New 718 to have GT3 Motor

k0nz

If the 2.5 4cyl was tuned to the same specific power as the GT2RS it would make 339KW and this is at the very top end for production engines and on a single turbo may have a lot more throttle lag and higher rpm before the turbo gets going. On the other hand the 4L NA 6 is doing it easy at 339KW with instant throttle response. 

Which would make the better GT car engine? No brainer the 4L 6cylinder and thats even before the sound is considered. 

I guess we will find out in the near future if Porsche will be selling a GT sports car or a fridge. ?

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

According to GT-Porsche magazine;

"Andreas Preuninger has confirmed that both will be powered not by forced induced four-cylinder engines as previous 718s have been, but by the naturally aspirated six-cylinder units just like their "GT" and "Spyder" forebears." (GT4 and Spyder)

They go on to say "A four-litre engine. potentially the unit found in the 911 GT3 (albeit detuned), is expected to appear."

Andreas is the man who should know and if he has said it.....

I previously wondered if the GT3 having the 4.0 made room (marketing wise) for the 3.8 to go into the GT4 & Spyder... But, with emissions changes etc (see the M3 stoping production soon until the new model as an example), it might only be the 4.0 that useable, so could be the case.

That mule from the video definitely has a 4 cylinder in it. The 4L doesn't sound like that. It certainly doesn't fart or pop at slow speeds in first gear either.

I'm not saying that the production car won't have it, but that one certainly doesn't.

A GT4RS with the 4L in it has my attention though - I hope that is true!

34 minutes ago, Peter 996 said:

A very good friend of mine whom is a current GT3 RS owner has told me that he has heard that there will be a GT4 RS and has his name down on one :blink:

He is going to be waiting a very "VERY" long time. ??

1 hour ago, ANF said:

According to GT-Porsche magazine;

"Andreas Preuninger has confirmed that both will be powered not by forced induced four-cylinder engines as previous 718s have been, but by the naturally aspirated six-cylinder units just like their "GT" and "Spyder" forebears." (GT4 and Spyder)

They go on to say "A four-litre engine. potentially the unit found in the 911 GT3 (albeit detuned), is expected to appear."

Andreas is the man who should know and if he has said it.....

This guy has said many things in the past that haven't come to fruition  for whatever reason, so I wouldn't be taking anything he says as gospel. I dont know what its going to have in it but its certainly been an entertaining few months reading all this speculation.... B)

20 minutes ago, Chris-p said:

This guy has said many things in the past that haven't come to fruition  for whatever reason, so I wouldn't be taking anything he says as gospel. I dont know what its going to have in it but its certainly been an entertaining few months reading all this speculation.... B)

He often says what they hope to achieve, but then regulations or bean counters get in the way.

Its important to note that he’s a marketing mouthpiece too and its his job to sell. Regardless of how he actually feels its his job to ensure that the people who buy these cars keep buying them. Grain of salt is required when he gives ‘inside knowledge’ for that reason.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/21/2018 at 9:33 AM, Chris-p said:

Yeah I now realize that the situation is they are stuck on which way to go - which is why it's taken longer than expected to announce a new one.

There is NO doubt they have mules for both the 4cyl and 4.0L. And there is also a GT4RS test mule out there too with no guarantee anything will ever happen with it.

The issue is economics over more than just the GT4 / Spyder is the way I see it. The 718 has been disappointment so far. Sales are well down on the 981 and everyone knows it's due to the lack of love in the motor.

So now with the GT4 / Spyder they have to make the choice between saying  "yep the 6cyl is better hence why it's in the GT4" - and sell as many GT4's as they want but consequently probably hurt their future 718 sales even further.

Or else try and bump sales of the base 718's by building a "hero" T4 version, at the no doubt expense overall in sales on said GT4 as there are some (like me) who won't upgrade if the new car is a 4cyl no matter what numbers it produces.But I do think a hero version of a T4 Cayman GT4 would improve the overall popularity of the 718 range.

The other main factor is the racing version of their GT4 car. That said there is nothing to say the next GT4 spec race car has to be based on the Cayman. The original ones were 997 GT3's afterall. But most of them worldwide are going turbo (M4, 570S, AMG, KTM etc. It's really just the R8 of the new cars that is still NA). So in the end I still don't think they know the answer. But I think it's not JUST about the car in isolation as a stand alone road car - but it's a decision that needs to be based upon the good of the whole Cayman range + the racing side of things as well. If they were just worried about how many new GT4 road cars they could sell it would be a no brainer.

This is where the possible GT4-RS comes in I guess. It could be we end up with both a T4 and a 4.0L hero car in the range. But again - I really don't think they've made up their minds yet.

If they do a GT4 RS with the 4L i'm going to be broke.

The 718 has been a flop cause it sounds sh*t - lets just own it. Emissions regulations or no, sports cars are bought on emotion - no soul, no sale. Its not a family car where you can get away with it.

Volkswagen is going to need to give more emissions latitude to Porsche and take some off itself if they want to sell high margin sports cars in the future.

8 hours ago, Snowman said:

So now with the GT4 / Spyder they have to make the choice between saying  "yep the 6cyl is better hence why it's in the GT4" - and sell as many GT4's as they want but consequently probably hurt their future 718 sales even further.

Or else try and bump sales of the base 718's by building a "hero" T4 version, at the no doubt expense overall in sales on said GT4 as there are some (like me) who won't upgrade if the new car is a 4cyl no matter what numbers it produces.But I do think a hero version of a T4 Cayman GT4 would improve the overall popularity of the 718 range.

That sounds very logical.  Forget sales volume of GT4 itself (they'll be limited and so will be a sellout no matter what), focus on building a hero model that can pull through sales on the whole 718 range.  Six cylinder would be an admission that the 4 doesn't cut it.  

In breaking news, 918 GT4 values just jumped 25%????

I asked North American dealer today - they think its a bit of a crisis for Porsche, the 718; not moving even in Nth America, he took me out to the back lot, they have probably 80 or so 718 cars sitting waiting.....unlike Australia they order a lot of cars and people buy them off the lot

They dont have accurate intel on the GT4/Spyder - but the belief is Porsche has a significant number of 4.0l motors available and that might be the path forward. Thoughts are that all of the GT cars will carry the naturally aspirated 4.0l incl. the GT4 but the Spyder may wind up being a pimped out 4cyl

Dealers are putting a lot of pressure on Porsche about the next Boxster platform

1 hour ago, Ozvino said:

I asked North American dealer today - they think its a bit of a crisis for Porsche, the 718; not moving even in Nth America, he took me out to the back lot, they have probably 80 or so 718 cars sitting waiting.....unlike Australia they order a lot of cars and people buy them off the lot

They dont have accurate intel on the GT4/Spyder - but the belief is Porsche has a significant number of 4.0l motors available and that might be the path forward. Thoughts are that all of the GT cars will carry the naturally aspirated 4.0l incl. the GT4 but the Spyder may wind up being a pimped out 4cyl

Dealers are putting a lot of pressure on Porsche about the next Boxster platform

Then how the F are they going to sell the mainstream EV onto the Porsche enthusiast!

Me thinks Porsche is heading down the wrong path with all this smaller turbo stuff and EV range.....

10 hours ago, Ozvino said:

Fingers crossed. If they can shoehorn the 4L into the GT4 they'll have a winner.

• 2 weeks later...

Does sound like flat 6 and PDK.  But then it lacks the high rev wail of a GT3/4.  I don't suppose it's a tuned turbo 4 with exhaust trickery to make it sound better?

and if it is a 6, the debate now will be that's just for the Clubsport race car but not the road car?

https://youtu.be/npZbMmSaMEM

Archived