Looking for a 996.1 GT3 or 997.1 Turbo

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum. I'm looking for 996 Mk1 GT3, preferably clubsport but that's not essential. Obviously Km's as low as I can get. I'm looking for something that I can enjoy occasionally on weekends  - I don't want to put too many km's on it as I'd like it to hold it's value or hopefully appreciate i.e. it's an investment car as much (or more) as it is something to have fun in.

Have had a bit of a look on Carsales but there doesn't seem to be anything outstanding on there at the moment. It was suggested to me that anything decent is likely to either never get there, or go very quickly so I thought I'd throw a message out here on the off chance that someone is aware of one out in the market.

I'd also consider a 997 Mk1 turbo - but would prefer the GT3. 

Look forward to hearing any bright ideas or interesting leads.

Cheers

Welcome to the forum. At the risk of being labelled a dick, I’ll go there anyway. Investments for me are bonds, shares, commercial/industrial real estate, art is for looking at. Porsches are for driving, as often as you can and as fast as you feel comfortable with or can get away with. You’re going to need to hang on to the car you are looking at quite a while as the Porsche bubble has backed off a bit IMHO. Good luck with the search.

Thanks GC. Yeah, I'm hearing the same thing from others (that I've missed the rush and things may be on the way down, not up). Totally agree with what you're saying.....I'm not looking to retire on the proceeds. Just want to have a bit of fun. If I'm lucky I might come out in front in a few years, if not I've had some fun along the way. 

Hello Jim,

Welcome to the forum! The 6 GT3 and 7 turbo are quite different cars, I'm interested in hearing your processes of arriving at those two models as opposed to a 996 turbo or 993? Only asking as I'll probably buy one of these as my next Porsche and would be interested in hearing your logic.   There is also good information in the 996 GT3 market thread on this forum which you'll probably enjoy if you haven't already.

Hi Bear,

So, at the risk of making a Dick of myself here is my thought process.....my preference is for the 996.1 GT3 because of the racing heritage/setup (which appeals to me), Metzger engine, low production numbers and fact that it is the first of the series (albeit a somewhat unpopular series). It’s also a lot of car for the money in my book as it seems to be unfashionable due to the headlights and blowback associated with the engine issued that the garden variety 996 had (this is my take on it anyway - I’m sure there are people here that know a lot more about it than me). 

Regarding the 997 mk1 turbo, this was recommended to me by someone who knows a lot more about Porsche’s than I do as a possible alternative if I couldn’t find a decent GT3 in my budget. I haven’t researched this car a great deal yet but from what I can tell, it’s a fantastic performance car, has some of the issues with the 996 addressed, and is still a lot of bang for your buck. Will it be as “collectable” as a GT3 in the longer term, I’ve got no idea at this stage .....but maybe there are punters out there that rate it as a better car?

happy to hear what you (and others) think.....I’m still learning.

jim

14 minutes ago, JimS said:

Hi Bear,

So, at the risk of making a Dick of myself here is my thought process.....my preference is for the 996.1 GT3 because of the racing heritage/setup (which appeals to me), Metzger engine, low production numbers and fact that it is the first of the series (albeit a somewhat unpopular series). It’s also a lot of car for the money in my book as it seems to be unfashionable due to the headlights and blowback associated with the engine issued that the garden variety 996 had (this is my take on it anyway - I’m sure there are people here that know a lot more about it than me). 

Regarding the 997 mk1 turbo, this was recommended to me by someone who knows a lot more about Porsche’s than I do as a possible alternative if I couldn’t find a decent GT3 in my budget. I haven’t researched this car a great deal yet but from what I can tell, it’s a fantastic performance car, has some of the issues with the 996 addressed, and is still a lot of bang for your buck. Will it be as “collectable” as a GT3 in the longer term, I’ve got no idea at this stage .....but maybe there are punters out there that rate it as a better car?

happy to hear what you (and others) think.....I’m still learning.

jim

I feel your thought process is reasonable, the mk1 996 GT3s have a unique place as the first of the GT3 models and should always be special. I've personally found that the headlights on the 996 are less of an issue for me as the car has aged, especially in the GT and turbo variants. 

I understand the series 2 7 turbos were more sporty (suspension area) than the series 1 so I suggest you drive both. I'm less knowledgeable about the 997 series so I won't demonstrate my ignorance more than that. Turbos also have the advantage of possible tuning if you are into that kind of thing, even though I understand the 6 series are more versatile due to the wider selection of aftermarket turbos.  7 GT3s are also not that far from 6 GT3s ... some would argue that the 7 911 is also special. That's the challenge with Porsche shopping "For only another $xxx I could get a this or a that ... but then for another $xyz I'd be able to get....." and on it goes until you realise you've run out of budget and you start again. 

How about the air cooled world, as far as 'investments' go, the air cooled cars are probably a relatively safe bet and can be a hoot to drive at more legal road speeds.

I certainly haven’t ruled out an air cooled car (far from it). My research has thus far been more targeted towards the 996 mk 1 GT3. Seems to be a LOT of variability in the air cooled prices, which I don’t fully understand yet. Clearly targas, imported cars and modified cars are less desirable and kms are relatively important, but beyond that I don’t really understand the market (or all of the models). As always, happy to learn from those that know more than me.....which is most people in this forum.

