Manual Cayman s - where are they?

Philbee

1 hour ago, DJM said:

Having recently driven a 991.1 GT3 PDK on track, I came away hugely impressed at the ability to intuitively change up or down in auto mode including aggressive down changes into corners, as well as the full manual mode if desired.  Much much better than I expected.  No doubt quicker than a manual and easier to drive fast. But a hint of PlayStation about it I felt.

BUT Its a different experience to a manual.  I prefer the additional engagement that comes with the clutch pedal and gear lever in my GT4 (which also does the rev match thing to make you feel like a heel and toe hero)

Its kind of analogous to the new turbo engines in 911s and 718s - by any rational assessment (power, torque, acceleration, fuel economy) the new engines are better but lots of us still prefer the idea of NA even if slower, thirstiest, less efficient.  Watch Chris Harris review of 718 Boxster S - without the flat 6 sound, what's the point.

If fastest and most efficient is best, we'll all be happy in Teslas.

GT4 manual shift is supurb, ratios possibly a little tall. 

I haven't driven one, but surely a PDK is the closest thing to a race-like sequential box you're gonna get in a road car?

Who doesn't want to drive a race car around? 

If I were looking at a modern Porsche I reckon I'd go one...just wish they looked more like this:

shifter.jpg

3 hours ago, DJM said:

BUT Its a different experience to a manual.  I prefer the additional engagement that comes with the clutch pedal and gear lever in my GT4 (which also does the rev match thing to make you feel like a heel and toe hero)

I would have thought that for the die hard purest computer based auto rev matching would be pure evil just like a PDK as it is an artificial aid that ruins the shifting experience. But it seems this type of aid is considered acceptable or is it just an admission that humans are rubbish at changing gears and require all the help they can get??

The current 911 PDK and manual boxes are the same, only difference is the shift mechanism - they needed to design/ engineer a rather complex shift to make it "feel" like an old gearbox..... 

I think the Cayman may still have a conventional manual gearbox....

PDK/ Manual or even an old school auto, it does not matter - get over it and drive it!!

4 hours ago, Redracn said:

I would have thought that for the die hard purest computer based auto rev matching would be pure evil just like a PDK as it is an artificial aid that ruins the shifting experience. But it seems this type of aid is considered acceptable or is it just an admission that humans are rubbish at changing gears and require all the help they can get??

If you're a purist to that extent, and you want the full manual experience, it's simple, don't turn on the rev match function (console button).  Me, I love the sound and drama of it and I like to look better than I am so I leave it on always!

you could buy a tesla, no gear changing at all ?  I hear mission E will have 2 gears though.....

but seriously, give me a GT3  manual or PDK and  I ain't complaining.

5 hours ago, TrevMcRev said:

I haven't driven one, but surely a PDK is the closest thing to a race-like sequential box you're gonna get in a road car?

Who doesn't want to drive a race car around? 

If I were looking at a modern Porsche I reckon I'd go one...just wish they looked more like this:

shifter.jpg

Interesting that GT4 Clubsport (the LHD race car, not the tick box package on the road car) is PDK only.  If PDK had a big lever like that and a big gear display so I felt like I was in a Cup car, then I'd be there!

1 hour ago, DJM said:

If .Interesting that GT4 Clubsport (the LHD race car, not the tick box package on the road car) is PDK only.  If PDK had a big lever like that and a big gear display so I felt like I was in a Cup car, then I'd be there!

Most but not all race cars have the big lever just for backup as they are electric servo or pneumatic shifted via paddles. If you want to win you need both hands on the steering wheel. I can just remember H patterns in racing but that is way back last century. Even old manuals are being converted to sequential by a number of companies doing adapters.  

I've been tracking 987.2 "s" models on carsales since 2014 and have only seen 3 to date. I think owners would be inclined to keep the 987.2 manuals given that they run the same 9A1 family engine as the 981's so there really isn't much of an upgrade in the way it drives :)

• 3 weeks later...

Shame the 987.2 Boxster S manuals haven't been doing so well. I just keep seeing the value of mine go down :(

Oh well, it'll be a high km car when I sell it as I just love driving it too much to let it waste away in a garage.

Same with our 987.1 S manual.  Will have to consider where we go in Dec this year when lease runs out, but it will still be worth waaaay more than the residual, try that with any other "modern" sedan.........  Wife likes it so much as a daily drive I suspect we'll keep it (probably have 145kms then, on a 2005 car, so that's still not too bad), unless we decide to try to pick up a late 987.2 or 981 and do the Novated Lease thing all over again.  Can sell the 987.1 and pay off some of my 996.2 :P

Interesting also that some finance companies will finance "special" vehicles that will be over the usual 5 years old at end of contract.  In this case it was Macquarie Leasing, but next time I'd definitely try to source my own finance than going thru the packaging company's arranged finance if I can.  Also will pay more attention to the addons eg shortfall value insurance, which is not nearly so necessary with P cars if you are buying second hand slightly older cars - depreciation factor is certainly much less, so value of car will usually keep up with the finance payout in case of a write-off claim.  ACCC has looked at this insurance recently and I think there's going to be a heap of refunds from a couple of insurance companies.  I need to get the time to delve into this and see if we can apply this too.....

Archived