New 718 to have GT3 Motor

k0nz

I agree it does sound like a flat 6 ...............and the talk on rennlist is that it is the Clubsport race car as this is allowed the flat six power plant under the rules ..........I don,t think any one really knows to be honest ...:unsure:

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, DJM said:

Does sound like flat 6 and PDK.  But then it lacks the high rev wail of a GT3/4.  I don't suppose it's a tuned turbo 4 with exhaust trickery to make it sound better?

and if it is a 6, the debate now will be that's just for the Clubsport race car but not the road car?

https://youtu.be/npZbMmSaMEM

That’s a 6.

Has a touch of Cup Car exhaust note.  Agree, wasn’t reviving its head off.

I’m ghuessing 3.0 turbo 6.

• 2 weeks later...

I was at PCM this afternoon.  Sales guy mentioned that one of the dealer principals was recently in Europe and was driven around in the GT4 prototype.  He confirmed it is definitely a 6, would not confirm if it’s the GT3 engine as all the press seems to be pointing to and said he was scared by how fast it was.  Will be interesting to see local numbers and pricing.  And what that does to 981 prices.

out of interest he seemed a bit frustrated - no Macan or 911 stock available, Panamera over priced and 718s not selling with buyers preferring 981.  Hard to operate a car dealership with nothing much to offer.

It will be really interesting if they persist with the 4 cyl in the Boxster and Cayman.  There are just too many stories about the 718 not selling.  I saw a Panamera Estate at PCB last week.  It was at least 6 meters long.  It looked huge.  

8 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

It will be really interesting if they persist with the 4 cyl in the Boxster and Cayman.  There are just too many stories about the 718 not selling.  I saw a Panamera Estate at PCB last week.  It was at least 6 meters long.  It looked huge.  

Can I sell you some real estate! 5049 (mm) B)

I'd like one!

12 minutes ago, ANF said:

Can I sell you some real estate! 5049 (mm) B)

I'd like one!

Yes I should have looked it up before posting but from a visual perspective, it's stance and the extended roofline it looked huge.  My wife says that lots of things are smaller than how I describe them. :Chuckle2:

Yeah so the inside word from Weissach's is this.

New motor to be an evolution of the original 981 GT4 3.8L motor - 420HP (up from 385HP) and same rpm as current (7,800rpm). Not confirmed if it is going to be 4.0L or not. So it will be bespoke to the GT4 / Spyder in the current line-up. NOT the motor from the GT3. And still only available with the same 6MT. 

Basically it will be more of a 981.2 evolution over the whole car, rather than a complete 718 revolution.

There is a GT4RS mule with a 500HP 9,000rpm GT3 4.0L in it - but it has not yet been green lit for production. If it does eventually go ahead it will be GT3 $$$.

Per my earlier post, the Porsche guys I spoke to in the US seemed pretty convinced that it would be a 4.0l block given that Porsche has a significant number of them in storage and available

As long as its not a 4 cyl Turbo who cares I guess.....

Yeah but if it is as per the spec I have heard (basically a 981.2 evolution) - I can't see many of us current GT4 owners looking to upgrade. There just isn't enough extra about it to warrant (especially given the current car is so good).

So it will be interesting to see how it sells. A lot of US / Europe people didn't get an original allocation - but here in Oz pretty much anyone who wanted one got one in the end.

If it has a 9,000rpm 4.0L in it then it would be a different story.

3 minutes ago, Snowman said:

Yeah but if it is as per the spec I have heard (basically a 981.2 evolution) - I can't see many of us current GT4 owners looking to upgrade. There just isn't enough extra about it to warrant (especially given the current car is so good).

So it will be interesting to see how it sells. A lot of US / Europe people didn't get an original allocation - but here in Oz pretty much anyone who wanted one got one in the end.

I am with you @Snowman. Have no interest in changing mine based on what appears to be coming. That RL thread is the most entertaining forum thread I have ever read. :Laughter:

Haha! Yep. But it's good to have someone with genuine inside knowledge speaking up - even if he does have to speak in riddles.

But as I also said over there - in the end they will do what they did with the new GT3RS - bolt on a set of these new uber tyres and go to the Ring and SMASH the old lap time and all of the general media will lap it up.

^ I have my money down on a 4.0 PDK. A 3.8 MT is not going to sell well as there is simply not enough between it and the last one of which there are plenty of low km examples available. If 3.8 is true then Porsche have made a rare stuff up. 

11 minutes ago, Ozvino said:

like the 4cyl 718 or turbo charged 991.2 Carrera's......

Oz, don’t knock it until you’ve thrashed it. 991.2 doesn’t have the noise of the 991.1 (oh how i miss the noise) but the driving experience is everything porsche promised,   improved, faster, handles better & always aiming to improve. P.S. I do mis miss my 996 & 991.1 the most.

1 minute ago, GC9911 said:

Oz, don’t knock it until you’ve thrashed it. 991.2 doesn’t have the noise of the 991.1 (oh how i miss the noise) but the driving experience is everything porsche promised,   improved, faster, handles better & always aiming to improve. P.S. I do mis miss my 996 & 991.1 the most.

Very true - as you know, I loved the power of the 3.0l Turbo, it was all about the noise....

26 minutes ago, Ozvino said:

like the 4cyl 718 or turbo charged 991.2 Carrera's......

Yep with the 718 maybe stuff ups are no longer that rare. But it is not all Porsches fault as they have no option but to do the best they can with the stupid emission laws and other EU crap. 

The old 3.8 stretched to 4.0 has been the talk for a while. I didn't believe it because of the turbo mules running around. Still time to change it but anyone expecting a GT4 with a GT3 motor for $200k is going to be waiting a long time. 

10 hours ago, sleazius said:

The old 3.8 stretched to 4.0 has been the talk for a while. I didn't believe it because of the turbo mules running around. Still time to change it but anyone expecting a GT4 with a GT3 motor for $200k is going to be waiting a long time. 

Im pretty sure anyone in the market for a GT4 would pay extra for the GT3 4.0 engine. 

A GT car with a non motorsport based engine? What are they thinking. 

Then again it could be the 991.1 GT3 3.8 engine with a lower RPM limit so its valvetrain will survive. After all they had to keep it in production to replace all the stuffed ones and cover the 10year engine warranty they had to offer to stop the 991.1 GT3 being classed as junk. Also being dry sump it can handle R tyres something the integrated (not so dry ) sump of the road engine is marginal at. 

On 5/18/2018 at 10:26 AM, Snowman said:

New motor to be an evolution of the original 981 GT4 3.8L motor - 420HP (up from 385HP) and same rpm as current (7,800rpm). Not confirmed if it is going to be 4.0L or not. So it will be bespoke to the GT4 / Spyder in the current line-up. NOT the motor from the GT3. And still only available with the same 6MT. 

Basically it will be more of a 981.2 evolution over the whole car, rather than a complete 718 revolution.

On 5/18/2018 at 10:36 AM, Snowman said:

Have to agree with you andrew from what I have read and seen posted on RL.

On 5/18/2018 at 10:38 AM, Chris-p said:

I am with you @Snowman. Have no interest in changing mine based on what appears to be coming. That RL thread is the most entertaining forum thread I have ever read. :Laughter:

Totally with you on this Chris and yes its quite funny to read RL members views and comments.

Archived