as they can charge what they like for a mid engine NA 6 with around 330kw or more and race pedigree. Porsche has a history of doing mid engine cars that sit above the 911 so I doubt they are that precious about it. 

I am confidant they will do a cayman GT4 with the 4L and PDK. I have had money down on one for nearly 3years. 

^^ interested to see PDK over manual is your preference.

I thought Porsche would only take deposits once a car/model was confirmed?  But you're saying they took a deposit from you 3 years ago on the prospect that a 4L PDK Cayman one day might exist?  Wow.  Rumours are great for cashflow!

Maybe I'll put a deposit down on a 2020 914-8 reincarnation with 4.2L flat 8. ?  It's a bit like gambling but if you lose they refund your deposit (but not the interest they earn on it?) 

1 hour ago, DJM said:

^^ interested to see PDK over manual is your preference.

I thought Porsche would only take deposits once a car/model was confirmed?  But you're saying they took a deposit from you 3 years ago on the prospect that a 4L PDK Cayman one day might exist?  Wow.  Rumours are great for cashflow!

Maybe I'll put a deposit down on a 2020 914-8 reincarnation with 4.2L flat 8. ?  It's a bit like gambling but if you lose they refund your deposit (but not the interest they earn on it?) 

Maybe he meant an expression of interest with a small refundable deposit of $2500.

This is what PCM does with car speculations but no confirmation of that particular model.

2 hours ago, JimTT said:

Maybe he meant an expression of interest with a small refundable deposit of $2500.

This is what PCM does with car speculations but no confirmation of that particular model.

They have changed the way they take deposits. When I did it it was a deposit but now it is a smaller $2K5 expression of interest. They said the change was due to legal issues. 

As far as PDK if you want slow get a toyota 86 with is flat 4 and manual. Unlike some I don't feel the urge to cock my left leg up and down while pretending I am good at changing gears as the data shows humans are rubbish gear changers. When I want to pick my gear I use the steering wheel paddles and not a 1920s mechanical leaver.  But thats just me as I like both hands on the wheel and being able to brake to the max. But then some might get a rush by knowing that at any time they could pick the wrong gear and destroy the engine. ?. 

5 hours ago, Redracn said:

When I want to pick my gear I use the steering wheel paddles and not a 1920s mechanical leaver.  But thats just me as I like both hands on the wheel and being able to brake to the max. But then some might get a rush by knowing that at any time they could pick the wrong gear and destroy the engine. ?. 

Do you leaf through those "pensioner aids" catalogues these days? :lol:
Me , I like to row the boat & swim against the tide.

4 hours ago, tazzieman said:

Do you leaf through those "pensioner aids" catalogues these days? :lol:
Me , I like to row the boat & swim against the tide.

Not a chance. Nowhere near old enougth to even consider any old fella aids. Probably why I think a manual H pattern to be from the dark ages. Primitive tech suited to those with sloping foreheads. When it comes to against the tide my jet ski does wonders and you do not have to change gears as it is not even an option manual or auto.

Boy it is fun stiring up those that need to be involved in changing gears  from the glorious days after the introduction of synchromesh as I don't see anybody wanting to go back further to when it took a real man to change gears.

Now who is going to admit they would be stuffed without synchromesh? ?

On 24 November 2017 at 9:17 AM, Redracn said:

They have changed the way they take deposits. When I did it it was a deposit but now it is a smaller $2K5 expression of interest. They said the change was due to legal issues. 

As far as PDK if you want slow get a toyota 86 with is flat 4 and manual. Unlike some I don't feel the urge to cock my left leg up and down while pretending I am good at changing gears as the data shows humans are rubbish gear changers. When I want to pick my gear I use the steering wheel paddles and not a 1920s mechanical leaver.  But thats just me as I like both hands on the wheel and being able to brake to the max. But then some might get a rush by knowing that at any time they could pick the wrong gear and destroy the engine. ?. 

Controversial! I own a GT4 manual and recently drove a 991 GT3 PDK.  As impressive as it was, I'll take the manual thanks.  Sure the PDK might be a few tenths faster in a drag race or around a track but......who cares, I enjoy driving.  On the road the GT3 is a bit too PlayStation for me. The fact the 991.2 GT3 is available in PDK and manual suggest we're both right ?

15 minutes ago, DJM said:

Controversial! I own a GT4 manual and recently drove a 991 GT3 PDK.  As impressive as it was, I'll take the manual thanks.  Sure the PDK might be a few tenths faster in a drag race or around a track but......who cares, I enjoy driving.  On the road the GT3 is a bit too PlayStation for me. The fact the 991.2 GT3 is available in PDK and manual suggest we're both right ?

Yep each to his own. I like the sound of the lighting fast change something that will never be matched by any manual. From my track experience each shift is worth a car length so say in a tarmac rally that is 4.5km for every 1000 shifts so guess that is why nobody in the last 30 years that has the option races a manual. ?

On 11/24/2017 at 7:53 PM, Redracn said:

Not a chance. Nowhere near old enougth to even consider any old fella aids. Probably why I think a manual H pattern to be from the dark ages. Primitive tech suited to those with sloping foreheads. When it comes to against the tide my jet ski does wonders and you do not have to change gears as it is not even an option manual or auto.

Boy it is fun stiring up those that need to be involved in changing gears  from the glorious days after the introduction of synchromesh as I don't see anybody wanting to go back further to when it took a real man to change gears.

Now who is going to admit they would be stuffed without synchromesh? ?

You'd have to be chomping to get fully autonomous, as that'll be the fastest way 'round, no doubt!   Just drop the windows and listen to the perfection.

39 minutes ago, KGB said:

You'd have to be chomping to get fully autonomous, as that'll be the fastest way 'round, no doubt!   Just drop the windows and listen to the perfection.

Autonomous is just a pipe dream and I won’t be trusting my life to one.

Archived