WTB 996 turbo

Peter John

Hi guys- on the hunt. We all know it’s about finding something clean and well loved, in good condition and low to ok km’s. Manual. 

Im located in Melbourne but could travel for the right car. 

If you’re looking to sell send me a pm. Also may be interested in a 997 S. 

Which of the cars on markets have you seen?  

You might talk to @Fraz , he has tyre kicked a few on the journey of his latest purchase.

I know @smit2100 has also bought last year and is an avid market watcher or was

Do you want a car with mods....?

Interested to know what you consider low kms are also ..

I am plugging for my brother in the UK to get one also and wondered what the  view was on when they are getting worn generally and may need things like turbos or builds..

The TT is a solid bit of kit 

@symsy who do you think has corrupted Pete, one drive in a TT and he’s gone mate. Like myself he has seen the light from air cooled. 

Said it once and I will say it again, the door is closing on the 996 turbo lads as buyers wake up to what a “real performance” Porsche is. 

T

2 minutes ago, Fraz said:

@symsy who do you think has corrupted Pete, one drive in a TT and he’s gone mate. Like myself he has seen the light from air cooled. 

Said it once and I will say it again, the door is closing on the 996 turbo lads as buyers wake up to what a “real performance” Porsche is. 

The man needs mods then and a neck brace for daily use , Hans for the track

Haha yep @Fraz was gentlemanly enough to chat of his latest experience and let me grace the passenger seat @symsy 

All relative to pricing I guess but a golden nugget would be nice, you know, 1 owner, female senior citizen that lived in Albury and only did country kms, washed it after every drive and only serviced by Porsche Centre in the big smoke, oh and she isn’t concerned on money so... ha 

No mods I’d be fine with and ideally under 150km’s? Only 2 manuals on Carsales I know of and both interstate- sub 100k. 

11 hours ago, Fraz said:

Couldn’t agree more.  I’ve had a couple in the past and still think it’s one of the best Porsche’s I’ve owned - period.

Recently drove a mates 600 hp tipper.  Loved it. 

Find one you like, get it checked out and if no issues buy it.  You’ll never regret it.

Just be very patient. I was looking for the same car for about 12 months, ended is picking up 2004 996.2 TT manual with 18,870kms last September. One owner and Porsche Centre serviced all but once. Came with original order on Porsche and service receipts. When you see what you want, jump on it fast. The car I bought had about 70 enquiries in 24 hours from when the add appeared on car sales.

1 hour ago, Skidmarks said:

They’re actually a frag faster to a 100 than the manual ...

I reckon so then you can focus with eyes wide open to the next corner ? before your thumbs do the thinking 

1 hour ago, Allan 968 said:

Just be very patient. I was looking for the same car for about 12 months, ended is picking up 2004 996.2 TT manual with 18,870kms last September. One owner and Porsche Centre serviced all but once. Came with original order on Porsche and service receipts. When you see what you want, jump on it fast. The car I bought had about 70 enquiries in 24 hours from when the add appeared on car sales.

Wow! What a score! 

Here's mine.  It's got a Europipe and upgraded 997 GT2 RS wheelhouses for the turbos and runs a set of factory 997 GT2 RS intercoolers for a bit more punch and removal of boost lag with a set of factory 996 GT2 Recaro's.   The 997 short shift kit is a great mod when you wind up with one and well worth doing for only a few hundred dollars.  The standard 996 shift throw is far too long IMO and the factory short shift kit is pretty much unusable. 

They are a very different car to a Carrera so it may be worth driving both,  a Carrera doesn't do it for me as I like my 911s with two snails on them!   

DSC00978.jpg

DSC00987.jpg

1 hour ago, Fraz said:

^^^^^^ love it ^^^^^^ I think we need a 996-7 Turbo appreciation thread. 

Good idea fraz because I would like to know what a 996 turbo is like compared with the 997 turbo? My only ever drive in a 997 turbo was on a race track in Vegas and it was sensational! 

7 minutes ago, 901er said:

Good idea fraz because I would like to know what a 996 turbo is like compared with the 997 turbo? My only ever drive in a 997 turbo was on a race track in Vegas and it was sensational! 

Done, click below link.

13 hours ago, Peter John said:

Anyone care to share a pic of there car and any history or experience/s with them? Mods/why you wanted one?

I brought my 996 turbo nearly two years ago after looking for about two years for one that ticked alot of boxes.  Had not driven a Porsche before until the Mrs handed me over the keys to the 996tt. I brought it purely on the basis that I am a boost junky and enjoy tweeking boosted cars.( no opening up of motors, just boltons)  Best twin turbo car in terms of bang for buck outside of an Audi b5 s4 /rs4 that responds to tweeking in my opinion.   Eg basic tune and exhaust or turbo mods and associated ancillaries and still an analogue driving experience.

Just a view but a stock 996 is pretty boring to drive on the street coming from a car that boosts from under 2000 rpms and has more torque and hp than a stock 996 turbo.  Lag in the stock 996 and the power band not to my liking.  Very laggy and not much punch  under 3500 rpm.    Great to drive but handling wise.  

So embarking on repeating my Audi project.  E.g. slowly take it from stock to something a bit unique  e.g. stock looking until you get behind the wheel or put it on a hoist.  

If you search my username you will see a lot of my posts on 996 tt's.   If I did it all again my advise is you will need to be patient, buy a series 2 manual, must put a exhaust and tune ( both 1q2w3e4r landed on the same is workshop for tuning turbos and clutches and brake kits etc  e.g. Kevin at ultimate motorwerks) and put a 997 shifter in it.  Then i would sort out all the rubber on the the boost lines and change out all boost valves and the motor and tranny mounts.    Should see about 500hp/500ftlb tq. Not convinced these pristine low km cars rubber bits after 15 years plus outshine a high mileage car keep in good nick and has all its rubber bits sorted. The exhaust on a stock 996tt is boring as batshit to listen to compared to say a 996 gt3 and strangles the stock turbos.  But get a good after market exhaust and free flowing cats and you can get a bit of that 996gt3 tone as well as removing some lag  and just much more better throttle response though the entire rev range.  Personally waste of time  owing a stock 996tt and not putting and exhaust and tune on the car. Light and day difference behind the wheel with a window up or down.

I am going down the path of 1q2w3e4r  but with a few more 1% tweets to try and get the car spooling from circa 1500 rpm's then sorting out brakes and suspension to match the increase in power.    But currently very happy with just an off the shelf tune and exhaust.  

Good luck with it.  Suggest you have a budget off about 8k on top of your purchase price if set on a stock one to get your rubber bits, 997 shifter, exhaust and tune sorted in that order.  If you plan on spending more than that, best to step up to a 997.1tt with just a  tune as I see it.  Better car in stock guise,more power stock and tune gives you the throttle response.  Best to allow the front spoiler to be a maintenance item.  E.g. even in stock guise easy to break them and be interesting to see what happens with it when I chop in half the current stock 4x4 ride height down the track.

Pm me and if  you are down my neck of the woods happy to throw the keys over this week  to give you a baseline comparative and that i am not talking a lot of bs in terms of light and day difference with a stock one.

Archived