GT3 nice to look at and take for a thrash.. expensive to own and maintain ..but in balance , I think Im at 10k for my first 6,000kms   .. and it was and is being maintained as a mint car

Yes some of that money will hold me in a good place for the future kms next year.  My first Water cool car a mega standout of driving experience..you know your with the super model every time you squeeze and prod something, feels just right  and you will get tingles,  but remember it will probably only smile back at you for French champers not cheap fizzy stuff , good oil , good parts , good 98 , good tyres and in my case 3k work of brake pads for the Ceramic brake pads.

GT3 Probably the least depreciating , in terms of rarity and peoples ongoing desire factor...and I reckon the market has  softened 10-20% in the past 6-9 months 

The Gen 2 997 is a real bargain in my eyes right now but a Gen 1 still sublime

if you want a girl friendly version I suggest 997.  Raw Mechano comes in 996 form..

Die hard 996ers will still swear they are the best and most collectable but they aint been selling that much...well not through my eyes , they come they go but they dont change hands they get taken off market.

997 Turbo is great car but the boost probably can get boring and they are a little soft on the track , I have had one in the swiss alps and punished it all day.. I would have one just like a 996 turbo bang for buck , I reckon they gotta little to soften yet $ wise and then grab one would be my call.. remember good motor in both the 996 and 997 turbo relatively bulletproof.

Coming back to the GT3 if you can take on the yellow the 997. Gen 1 at 184k has been sitting on carsales I would kinda go 20k soft on the price two weeks before xmas and see if the carrot is taken

Eheh......thanks Symsy, a colourful and I’m sure, well informed post. I really appreciate the info. I’ll have a look at the “yellow peril” on car sales. Can’t say yellow is my colour, but you don’t look at the colour from the inside I spose and that’s where I intend being. 

10 hours ago, JimS said:

Eheh......thanks Symsy, a colourful and I’m sure, well informed post. I really appreciate the info. I’ll have a look at the “yellow peril” on car sales. Can’t say yellow is my colour, but you don’t look at the colour from the inside I spose and that’s where I intend being. 

Yellow was the 996.1 launch color ...

The great thing is that cars like the GT3 can be both a solid investment and a sensational drive and ownership experience.

I’ve been fortunate enough to experience most of the GT cars as well as some Turbo’s so my 2c worth based on your criteria of rarity and something that may reward you in the hip pocket in the future, go the 996.1 GT3 if you can find what you want.

If you can’t and go the Turbo, you’ll still feel great every time you jump in it.

Niether is anything less than a sensational ride.

Sledgehammer or scalpel is the question! 

I personally believe in the 6.1 GT3 as a good buy right now, it would be my pick for the $$$ if you want investment potential. 

Having said that, I agree with Greg (GC), these are for driving... I have done a good job devaluing mine, but smiled the whole time. 

16 hours ago, JimS said:

personally I love sports cars in yellow, especially Porsche Speed yellow - however be warned its a small club that likes that colour and its probably the hardest to shift, even as a GT car

13 minutes ago, Ozvino said:

personally I love sports cars in yellow, especially Porsche Speed yellow - however be warned its a small club that likes that colour and its probably the hardest to shift, even as a GT car

Oh man ....

Now where do I go? 

Was going to go with "I have a MK1 low k's  in yellow that I could be persuaded to part with at a premium given its a must have color".

But now .... :-))

1 minute ago, Skidmarks said:

Oh man ....

Now where do I go? 

Was going to go with "I have a MK1 low k's  in yellow that I could be persuaded to part with at a premium given its a must have color".

But now .... :-))

LOL .....and a 930 in Kodak yellow......

for me Speed yellow is the best GT colour, it was Robbie Raymer who talked me out of buying yellow cars with a lecture on astute Porsche buying - and I gave him no end of friendly grief after he took possession of the Kodak beauty :D

I miss Rob...

11 minutes ago, Ozvino said:

LOL .....and a 930 in Kodak yellow......

for me Speed yellow is the best GT colour, it was Robbie Raymer who talked me out of buying yellow cars with a lecture on astute Porsche buying - and I gave him no end of friendly grief after he took possession of the Kodak beauty :D

I miss Rob...

Ouch. Its Paint to Sample Kodak Yellow though.  Surely that's got to make a difference?  Probably not ...

And yes, he's sorely missed.  I can actually picture him leaning back in his chair with that wry smile and saying "don't be a dickhead" but as always using far more diplomatic language.

Jimmy, ignore the Wino's view on saleability.   I mean, really - I'm an astute buyer and bought two in that color!  Go me ...

I just looked on Carsales. 

All of the GT3's are white!

#RealGTdriverswearyellow

White Porsche is always a classic combo including gt3’s, exceptions... maybe if your stumping up for an RS or something from the 70’s in which case go large in the colour stakes 

At the risk of stating the obvious, I was really just taking the piss with the white hating. Don’t think there really is a bad colour for a GT3. As soon as I find the right car I’ll be in like Flyn, regardless of the colour. 

2 hours ago, Troubleshooter said:

Jimbo you are outta touch before you even got into touch, white gt3's are the new black, well they were a year or two back -- now?? And Kodak, what's Kodak, a product women use??:ph34r:

Kodak’s a product men drive ... ?

Archived