996-7 Turbo, GT2 appreciation thread.

Fraz

Thought it was about time we showed the water cooled Turbo cars some love. 

Post your Turbo pics here and as we love to talk about what’s for sale so much, for sale links too. If you have a long lost love of a previous turbo post some pics. Any questions or tips on modifications or upgrades you have done please post them.

DBA8D300-521A-4F22-9E30-118269F5050F

F2BAF993-D5C1-4146-8538-09FBDF886C8F

Love these car from BBI.

1E5CC3A0-C354-4DCB-A535-5D1A2F83C09A

31E95AFD-214D-4DFB-A6EE-4559CAFF8E2E

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Fraz said:

Post your Turbo pics here and as we love to talk about what’s for sale so much, for sale links too. If you have a long lost love of a previous turbo post some pics. Any questions or tips on modifications or upgrades you have done please post them.

Love these car from BBI.

This is up at Lake Mountain yes?

There is awesome driving down in the Yarra - I used to have the GT2 down in Vic as there are plenty of good roads around and places to eat.  Equipped with full Akra exhaust and RS tuning ECU upgrade which takes it to about 440kw.  

Here it is up the top of Mt Donna Buang 

996TT

DSC00985.jpg

Relatively stock with upgraded Porsche bits.  I really think these are some of the best performance for the money around.

- 997 GT2 turbine upgrades to reduce lag and give more punch, 997 GT2 RS intercoolers, 964 RS clutch kit, Europipe exhaust, 997 short shift kit, 996 GT2 Recaro's, Techquipment half cage.  To be installed are GT2 callipers with 350 mm motorsport rotors front/rear.  

Yes @1q2w3e4r that’s my Turbo at LAke mountain, credit for the car goes to the previous owner Jim who is also a forum member.

Modifications.
*    997 GT3 brakes 
*    F & R - LCA Tarret solid bushings, Rennline Monoballs 
*    997 gearbox moun with F1st insert and short shift gear linkage kit
with solid bushings
*    Torque solutions semi solid engine mounts
*    Bilstein adjustable Coilover kit PSS10 
*    Adjustable Eibach sway bars & Tarret drop links F & R
*    New strutt mounts 
*    Kline sports exhaust 200 cel cats with seperate de-cats 
*    GT2 size OZ racing wheels 18"x12" & 18"x9"
*    Stage 1 flash tune by UMW Utimate Motor Works
*    Billet diverter valves & silicone F-hose 

Couldn’t agree more on bang for buck with these cars. Love your pics. 

@FrazYour car is very fast, hard to imagine going any faster for the $$.  I chased Jim a few times in my GT2 (which had ~580hp) and Jim was every bit as fast and more sure footed being AWD, especially in the wet.  The GT2 was no doubt more exciting and lively (ie scary) in the hands of us mere mortals.  Mind you Jim can drive too...I battle these days to keep up with him in same spec GT4s ?

2 hours ago, Fraz said:

F2BAF993-D5C1-4146-8538-09FBDF886C8F

Love these car from BBI.

1E5CC3A0-C354-4DCB-A535-5D1A2F83C09A

31E95AFD-214D-4DFB-A6EE-4559CAFF8E2E

The lower pic stance!

3 hours ago, Fraz said:

Yes @1q2w3e4r that’s my Turbo at LAke mountain, credit for the car goes to the previous owner Jim who is also a forum member.

Modifications.
*    997 GT3 brakes 
*    F & R - LCA Tarret solid bushings, Rennline Monoballs 
*    997 gearbox moun with F1st insert and short shift gear linkage kit
with solid bushings
*    Torque solutions semi solid engine mounts
*    Bilstein adjustable Coilover kit PSS10 
*    Adjustable Eibach sway bars & Tarret drop links F & R
*    New strutt mounts 
*    Kline sports exhaust 200 cel cats with seperate de-cats 
*    GT2 size OZ racing wheels 18"x12" & 18"x9"
*    Stage 1 flash tune by UMW Utimate Motor Works
*    Billet diverter valves & silicone F-hose 

Couldn’t agree more on bang for buck with these cars. Love your pics. 

I've got Kevin's (UMW's) clutch kit and 2A turbos / diverter values etc along with his tune.  He does fantastic work and is the go to guy for these IMO, if you ever want a bit more poke and low end response I can't recommend getting a set of his zero clearance turbos highly enough it really transforms the car.

