993 ownership - A different perspective

Grinner

I recently purchased my 993 Cabriolet and wanted to give my thoughts on ownership from a different perspective to most owners.

When I was a boy I had two pictures (not posters, dad wouldn't let me use blue tak...) on my wall, one was a Countach and the other a silver 930 Turbo. These cars were dreams that I only imagined in my head, never believing that I could have a car like this. As I grew up I always loved cars but am honest enough to admit I have limited mechanical knowledge. My first car was a 25 year old HK Premier that I loved but being young and stupid within 5 years I had ruined it. Since then like most I have got married, have a lovely daughter and a mortgage. Whilst I have had the odd old car a Porsche was never considered as it was way out of my league. That 930 on the wall was an almost forgotten dream....

This year I was lucky enough to come into a bit of money, and my wife encouraged me to get my dream car (with limits, of course). I never forgot when the 993 first came out, I was 17 and thought they were great. Again though, I never thought much more about them as I was about as much chance of owning one as flying to the moon. However now I started looking at them, and fell in love. I guess where I differ to most on the forum is that I am not a Porsche "purist". I will never track my car, and whilst I am a decent driver I am no Fangio. I just wanted the car for fun, and to live a once forgotten dream (I know, its not a 930!!).

So for me, it didn't have to be a coupe. It didn't have to be manual. I always wanted a convertible so a Cabriolet seemed ideal. I love midnight blue, so when I saw my now car for sale I knew it was the one I wanted. Getting the car delivered was almost like a dream. I seriously couldn't believe it was mine. I still often look in the garage in amazement. Driving it is heaven. I love taking my nine year old daughter for drives, and its a great way for the family to all enjoy getting out and doing things together on weekends.

In a nutshell, I feel I am the luckiest man alive!!

993.jpg

2 hours ago, Grinner said:

I recently purchased my 993 Cabriolet and wanted to give my thoughts on ownership from a different perspective to most owners.

When I was a boy I had two pictures (not posters, dad wouldn't let me use blue tak...) on my wall, one was a Countach and the other a silver 930 Turbo. These cars were dreams that I only imagined in my head, never believing that I could have a car like this. As I grew up I always loved cars but am honest enough to admit I have limited mechanical knowledge. My first car was a 25 year old HK Premier that I loved but being young and stupid within 5 years I had ruined it. Since then like most I have got married, have a lovely daughter and a mortgage. Whilst I have had the odd old car a Porsche was never considered as it was way out of my league. That 930 on the wall was an almost forgotten dream....

This year I was lucky enough to come into a bit of money, and my wife encouraged me to get my dream car (with limits, of course). I never forgot when the 993 first came out, I was 17 and thought they were great. Again though, I never thought much more about them as I was about as much chance of owning one as flying to the moon. However now I started looking at them, and fell in love. I guess where I differ to most on the forum is that I am not a Porsche "purist". I will never track my car, and whilst I am a decent driver I am no Fangio. I just wanted the car for fun, and to live a once forgotten dream (I know, its not a 930!!).

So for me, it didn't have to be a coupe. It didn't have to be manual. I always wanted a convertible so a Cabriolet seemed ideal. I love midnight blue, so when I saw my now car for sale I knew it was the one I wanted. Getting the car delivered was almost like a dream. I seriously couldn't believe it was mine. I still often look in the garage in amazement. Driving it is heaven. I love taking my nine year old daughter for drives, and its a great way for the family to all enjoy getting out and doing things together on weekends.

In a nutshell, I feel I am the luckiest man alive!!

Mate you have summed that up nicely....I think that applies to a lot of us on here.

Great story, and good on your missus letting you pursue your dream car.   (Well nearly your dream car)

Enjoy yourself and get into that once forgotten dream.....:CoolDance:

Oh..... now go and get a poster print made of your car,  get some bluetak, and stick the poster up in the bedroom.:cool07:

On 09/12/2017 at 6:14 AM, Skidmarks said:

I can confidently say that everyone on this forum has a variation of that story.

Now, once you get settled in you can start thinking about modifications ... ?

...aaaaand the next Porsche you'd like.......and the next one after that.....aaaaannnndd...........

993 .. the preferred Vice in my life... still addicted 21 years later :)  Congrats and enjoy

See ya at cars and coffee GC, Currumbin or Byron perhaps

If your in need of two front tyres there are two sitting in my garage and are freebies ...10% wear or less , well not free trade ya for a coffee .. Welcome to PFA

Archived