Valuing my car

autojack

Hi everyone, last time I posted I was looking for advice about having a LHD car here in Melbourne. I've finally made the move (as of a month ago), and the car should be on the docks in Melbourne just as of today. Hopefully it'll move through customs reasonably quickly, but I'm not holding my breath. I have an import agent handling that stuff for me.

I'm planning to get insurance through Shannons, but I was looking for advice about valuing my car. When I look on carsales.com.au it's a little difficult to get a sense of what the market price for my car would be. For one thing, they don't let me limit my model year search to anything narrower than 1980-1990, and then the late 1980s years seem to vary widely in asking price. Today I saw a LHD 1988 for $80k, and a RHD UK-delivered one for $120k. Seemingly similar condition and mileage (or what do you say, 'kay-age?'), but I didn't think the LHD vs RHD would account for $40k in price difference. Would anyone like to hazard a guess at the value for my car? Details:

1988 911 coupe, all original. Excellent condition. 215k kms. Left-hand drive.

Thanks in advance for any advice you have.

5 minutes ago, autojack said:

Easy, it's overpriced at $128, knock off 40  and good to go. Makes a difference if it was imported early in it's life rather than later in it's life and which country it came from as well -- couldn't quite read the speedo - 135 klms may be 135 miles since it's a mph speedo . Nice colour and int though and most probably a fine car :rolleyes:, as you would want it to be at near on 100k

This one's on the money all things being equal, add a little discount and you'll be picking up the babes in no time!

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1984/SSE-AD-4713082/?Cr=11

Edit! Just checked the photos instead of reading description - it's a targa! Knock of another $10 gorillas

Edited by Troubleshooter
mistake

Shannons are quite helpful if you take the car to their office in Moorabbin, they’ll inspect and discuss valuations with you. I did that last week with my 87 Targa, (Aussie delivered) and had no trouble, their guy agreed on $100k as being fair. You’re possibly looking in the same ballpark, even though it’s a leftie.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Just wanted to resurrect this old thread, because it occurred to me that I haven't updated my insured value in 4 years. Again going back to carsales.com.au, I'm seeing 1980s 911s asking anywhere from $130k to $180k! Now the majority of those are RHD with low 100k kms on them, and mine is a lefty with 207k kms (I don't know where I got 215k kms in my original post, but minor difference), so those two things plus over-the-top asking prices might mean that my current insured value is not far off reality. But I've got it at $80k and I just wonder if maybe it should be raised a bit. Any thoughts?

13 hours ago, autojack said:

But I've got it at $80k and I just wonder if maybe it should be raised a bit. Any thoughts?

My backdated '78, is factory rhd matching numbers Hong Kong import insured for $80k. I called Shannon's about another matter, and they offered to raise its value from $70k last year to $80k without me even asking them to or providing any photos etc, and no increase in premium either. I've been offered $90k for it not long ago.

Lefties are a hard one to value in my opinion, as some love them and some (arguably most) don't, so it's a popularity contest when it comes to what's its really worth. If it was RHD, then it's probably worth 10-20% more in the same condition.

Just the way I think, is that if the car owes you less than $80k, then you're already ahead with its insured value which is a bonus. As @cafe_racer mentioned with high dollar cars, I'd say a lot of them don't sell for the prices you mentioned

@LeeM I'd suggest your car is underinsured at $80K.

My AD 84 Coupe with 194K km - agreed value with Shannon's was upped to $150K earlier this year.

@autojack sorry not sure what LHD's are currently selling for. The agreed value should be enough to buy a similar car in the worse case scenario of writing off yours. Doubt $80K would find you another one...

2 hours ago, Nighthawk said:

Correct  me if I’m wrong, but with Shannon’s insurance, don’t get to keep the vehicle if it’s written off?

You are 'Offered' the wreck as far as I'm aware. 

Not exactly sure how it works, yet I was once told if your agreed value is $80k, you'd end up receiving that, less whatever the car is valued at as a write off. So if it was worth $30k at auction or whatever, you'd get the car and $50k in your pocket...I think

On 08/12/2021 at 19:34, Nighthawk said:

Correct  me if I’m wrong, but with Shannon’s insurance, don’t get to keep the vehicle if it’s written off?

I've been with them for 15 years and once the vehicle is over a certain age you can request 'salvage rights' I think this increases your premium but the wreck remains your property. They wouldn't allow it with my 97 WRX as it's of an era where the airbag technology was untrustworthy so I would have to get a salvage/crash repairer friend to bid on it at auction for me (not that I would want that shell).

From the Shannons website;

Screen Shot 2021-12-12 at 11.58.09 pm.png

You get first right on the wreck with salvage rights - that's why it says 'rights'.  You don't have to take it up if you just want the cash.  It's good if you've spent a lot of money on mods that otherwise would go to auction and get picked over.  Eg wheels, seats, things like that.