The great 996 X51 caper, who ticked the box

michel

Following @Fraz wild postulations on the fruit and joys of (new gen) 996 ownership 

I've been wondering how many have delved into the sublime and nuanced glory of the x51 optioned 996 carrera?

my interest is piqued now to have my loins stirred... 

at first thought it just a Germanic  'ricer' tuner addition, but reading suggests it was and is a bit more.

the X51 options appears to have been developed as a failsafe in case the newly minted Gt3 didn't pass muster for its first year of motorsport ... 

the x51 was also a lot more than CAI a chip tune and zorst. Al

Anyone tootling round in such a rarity that would care to share their wisdom?

is it distrnictky better different to std carrera offering ? And how's it compare against GT3? Anyone done a back to back ?

On 31/12/2017 at 2:53 PM, michel said:

Following @Fraz wild postulations on the fruit and joys of (new gen) 996 ownership 

I've been wondering how many have delved into the sublime and nuanced glory of the x51 optioned 996 carrera?

my interest is piqued now to have my loins stirred... 

at first thought it just a Germanic  'ricer' tuner addition, but reading suggests it was and is a bit more.

the X51 options appears to have been developed as a failsafe in case the newly minted Gt3 didn't pass muster for its first year of motorsport ... 

the x51 was also a lot more than CAI a chip tune and zorst. Al

Anyone tootling round in such a rarity that would care to share their wisdom?

is it distrnictky better different to std carrera offering ? And how's it compare against GT3? Anyone done a back to back ?

Hi Michael,

i have had mine for almost two years now and love it. I was originally after a 996 Gen 2 but when I saw the Gen 1 with X51 and factory sports suspension (030) and exhaust I was sold.

Can’t comment on relative performance as my only other significant p-car experience was with my old 986.

X51 is more than extra 20hp, also includes upgraded lubrication and cool kit. Good for  tracking methinks.

here is an interesting post on it.

http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=60293

On 03/01/2018 at 6:05 PM, michel said:

Confuse me @Troubleshooter 

So with oz cars  the x51 box = 030  = powerkit and M030 suspension . 

I read somewhere (so gotta be fact) that all C4S had the power kit fitted as std?  Was this for oz cars or just Brit forum malarky?

All 40th Anniversary models have the X51 kit, not all C4S models in the UK have the x51 but it is very common.

Out of this list of x51 pack parts from Pistonheads quite a few aftermarket parts could be used to make up your own "x51" style "power kit" with bolt ons (if you'd like to go down that route)

Here is what is added/modified in the X51 kit: 

- new intake manifold with modified cross-section (material: sand cast aluminium ); - use an IPD plenum or even a IPD + GT3 throttle body

- new intake pipe supports adapted to the form of the intake manifold; - out of luck with this one - need to stick with the standard - but the IPD would be an improvement

- new exhaust manifolds with larger cross-section and optimized flow behaviour; - plenty of reputable exhaust manufacturers 

- new cylinder heads with optimized, CNC-milled inlet ducts; - nope

- new camshafts with larger valve stroke on the inlet side and modified inlet and outlet timing; - nope

- inlet valve springs adapted to the enlarged valve stroke; - nope

- modified partition box in the oil pan; - genuine x51 pan or aftermarkets available 

- modified maps for the DME control module; - ECU tuning is available from various tuners (some better than other from what i've read) the PIWISII software does have a MAP for x51 but who knows what that would do - not recommended

- new underside panel in the transmission area; - Guessing its because of the lowered suspension but genuine and aftermarket oil pan protectors are available 

- all cars (except C4S) get a third radiator - can be added with genuine or aftermarket parts

So 6/10 options are available if you wanted to increase the power of an N/A 996 slightly - also everything is reversible 

• 1 month later...

I have a 996 X51 (plus some gemballa goodies),  been out with a GT3 on a few runs and I actually enjoy mine more, felt more urgency and like the way it screams to the redline through the gears but it's not a like for like comparison I suppose - the extra noise alone in mine probably adds to the occasion and amplifies the effect.

