I started using this to clean chain Grease from motorbike wheels a looooooooooong time ago, and have found it works very well on tar as well, much better than any of the car specific wheel cleaners that I have tried, and has the added bonus of leaving your wheels with a wax coating

35 minutes ago, StevepGT3 said:

I started using this to clean chain Grease from motorbike wheels a looooooooooong time ago, and have found it works very well on tar as well, much better than any of the car specific wheel cleaners that I have tried, and has the added bonus of leaving your wheels with a wax coating

Steve...have you used it on painted wheels?   I need to use something better than soap but I'm a bit scared to try anything that might cause a problem to the paint...

15 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

Thanks for the tip, will try this.   Here is one I discovered one day when detailing my daughters car.  On old clouded headlights I use brasso.  It cleans them up like new and wham the light looks new again

I had a very clouded headlight on the CX7 and used a turtle wax product on it and it was ok but not as good as I hoped and I think it was about $50.00

I had tried cutting compound, with no success.   Brasso sounds good, but did you put any coating over it once you used the brasso?

18 minutes ago, Niko said:

Steve...have you used it on painted wheels?   I need to use something better than soap but I'm a bit scared to try anything that might cause a problem to the paint...

I had a very clouded headlight on the CX7 and used a turtle wax product on it and it was ok but not as good as I hoped and I think it was about $50.00

I had tried cutting compound, with no success.   Brasso sounds good, but did you put any coating over it once you used the brasso?

The wheels are painted, by the same folk that painted yours, I also use it on my bikes tanks, wheels etc

12 minutes ago, StevepGT3 said:

this bike  is from 1989 and has only ever been cleaned with mr sheen 

Just went out and did one of the front wheels.  

They had a few little tar thingies on them and after the last wash noticed the grey was not coming up as good as when they were first painted.

Gets a NIKO "elitist" tick of approval from me, easy to use.  

Leave it on the tar spots for a couple of minutes then micro fibre it and the rest of the wheel.

Certainly doesn't effect the painted surface in any adverse way.

Crap day here in Melb so will do the other three wheels after lunch.

It looks to be safe enough....

This info has been taken from http://www.wired.co.uk/article/whats-inside-mr-sheen 

Ingredients

C10-12 alkane/cycloalkane and paraffin (AKA kerosene)

are mixed hydrocarbons that remove greasy marks and polish residues.

Propellant gases

Butane, propane and isobutane propel the Mr Sheen from its container. 

Dimethicone

This is a colourless oil which leaves behind a water-repelling silicone layer on the surface that has been polished. It is also used in cosmetics to make skin feel smooth.

Sorbitan oleate

An emulsifier, this acts to ensure all the ingredients form a homogenous mixture. It also acts as a mild surfectant in its own right and is added to moisturisers.

Hexyl cinnamal

A widely used camomile fragrance.

Butylphenyl methylpropional

This adds a floral-bouquet smell and can be found in perfumes.

Benzyl salicylate

A fixative, it is there to help the fragrance molecules to blend in with the other ingredients. Of itself, it has almost no odour.

Microcrystalline wax

This consists of tiny hydrocarbon crystals which have 35 or more carbon atoms in their molecular structure. It creates a shiny surface.

Sodium benzoate

This powerful germicide (AKA E211) is particularly effective under acid conditions.

32 minutes ago, Niko said:

Just went out and did one of the front wheels.  

They had a few little tar thingies on them and after the last wash noticed the grey was not coming up as good as when they were first painted.

Gets a NIKO "elitist" tick of approval from me, easy to use.  

Leave it on the tar spots for a couple of minutes then micro fibre it and the rest of the wheel.

Certainly doesn't effect the painted surface in any adverse way.

Crap day here in Melb so will do the other three wheels after lunch.

Oh ye of little faith 

14 minutes ago, LeeM said:

Can't go past ol Mr Sheen ??

I think it’s only us bike guys that know about it

35 minutes ago, Niko said:

Seems that most of our weather comes from S.A.though..:P

You lot deserve it. Bloody Mexicans ?

51 minutes ago, StevepGT3 said:

I think it’s only us bike guys that know about it

I used to use WD40 or CRC to clean my race bikes and Karts. Bodywork and all ?Mr Sheen for the roadies

47 minutes ago, LeeM said:

You lot deserve it. Bloody Mexicans ?

I used to use WD40 or CRC to clean my race bikes and Karts. Bodywork and all ?Mr Sheen for the roadies

Yea lack of time turns you into a heathen, then after a while you notice that your paintwork is still pristine. 

1 hour ago, jakroo said:

I've used it for years to lubricate my rock climbing cams... Doesn't attract dirt and leaves my climbing gear with a nice lemon scent.

Will give it a try on my rims. Thanks for the tip StevepGT3!

26 minutes ago, Dalai said:

Will give it a try on my rims. Thanks for the tip StevepGT3!

Just don't do what my pit crew did before a Superbike race. Spray the whole rim AND discs instead of spraying it onto a rag! That wasn't much fun on the outlap ?

4 hours ago, Niko said:

Niko I used it on a Mazda 2 with good results and then just some polish on top after.  I do it about every 6 months and as good as new

3 hours ago, jakroo said:

This info has been taken from http://www.wired.co.uk/article/whats-inside-mr-sheen 

Ingredients

C10-12 alkane/cycloalkane and paraffin (AKA kerosene)

are mixed hydrocarbons that remove greasy marks and polish residues.

So you're putting kero on your car.

Works great at killing grease... and clear coat. Would be the same as using an acid cleaner on your wheels.
Watch what you're doing with it and measure the results. Maybe the amount used is low enough to not have any adverse effects, but I'd be making sure you don't have any residue.

2 hours ago, LeeM said:

Meanwhile WD40 will make your paint softer over time due to the aliphatic hydrocarbons, which is a similar effect to IPA on paint. WD40 & Mr Sheen are fine to use on plastics and vinyl as they're a lot harder wearing.

At the end of the day, both of these are like using truck wash on your car. Great for getting rid of dirt/waxes/sealants on your paint.

PS. truck wash is probably cheaper by volume compared to WD40 and Mr Sheen.

30 minutes ago, Mike737 said:

So you're putting kero on your car.

Works great at killing grease... and clear coat. Would be the same as using an acid cleaner on your wheels.
Watch what you're doing with it and measure the results. Maybe the amount used is low enough to not have any adverse effects, but I'd be making sure you don't have any residue.

Meanwhile WD40 will make your paint softer over time due to the aliphatic hydrocarbons, which is a similar effect to IPA on paint. WD40 & Mr Sheen are fine to use on plastics and vinyl as they're a lot harder wearing.

At the end of the day, both of these are like using truck wash on your car. Great for getting rid of dirt/waxes/sealants on your paint.

PS. truck wash is probably cheaper by volume compared to WD40 and Mr Sheen.

Jeez Mike, you are as sucked in as women with wrinkle cream.

Like Steve been using Mr Sheen (pot pourri being my personal fav) on my bikes for over 25 years and never had any issues, in fact the number of times I have used the tradional suds and water wash (on them) in that time would be in the very low 10’s (yes I’m not counting the dirt bikes here!)

My oldest bike is 18 and it still looks (and smells) great ?

Archived