Yours looks very well sorted!  How do you find the PSS10s compared to stock?  

Here are some cars that we used to play with a long time ago.. I dont normally upload the cars from the race team i was part of but here you go...

The 996 GT2 was one of the first ones delivered to OZ & still sitting in the shed today... both good animals 

IMG_6962_zpsgd2c9zgg.jpg

IMG_1002_zpstzh7umrs.jpg

6 minutes ago, Peter John said:

Nice @James P ! Did you ever enjoy so much to have one on the road? 

They are owned by a very good friend of mine both are road cars... the 996 GT2 is around 650HP & had a Cup Car sequential gearbox at one stage but now back to standard... the 997 Turbo S was sold off long time ago 

8 minutes ago, James P said:

They are owned by a very good friend of mine both are road cars... the 996 GT2 is around 650HP & had a Cup Car sequential gearbox at one stage but now back to standard... the 997 Turbo S was sold off long time ago 

Take much to get the power up? Any other mods you care to share to sort the car? (This is coming from an amateur, well whats less than an amatuer?) Hehe

9 minutes ago, Peter John said:

Take much to get the power up? Any other mods you care to share to sort the car? (This is coming from an amateur, well whats less than an amatuer?) Hehe

Can't remember the specifics but the 996 GT2 was dam quick with lots of mods, the 997 was quick enough standard, i didn't drive them 

2 hours ago, Jimmy said:

That's a bad spin and a very lucky save.

I've had the car up to 260kmh, the faster it was the more stable it felt, it really was rock solid and could feel the down force  working.

On track of course.......?

I managed 265 at PI and felt really good.  Smooth power, felt like it did it easy and was still pulling.  In the video below(~2:50) , tyres were not warm enough and I locked the rears momentarily into Turn 1.  Doesn't look much here but it got the heart racing.  

Somehow after the engine failure and new 3.8 build, it was never quite as good.  Maybe psychological knowing it was non numbers matching. The  best I did was 1:45 (albeit a better driver pushing harder could probably pull several seconds off that).  But I reckon GT3 is a faster car round a track despite the significant HP deficit.

I have driven 997.1 and 996TT for weekends in the swiss mountains.. bang for buck with some mods the 996 is a winner 

If the 997.1 manual falls a little in price is killer car though. 

I wanted a non turbo car so bought a GT3 , but as you have seen me ranting elsewhere the no doubt , I am totally blown away with the 997 and TT in standard form will shock you . if I wasnt holding another TT , I reckon perhaps the 997TT would have been a better fit for me .. 

You really need to decide if your gonna work it on the track , cos for me I reckon a well setup 996TT is a good track/road cross over, the 997TT faster but a little sloppy on the track, compared to Bilteins setup car perhaps or equivalent suspension setup and you might want the GT3 brakes.

Personally I think these cars all need to get to the track to really enjoy them.. Just have two sets of wheels and maybe in a TT have one of those temporary harness bars or drop in a seat if your super serious.  Day to day the leather comfort seat is the plush, you might get fed up climbing across the GT3 race seats

10 hours ago, DJM said:

On track of course.......?

I managed 265 at PI and felt really good.  Smooth power, felt like it did it easy and was still pulling.  In the video below(~2:50) , tyres were not warm enough and I locked the rears momentarily into Turn 1.  Doesn't look much here but it got the heart racing.  

Somehow after the engine failure and new 3.8 build, it was never quite as good.  Maybe psychological knowing it was non numbers matching. The  best I did was 1:45 (albeit a better driver pushing harder could probably pull several seconds off that).  But I reckon GT3 is a faster car round a track despite the significant HP deficit.

Of course on track?

Watched it a couple of times on my phone, couldn't see or hear the tyre lock up .

Interesting about your performance after enginge rebuild, l would have thought the opposite. 

Right at 2:52 you can just hear it and you can see i run quite wide - crapped myself

the engine build was a bit of a saga with Fitzgerald and the tune I don’t think was ever quite right.  I think I was always fearful it would go bang again so we fell out of love....

I can just hear it, pretty frightening at that speed. Plus there's no nannies in that car, you're on your own when something goes wrong..

Its a shame about the engine and not good to hear you had some saga with Fitzy.

How are you liking the GT4 ?

Archived