luftgekuhlt anyone going?

turboT

Well the epic Porsche weekend is nearly over...finally met some more pfa people, as always great guys.  Plenty of laughs, arguments over the finer points of the perfect Porsche and just lots of amazing cars.  I'll follow with more pics when I get organised but with hundreds of great cars it will take a while to digest and pick favourites.   Not sure how to top this one...have to organise a group trip to the museum!

Just a great weekend all round. The Luft was unreal. Air cooled overload!

The venue was a timber yard which they used to populate Porsches throughout the storage racks and saw mills. Very cool effect.

Here are a few pics, way too many cars to snap.

qLUXq3M.jpg

z530c5M.jpg

9pjh6PF.jpg

foTrrm9.jpg

z0H1uVE.jpg

RUF

DAO3TYT.jpg

INBpgtw.jpg

p1ewtke.jpg

wkbfA4e.jpg

These 2 cars were something different. A lot of detail..

rWQc57G.jpg

I4RjS3W.jpg

Aoz1YD3.jpg

8qks8Fq.jpg

Singer

5MP8VBQ.jpg

8DXxbnP.jpg

k5ZDQXR.jpg

lFzQ32g.jpg

Bdxk52L.jpg

ZJUV13N.jpg

q48LoAJ.jpg

TFbnnq0.jpg

4wAsYs9.jpg

MByhhvG.jpg

97ONvpy.jpg

UuYFerX.jpg

2BbkQrQ.jpg

lAhHcro.jpg

This was just a tiny sample of what was on display.

I've already flown back up the coast, the magic is over...back to work, but inspired.

CizGdKI.jpg

Overall. I can highly recommend this weekend for any future attendees. Lots of special events that compliment this car enthused/obsessed city.

Good to catch up with other PFAers. It's pretty awesome that this forum reaches out this far and lets us connect.

Can wait to get back home and drive mine!

I don’t know how I missed taht blue singer but apparently I did.

Lucky Phil : I think it’s just as easy to do it like was done - everyone says if they are going, people meet up at random depending on what they are up to.  In the end everyone has a different schedule, interest and budget.   The best thing would be to get interest and then all book the same hotel / area, which makes meeting up / car pooling easier.

How the weekend played out for me was pretty much perfect.  Got to do my own thing but at the same time got to meet and talk with other enthusiasts.   And it wasn’t just about the PFA crew I had a lot of fun just talking to random people and expanding my knowledge a lot.  I spent 15 minutes talking about and looking at a 4-cam 356 Carrera which is a car I had little knowledge of before.   

So yes definitely people should pencil it in and get on the mailing list, and just co-ordinate via a thread.  But keep it casual so nobody is overburdened with being a tour director or stuck doing things they aren’t into.

It would suck not to have a hobby this cool ? - the whole scene in LA was next level.

40 minutes ago, Coastr said:

I don’t know how I missed taht blue singer but apparently I did.

Lucky Phil : I think it’s just as easy to do it like was done - everyone says if they are going, people meet up at random depending on what they are up to.  In the end everyone has a different schedule, interest and budget.   The best thing would be to get interest and then all book the same hotel / area, which makes meeting up / car pooling easier.

How the weekend played out for me was pretty much perfect.  Got to do my own thing but at the same time got to meet and talk with other enthusiasts.   And it wasn’t just about the PFA crew I had a lot of fun just talking to random people and expanding my knowledge a lot.  I spent 15 minutes talking about and looking at a 4-cam 356 Carrera which is a car I had little knowledge of before.   

So yes definitely people should pencil it in and get on the mailing list, and just co-ordinate via a thread.  But keep it casual so nobody is overburdened with being a tour director or stuck doing things they aren’t into.

It would suck not to have a hobby this cool ? - the whole scene in LA was next level.

Good to finally meet you Coastr. Totally agree on the Sentiment above. The only thing missing from my trip was a good drive. Hire car fuck ups didn't help but having your own car at the event, but also to drive around would have been next level. Would be hard to justify going next year, but if the POLO build stretches out...

Agree with all above. Somehow need to find a meeting point at/before the event that we're really clear on. On the day I had no mobile data so had trouble finding people.

On a tangential topic, what are some of the Instagram accounts for the cars shown? Some I know:

Agree a pre planned tour would be hard as best laid plans go out the window on day 1.

About 10 steps in the gate at Luft I bumped into Tom waiting in the  merch line which blew the 0930 meet up, and hoping to find people later was a challenge as the place was huge.

Overall a great week, and agree with Tom and Coastr, it needs to be a little loose as everyone has different interests.

While I looked at Turo,  glad I didn’t rely it - I’m sure like everything there is good and bad experiences with that sort of thing but I had too much packed into 5 days to risk it (and needed a SUV with unlimited kms to pick up and deliver car parts)

I wouldn’t travel to Luft as a single event, but combined with CFOS, Petersen and my own car it was an overdose of Porsche and LA car culture like I’ve not seen before!

Expect only Rennsport and Monterey could compete with that week...

4 hours ago, LeeM said:

Clearly! They just seem to get 'it' over there. Apart from Rennsport, the only 'show' I've seen come close to being epic was the Hangar Banger. 

Not only do they get it, but they don't constantly talk about values and and the cost of cars. It used to be like that here with a great bunch of enthusiasts, but that changed...

2 minutes ago, mph911 said:

Not only do they get it, but they don't constantly talk about values and and the cost of cars. It used to be like that here with a great bunch of enthusiasts, but that changed...

I had noticed that on occasion ?

Belle of the ball? Hmmm...

The one I was most excited to see was this 72 RSR because it had inspired me from this 2013 YouTube video.

DSC07841.jpg

I think the 962CR was the most amazing car, never even knew it existed.

Favourite car was this one, but of course this is a very personal and subjective choice:

DSC07836_1.jpg

Edited by generalsmirnov
Images were broken