Towing with a Macan

Pork Chops

1 hour ago, GC9911 said:

I think you will regret not going with the air suspension, otherwise great choice, congratulations.

I'm having a phone hook up with a supporter of AS a little later on.  I'll make my final decision after that.  Anyone care to comment on adaptive cruise?  Funnily enough it's the same cost as the AS so it seems like a good candidate for a swap rather than adding more cost if I want it.  

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Pork Chops said:

I'm having a phone hook up with a supporter of AS a little later on.  I'll make my final decision after that.  Anyone care to comment on adaptive cruise?  Funnily enough it's the same cost as the AS so it seems like a good candidate for a swap rather than adding more cost if I want it.  

Yes, my wife has adaptive cruise on her 2016 MB, not sure if the Porsche version  is the same but it’s a right royal pain. You set the cruise & your on the freeway when you come up behind another car of course you slow down, by the time you notice the slowdown youve lost momentum & then have to sped up again to go around the car in front. My wife hates it so much she doesn’t use cruise anymore & I refuse to drive the POS. You cant turn the addaptive bit off & if you can I haven’t found it yet. 

17 minutes ago, GC9911 said:

Yes, my wife has adaptive cruise on her 2016 MB, not sure if the Porsche version  is the same but it’s a right royal pain. You set the cruise & your on the freeway when you come up behind another car of course you slow down, by the time you notice the slowdown youve lost momentum & then have to sped up again to go around the car in front. My wife hates it so much she doesn’t use cruise anymore & I refuse to drive the POS. You cant turn the addaptive bit off & if you can I haven’t found it yet. 

As Greg says. Only nasty words can desribe it. Makes overtaking a real pain. As well as the slow down and loss of momentum if you want to be a bit closer to the car in front to over take (country road driving) than the minimum distance the cruise is happy with and you need to backoff to wait for a gap it will apply the brakes to get is minimum distance back. And in the city the minimum distance is so long that everybody thinks you are inviting them to take the gap. Fortunately in every car I have had with it you can turn the adaptive bit off. 

Only positive is for the sheepal that just want to follow the car in front at a more than safe distance.i

16 minutes ago, Redracn said:

As Greg says. Only nasty words can desribe it. Makes overtaking a real pain. As well as the slow down and loss of momentum if you want to be a bit closer to the car in front to over take (country road driving) than the minimum distance the cruise is happy with and you need to backoff to wait for a gap it will apply the brakes to get is minimum distance back. And in the city the minimum distance is so long that everybody thinks you are inviting them to take the gap. Fortunately in every car I have had with it you can turn the adaptive bit off. 

Only positive is for the sheepal that just want to follow the car in front at a more than safe distance.i

Thanks towing guys!  I've amended the order and swapped out the evil adaptive cruise for the amazing and compulsory air suspension.  When I placed the order the guy says 'that's a great options list'.  When I change my mind he says 'I think that's the right choice'.  Seems a day makes all the difference :Confused02:.

Final options list is 

Air sus, sports chrono, keyless entry, 360 camera, sunroof, towbar, roof rails, sideblades red, aluminium ext package, power steer plus, comfort lighting, the 14 way comfort seats in place of the sport ones, seat heating and ventilation (front only), floor mats! and black brushed aluminium interior package.  Phew.  Don't add the $$ up as it's embarrassing.

My wife’s car has the ADC on it and I can say it has its good points and bad points. Thing is the bad ones are really bad. 

The radar has a tendency to pick up car in turn lanes to the left or right of you and jam on the brakes. Right pain in the posterior. 

It is great on country roads where the speed limit is constantly changing, that is if they car in front does the correct speeds.

As far as freeway driving, as you come up to a car it will appear in the dash and you change lanes before you get close enough for your car to start slowing.

Would I have it on a car, NO, I think the adaptive part of the cruise control is us, looking for ways get it to work how we want it to.

12 hours ago, Pork Chops said:

Anyone care to comment on adaptive cruise?

I know you have your answer but..........farken adaptive cruise.  I HATE it.  Just give me normal bloody cruise.  It's ok on the slowing down bit but when the car in front pulls away, it is soooooo slooooow to pick up speed so you constantly fiddle with it. And every time you turn it on its maximum range which feels like it slows you down 1km behind the car in front.  More fiddling to reduce the range effect.  Then if you approach a car in the lane to your right that's traveling slightly slower, it slows you down, won't allow "undertaking".

ive also had a few times where turning through a median strip and I pick a gap in the traffic and pin the throttle and the bloody radar bullshit jams on the brakes, bells and rings going nuts, flashing red triangle on the dash.  You sit there thinking WTF just happened and then realise the radar thinks it saved you from certain death of driving across in front of a car approaching from 500m away.  Bloody scary and dangerous.

I couldn't be more clear, it's bloody rubbish.  Autonomous driving, yeah right, if adaptive cruise is any indication, spare me

rant over.   Good choice, no adaptive cruise ?

Sounds like I dodged a bullet. I prefer to tailgate (and flash lights) until people clear the right lane so it was never going to suit me, but my wife is happy to go with the flow so she liked the sound of it. But it’s dead and buried now. Just have to tell her I ditched it for a chassis improvement. She’ll love that...

I should clarify.  I like the concept of adaptive cruise, fantastic idea do it should be great.  But Audis execution (I assume Porsche use the same tech under the VW umbrella) is terrible.  Sounds like Mazda got it right.

stop start annoys me too, again Audi calibration is shit, it shuts off before you've come to a full stop and the diesel can be a bit hesitant when it fires back up.  But put the auto in sport as I do every drive and it overrides (as does dash button) so it's really a non issue.   

7 hours ago, hugh said:

Big fan of adaptive cruise here.............fantastic. I also don't find start/stop an issue - maybe I'm just odd or maybe Mazda is one of the few that has it right. 

I'm with you Hugh, deployed without laziness it's amazing.  Simply use the brake pedal to disengage it appropriately, stay 'involved' and it adds another dimension.  It's not set and forget.  If you really want fully auto cruise control QF offer it.

Shit! Maybe the bullet was a good thing :wacko:.

I must admit I used it once on a Benz C63 the dealer was silly enough to loan me over the weekend (they do good burnouts ;)) and thought it was good. I was on the south eastern coming into town after work and it was medium flowing traffic with nowhere to go as all lanes were occupied as far as you could see. But, I’d imagine country driving with less trafficked roads some of the annoyances mentioned above may come into play. I’ll never know as the deed is done. If you ever meet my wife, remember not only is ACC annoying, poorly conceived and executed but also dangerous! Additionally AS is a crucial for safety and comfort and let’s not forget resale...:ph34r:

On 21/12/2017 at 6:51 AM, Pork Chops said:

Thanks Tips.  Hope I do.  Just drove my outgoing BMW 335i (modified) to work and it's an astonishingly fast car so the Macan has a lot to live up to.  This is my Macan.  For some reason it doesn't show the roof rails which I think are a visual must, but they're included.  It's not your typical blacked out sporty spec in terms of how it looks but I really like it and it reflects the fact my wife will be driving this one too.

IMG_3100-L.jpg

My wife didn't mention divorce when I suggested a Macan but she did mention it if it was going to be grey...

If that’s your car , you are going to regret ordering a left hand drive.should have got the right hand drive model. Makes it so much easier day to day .

18 hours ago, Jcg1 said:

If that’s your car , you are going to regret ordering a left hand drive.should have got the right hand drive model. Makes it so much easier day to day .

No. It’s all OK. All the cool kids are doing LHD these days so I’m in good company. It’s a Japanese thing.

Archived