Matt finally buys a 911

Not surprised because he always appears to enjoy his 911 "One Takes"

WAS surprised at his plans to do a safari conversion based on the Keen cars:

However after thinking about it more it makes a change from the usual RSR replicas and having a 911 that must be driven at least occasionally on dirt does appeal.  Plus banishing driveway and paint chip anxieties in one fell swoop are the two cherries on top. 

Why would you  turn that into a safari off road 911 that car is in awesome condition for its age ,,,would take very little time and money to take that car to concourse condition and just drive and enjoy ...

makes no sense to me ,,like he said every thing worked perfectly in the cabin ,the body was flaw less ,,,only had some minor wear issues on the drivers seat and sill rubber ,,,,replace the shocks ,brake rotors and perhaps some bush,s and give the the suspension a look over ..........and then drive it for another 30 years :rolleyes: 

Don,t get me wrong i agree the safari looks like a blast to own and drive and I love the off road 911 concept ,,,,I just wouldn,t build one out of such a pristine example of a 3.2 Carrera  surely he could have found some thing a little rough around the edges but  A1  mechanical wise ,,no wonder the the Purists are giving him grief ...

Just now, Raven said:

Don,t get me wrong i agree the safari looks like a blast to own and drive and I love the off road 911 concept ,,,,I just wouldn,t build one out of such a pristine example of a 3.2 Carrera  surely he could have found some thing a little rough around the edges but  A1  mechanical wise ,,no wonder the the Purists are giving him grief ...

I definitely see where you are coming from, but he has mentioned that the car he has was sitting for months on Pelican, and it was cheap, but no one wanted it. He mentions that heaps of people are upset that he is not keeping it pristine and original, but no one else was willing to front up the cash. So I can see how he has justified it.

$1500 to ship + tax & duty. I’d thought of buying and leaving it with friends in Monterey so we could do a US trip or 2 to take in Rennsport or Luftgekult, then import it. I really like that Cassis Red....

2 hours ago, Mike-S said:

$1500 to ship + tax & duty. I’d thought of buying and leaving it with friends in Monterey so we could do a US trip or 2 to take in Rennsport or Luftgekult, then import it. I really like that Cassis Red....

really?

only $1500? how?

He does mention in the video that the mods are all reversible. Only a couple of holes drilled in the bonnet for the light pod, so I personally say go for it.

I believe he has now changed his mind on the colour and he is keeping it as it is. He is also keeping the whale tail. 

If that's what floats his boat, I see no problem with it. I'm sure some question Ryan (Obrut) rallyfying his car, but thats what he wanted to do which is cool. Not that I care, but I've had a few purists give me stick about backdating my Hong Kong car (mainly because I'm inexperienced and doing it myself), yet everything I'm doing is reversible, so it's no biggy

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 8:12 AM, OZ930 said:

Is it really any different to a long nose conversion, a Singer or an RWB ?

Yeah, I think so as the intent is to use it rather than just gloat over it. 

It's pretty hard to say I won't take it out in the rain when it is stone chipped and dirty to begin with. 

In my opinion, the economics of starting with rough cars simply doesnt stack up.  You end up spending much more than the difference in price, compared to getting something decent, just to right the wrongs.  Even more so if the car has an unusual colour or trim, or is a Targa or a cab.

I’ve seen quite a few historic race cars built from really nice drivers - much more straightforward builds, less time consuming, ultimately cheaper etc etc. 

Further, the majority of the changes made in converting to ‘street’ rallye spec are bolt on.  

Glad he is keeping the Cassis though - great period colour, and normally you get a non-black (burgundy or linen) interior to boot.

On 12/9/2017 at 11:15 AM, OBRUT said:

In my opinion, the economics of starting with rough cars simply doesnt stack up.  You end up spending much more than the difference in price, compared to getting something decent, just to right the wrongs.  Even more so if the car has an unusual colour or trim, or is a Targa or a cab.

I’ve seen quite a few historic race cars built from really nice drivers - much more straightforward builds, less time consuming, ultimately cheaper etc etc. 

Further, the majority of the changes made in converting to ‘street’ rallye spec are bolt on.  

Glad he is keeping the Cassis though - great period colour, and normally you get a non-black (burgundy or linen) interior to boot.

Came in to say the same thing. He justifies it pretty well, he says most of the changes are bolt on. 

Also I think this is an amazing way to enrage the community and get people watching his Youtoobs.

On 12/7/2017 at 7:05 PM, LeeM said:

I'm sure some question Ryan (Obrut) rallyfying his car, but thats what he wanted to do which is cool.

Obrut's car is a convertible... Open slather changes are okay as he isn't changing a Coupe. ;)

Archived