Given it was developed as a GT3 'plan B' I guess it's not surprising that the performance is similar. I love the thing, stumbled across it by mistake. Acceleration is very consistant and it is a bit more intense lower down the range compared to a standard c2. The response just feels that bit sharper and purporseful

Full list of components for anyone interested:

Modified oil pan partition box (larger alloy baffles with aperture valving replaces small plastic baffles) 
Uprated exhaust gasket for larger exhaust ducts 
Adapted exhaust manifolds with larger cross-section and optimized flow behaviour 
Alternative suction line on AC compressor (modified for space reasons) 
Optimized inlet and exhaust ducts (machined and polished) 
Modified intake system (modified cross-section - sand cast aluminium replacing plastic) 

Revised cylinder heads 
New 996 mark 1.1 revised swirl piston set (3.4 only) 
Modified valves (including profile and longer shaft) 
Larger lift camshaft 
Additional dual chamber oil extraction pump 
Additional oil extraction pipe (to service cylinders 4-6) 
Additional third radiator (excl. C4S) 
Alternate Tri-metallic catalytic converter 
New shields for new oil suction pipe 
New underside panel in transmission area 
Modified fuel maps for DME (rev limit raised by 200 rpm)

Yep - my Mk1 X51 is awesome, much more spritely than a standard 996, not just in horses, it also spins up harder. Had Autohaus upgrade the oil/air filter and put in a new clutch, plus re-do seals etc. I recently changed the air filter and intake, and had a shop do a Gundo-hack on the exhaust which did a lot for the 996 noise.

Read on another forum that a shop in the UK dyno-d a few X51’s and they were running 35+HP over stock (over claimed 25hp), which seemed right given accepted view Porsche always slightly under-baked official HP numbers.

676c0f9af8c9698c7aae8f928be5a5f1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...
On 12 March 2018 at 5:25 PM, AL911 said:

Yep - my Mk1 X51 is awesome, much more spritely than a standard 996, not just in horses, it also spins up harder. Had Autohaus upgrade the oil/air filter and put in a new clutch, plus re-do seals etc. I recently changed the air filter and intake, and had a shop do a Gundo-hack on the exhaust which did a lot for the 996 noise.

Read on another forum that a shop in the UK dyno-d a few X51’s and they were running 35+HP over stock (over claimed 25hp), which seemed right given accepted view Porsche always slightly under-baked official HP numbers.

676c0f9af8c9698c7aae8f928be5a5f1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks great mate

• 1 year later...
46 minutes ago, raafrebel2 said:

Does the 997 also come with x51 option?

i crashed and totaled my 997s and in the market for another. 

There is a 997s for sale on Carsales and claims it has 281 kw.. power upgrade kit.

but for the same cash, I can buy a gen 2 997

Geeez that sucks - hope you're okay

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/02/2019 at 21:41, Troubleshooter said:

ejCMWvA.jpg

Pretty sure this is my cousins original car. He ordered this in 1999/2000 and specifically with the 911 badge on the rear. At one stage ir was set up by Jim Richard's suspension guy with GT3 seats, half cage and upgraded extractors. This left a real impression on me! 

2 hours ago, Troubleshooter said:

Original owner from Sydney Theo, and totally as ordered from the factory ...what's your cousins name? All the C2 coupes from mid 99 to mid 2000 had 911 badge ….

Definitely not Sydney... Melbourne. Chris. 

3 hours ago, Troubleshooter said:

Original owner from Sydney Theo, and totally as ordered from the factory ...what's your cousins name? All the C2 coupes from mid 99 to mid 2000 had 911 badge ….

Mmmm interesting.  A seal grey 996 drove past my street as I was waiting to pull out this morning, looked like it had 911 badge but also Carrera, and was a mk 2.  Looked like NSW plates, (mind you who knows these days, they are all looking similar these days and you can get personal plates pretty much how you like it) but I think I might have seen it a couple of times from a distance over last month or so, so perhaps new to Launceston / Tas.  Perhaps this could be an X51 too then?  Looking forward to catching up with owner when I can - it's always going the other way or traffic lights stop you catching up.....

• 4 years later...

x51_kit_181.jpg.634e207da7b4889bd245acd77ec0ea8c.jpg

13 hours ago, AndrewM said:

Was afraid of that... :) Thanks for the information. This feels like a case of something to do if the motor needs to be stripped anyway.

I would reckon by the time you payed for the heads  oil pump, cast varioram,exhaust, 3rd radiator, oil pan, X51 chip and a few other bibs and bobs you would be fly blown 😜. Not to mention the Spanner man fees.