Automatic Lawn Mowers

Funny I was going to write Al and Paca too but my daughter did not like it so I went for George and Mildred but I really like Al and Paca so it gets my vote.

We had two horses in the paddock next door when my daughter was four years old.  One was black and one was brown.  She named them Blackie and Brownie.  Nobody ever asked which one was which for some odd reason.

• 2 months later...

Got the alpacas a rad haircut and they're called Fred and Ginger (not my actually alpacas shown but they're getting this look next shear for sure!).  

IMG_5269-L.jpg

I've used a borrowed Toro zero turn mower once on the property and can tell you now no electic or self guided machine is going to do the job.  Not yet.  They're 30hp jiggas and you mow over tree roots, rocks, small branches / big sticks, large strips of gum bark (of which there is plenty), soil build up etc.  In short you need a proper machine for the job.  So now I've learned my lesson I think I'll buy a new Kubota.  THAT SAID, I'm sure in the next 5 years product offerings will change rapidly around automation and self guiding tech.  Last week NAB let go of 20% of their entire workforce due to process automation and it's not like mowing grass is a high value activity, or rocket science...

http://www.kubota.com.au/product/zg227-54/

Kubota-Mowers-Z-ZG227-450-M.png

2 hours ago, Pork Chops said:

Got the alpacas a rad haircut and they're called Fred and Ginger (not my actually alpacas shown but they're getting this look next shear for sure!).  

IMG_5269-L.jpg

I've used a borrowed Toro zero turn mower once on the property and can tell you now no electic or self guided machine is going to do the job.  Not yet.  They're 30hp jiggas and you mow over tree roots, rocks, small branches / big sticks, large strips of gum bark (of which there is plenty), soil build up etc.  In short you need a proper machine for the job.  So now I've learned my lesson I think I'll buy a new Kubota.  THAT SAID, I'm sure in the next 5 years product offerings will change rapidly around automation and self guiding tech.  Last week NAB let go of 20% of their entire workforce due to process automation and it's not like mowing grass is a high value activity, or rocket science...

http://www.kubota.com.au/product/zg227-54/

Kubota-Mowers-Z-ZG227-450-M.png

I’ve got 3 Kubotas at my place (101 acres), absolutely great gear. I did a lot of tractor research & for me this was THE brand, have had great dealer support as well.

19 hours ago, LeeM said:

So essentially, you're giving the Alpacas mullets @Pork Chops 

I call them Prog Rock hair-dos

17 hours ago, GC9911 said:

I’ve got 3 Kubotas at my place (101 acres), absolutely great gear. I did a lot of tractor research & for me this was THE brand, have had great dealer support as well.

Good feedback seems like I’m on the right track. They’re $13.2k for a new Kubota and market rate for a similar second hand Toro (7 years old) is about $10k. Second hand doesn’t seem to stack up to me.

Which ever brand you buy. Make sure it is engineered to the task. Kubota parts are expensive but very robust and reliable. Machines are cheap atm. A zero turn machine's Achilles heel is proper cooling of the hydraulics. Remote coolers.

I have contracts that take me into rocks, branches, roots and ant hills. Fresh blades are your friend. I cut at 4.5" to preserve the edge as long as possible then sharpen.

If you can put your vegan lawn mowers in those areas even better.

Google stick rake, you may find you want one to tow behind. Windy conditions means more dead drop of branches/sticks. They come down heavy end first which would crack a melon. 

On 25/02/2018 at 11:36 AM, firstone said:

Which ever brand you buy. Make sure it is engineered to the task. Kubota parts are expensive but very robust and reliable. Machines are cheap atm. A zero turn machine's Achilles heel is proper cooling of the hydraulics. Remote coolers.

I have contracts that take me into rocks, branches, roots and ant hills. Fresh blades are your friend. I cut at 4.5" to preserve the edge as long as possible then sharpen.

If you can put your vegan lawn mowers in those areas even better.

Google stick rake, you may find you want one to tow behind. Windy conditions means more dead drop of branches/sticks. They come down heavy end first which would crack a melon. 

Yeah a stick rake is needed badly ATM.  Love this key ring that comes with the Toro.

IMG_5534-L.jpg

13 hours ago, Spectre said:

Whatever you do No Horses, first pony your life turns to shit. Get some neighbour to stick his cows on it

Exactly what I did.  14 lawn mowers working 24/7 that spread compost as they go !!

The neighbour fixes the fences and helps dig out the tiger pear for the privilege.

19 hours ago, Spectre said:

Don't get anything the kids can love, it'll only end in tears. AND IF YOU GET AN ANIMAL DON'T GIVE IT A NAME, vets are effing expensive

Whatever you do No Horses, first pony your life turns to shit. Get some neighbour to stick his cows on it

Only good horse is a dead horse in my book. 

6 hours ago, OZ930 said:

Exactly what I did.  14 lawn mowers working 24/7 that spread compost as they go !!

The neighbour fixes the fences and helps dig out the tiger pear for the privilege.

I’ll see about cows or sheeps. A lot of it will come down to the adequacy of the fences, who will upgrade and up keep them and what kind of characters people are the deal with. I’m not having agisted animals if the owners are dickheads. Hopefully I find a mutually beneficial arrangement.

Only l good horse is a dead one. Did I say that?

• 2 years later...