WTB 996 turbo

Peter John

2 hours ago, smit2100 said:

I brought my 996 turbo nearly two years ago after looking for about two years for one that ticked alot of boxes.  Had not driven a Porsche before until the Mrs handed me over the keys to the 996tt. I brought it purely on the basis that I am a boost junky and enjoy tweeking boosted cars.( no opening up of motors, just boltons)  Best twin turbo car in terms of bang for buck outside of an Audi b5 s4 /rs4 that responds to tweeking in my opinion.   Eg basic tune and exhaust or turbo mods and associated ancillaries and still an analogue driving experience.

Just a view but a stock 996 is pretty boring to drive on the street coming from a car that boosts from under 2000 rpms and has more torque and hp than a stock 996 turbo.  Lag in the stock 996 and the power band not to my liking.  Very laggy and not much punch  under 3500 rpm.    Great to drive but handling wise.  

So embarking on repeating my Audi project.  E.g. slowly take it from stock to something a bit unique  e.g. stock looking until you get behind the wheel or put it on a hoist.  

If you search my username you will see a lot of my posts on 996 tt's.   If I did it all again my advise is you will need to be patient, buy a series 2 manual, must put a exhaust and tune ( both 1q2w3e4r landed on the same is workshop for tuning turbos and clutches and brake kits etc  e.g. Kevin at ultimate motorwerks) and put a 997 shifter in it.  Then i would sort out all the rubber on the the boost lines and change out all boost valves and the motor and tranny mounts.    Should see about 500hp/500ftlb tq. Not convinced these pristine low km cars rubber bits after 15 years plus outshine a high mileage car keep in good nick and has all its rubber bits sorted. The exhaust on a stock 996tt is boring as batshit to listen to compared to say a 996 gt3 and strangles the stock turbos.  But get a good after market exhaust and free flowing cats and you can get a bit of that 996gt3 tone as well as removing some lag  and just much more better throttle response though the entire rev range.  Personally waste of time  owing a stock 996tt and not putting and exhaust and tune on the car. Light and day difference behind the wheel with a window up or down.

I am going down the path of 1q2w3e4r  but with a few more 1% tweets to try and get the car spooling from circa 1500 rpm's then sorting out brakes and suspension to match the increase in power.    But currently very happy with just an off the shelf tune and exhaust.  

Good luck with it.  Suggest you have a budget off about 8k on top of your purchase price if set on a stock one to get your rubber bits, 997 shifter, exhaust and tune sorted in that order.  If you plan on spending more than that, best to step up to a 997.1tt with just a  tune as I see it.  Better car in stock guise,more power stock and tune gives you the throttle response.  Best to allow the front spoiler to be a maintenance item.  E.g. even in stock guise easy to break them and be interesting to see what happens with it when I chop in half the current stock 4x4 ride height down the track.

Pm me and if  you are down my neck of the woods happy to throw the keys over this week  to give you a baseline comparative and that i am not talking a lot of bs in terms of light and day difference with a stock one.

Thanks for the info! Sounds like they offer a great base ready to be woken up to be a monster!

On 31/12/2017 at 7:11 PM, Fraz said:

@symsy who do you think has corrupted Pete, one drive in a TT and he’s gone mate. Like myself he has seen the light from air cooled. 

Said it once and I will say it again, the door is closing on the 996 turbo lads as buyers wake up to what a “real performance” Porsche is. 

Lol nice work @Fraz. Buys a 996T then talks them up biiiiiig time! Hurry erbody! I know I know you’re just spreading the boosty luv :P.

On 02/01/2018 at 10:28 AM, smit2100 said:

I brought my 996 turbo nearly two years ago after looking for about two years for one that ticked alot of boxes.  Had not driven a Porsche before until the Mrs handed me over the keys to the 996tt. I brought it purely on the basis that I am a boost junky and enjoy tweeking boosted cars.( no opening up of motors, just boltons)  Best twin turbo car in terms of bang for buck outside of an Audi b5 s4 /rs4 that responds to tweeking in my opinion.   Eg basic tune and exhaust or turbo mods and associated ancillaries and still an analogue driving experience.

Just a view but a stock 996 is pretty boring to drive on the street coming from a car that boosts from under 2000 rpms and has more torque and hp than a stock 996 turbo.  Lag in the stock 996 and the power band not to my liking.  Very laggy and not much punch  under 3500 rpm.    Great to drive but handling wise.  

So embarking on repeating my Audi project.  E.g. slowly take it from stock to something a bit unique  e.g. stock looking until you get behind the wheel or put it on a hoist.  

If you search my username you will see a lot of my posts on 996 tt's.   If I did it all again my advise is you will need to be patient, buy a series 2 manual, must put a exhaust and tune ( both 1q2w3e4r landed on the same is workshop for tuning turbos and clutches and brake kits etc  e.g. Kevin at ultimate motorwerks) and put a 997 shifter in it.  Then i would sort out all the rubber on the the boost lines and change out all boost valves and the motor and tranny mounts.    Should see about 500hp/500ftlb tq. Not convinced these pristine low km cars rubber bits after 15 years plus outshine a high mileage car keep in good nick and has all its rubber bits sorted. The exhaust on a stock 996tt is boring as batshit to listen to compared to say a 996 gt3 and strangles the stock turbos.  But get a good after market exhaust and free flowing cats and you can get a bit of that 996gt3 tone as well as removing some lag  and just much more better throttle response though the entire rev range.  Personally waste of time  owing a stock 996tt and not putting and exhaust and tune on the car. Light and day difference behind the wheel with a window up or down.

I am going down the path of 1q2w3e4r  but with a few more 1% tweets to try and get the car spooling from circa 1500 rpm's then sorting out brakes and suspension to match the increase in power.    But currently very happy with just an off the shelf tune and exhaust.  

Good luck with it.  Suggest you have a budget off about 8k on top of your purchase price if set on a stock one to get your rubber bits, 997 shifter, exhaust and tune sorted in that order.  If you plan on spending more than that, best to step up to a 997.1tt with just a  tune as I see it.  Better car in stock guise,more power stock and tune gives you the throttle response.  Best to allow the front spoiler to be a maintenance item.  E.g. even in stock guise easy to break them and be interesting to see what happens with it when I chop in half the current stock 4x4 ride height down the track.

Pm me and if  you are down my neck of the woods happy to throw the keys over this week  to give you a baseline comparative and that i am not talking a lot of bs in terms of light and day difference with a stock one.

What’s with the short post?

6 hours ago, Pork Chops said:

Lol nice work @Fraz. Buys a 996T then talks them up biiiiiig time! Hurry erbody! I know I know you’re just spreading the boosty luv :P.

Mr @Pork Chops my PFA brother :cool07: 

In hindsight, guess I could be accused of talking them up. “If I was selling mate”.

No vested interest in this BS Porsche market as I have no plans of selling any time soon.

So yes it’s boosty luv. :wub: 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well getting rather itchy feet to get back to driving a porsche and a few personal financial things on the go I think I’m changing direction to a 996 or 997 manual of course. Don’t know what’s harder to find - my original search or one of these. 

Ideally Melbourne- as costs of transport and not being able to go over the car, well not ideal. Any leads appreciated!

Archived