911sc turbo conversion

10 minutes ago, Hellblau82 said:

I'm thinking engine swap is the most common sense?

It's probably simplest.

I've got an '87 Carrera with a 3.3 turbo from a 964.

Basically fits straight in. It's running the original engine management from the 964 turbo. Yours being an '82 will have the 915 box which will feel the pinch with the turbo.

A turbo engine won't be cheap. Guessing at least 20, prob more. Plus bits and pieces it'd be a $30k+ exercise before you know it.

You'd get some money back on yours - maybe $10k, maybe more.

Do you like turbo 911's? They're totally different to a NA 911. Very different driving experience. I like both but if I could only have one, I'd prefer a lightweight naturally aspirated car. You could spend some money on hot rodding what you have and have just as much fun, albeit with less whoosh.

8 hours ago, Hellblau82 said:

If you do it, I’d urge you to upgrade your brakes at the same time.

GUT is right on the 915.  Would need some strengthening mods.  Gear sets etc can take it but there are bits that reinforce the case.

I’m with GUT a bit here.  Spend 20 on some nice stuff to your current engine and shoot for say 250 hp, take some weight out (easy reversible stuff like seats, maybe glass and some light panels) and you’ll be there or there abouts in terms of performance.

And still think about brake upgrades either way - even just better rotors, pads and fluid. 

12 hours ago, Hellblau82 said:

You are 100% correct on this. If your car is reasonably 'original' keep those parts to revert back, just-in-case the modifications dont actually add value to your project.

There is a lot of experience on exactly this on this Forum, check out Uncle's turbo conversion to a LHD 911 from a few years back  - also there is a wealth of conversion data on Pelican. I was going to do this on my SC & bought a 3.2 inlet manifold from USA that had been 'Turboised' . Other Turbo bits are easy to come by.

However I realised that the perception of 911's was changing quickly  from 'toys' (to have some fun with) - to big money investments where you didnt dare play around with them too much. Be advised that the originality-snobs will never really accept you & investors will ignore you. So I sold my original SC to get an already upgraded toy. I have a lot of fun with my dirty unoriginal 300HP weekend warrior & BTW dont believe the 915 naysayers - if you treat the 5 speed with respect it will easily handle this output for decades. 

PS: Yes put a Boxster S brake kit in it too.

Mechanically well sorted NA is tone of the better ways  to keep an SC with some tricks of course

When I started to dip my toes in the water with my SC over 3 years now ( novice still ) I have learnt that anything you do engine wise in most cases ( for big power ) its all or nothing .

Supercharge  , Bore out , Compression Upgrade , Turbo Charge , Twin Turbo  , Twin Plug and Unicorn Sperm Intake With Glitter Cannon System the runs on the tears of virgins budget $40k These including the unicorn upgrade will yield generally the same results delivered in slightly different ways . Get yourself a magician ( Can recommend one if you need ) 

Just my opinion on this one . Tickle the SC and make it mechanically sound and you will be laughing . 

Best of luck.

I would think just buying a Turbo car would save a lot of hassle and probably work out to be similar money in the long run. Or just rebuild your own engine with some race bits in it would be a much cheaper option. Better spread of power as a road car unless you like the rush of manic boost

15 hours ago, Hellblau82 said:

anyone got an idea of a rough spend would be to convert a stock 911sc to turbo?

I have a converted 930 that has the 3.3L turbo motor in it. It might be what you are looking for. 

Mechanically good but will need bodywork and interior done. PM if interested. Going up for sale very soon.

7 hours ago, Skidmarks said:

If you do it, I’d urge you to upgrade your brakes at the same time.

GUT is right on the 915.  Would need some strengthening mods.  Gear sets etc can take it but there are bits that reinforce the case.

I’m with GUT a bit here.  Spend 20 on some nice stuff to your current engine and shoot for say 250 hp, take some weight out (easy reversible stuff like seats, maybe glass and some light panels) and you’ll be there or there abouts in terms of performance.

And still think about brake upgrades either way - even just better rotors, pads and fluid. 

better to just sell the car and buy a turbo?  clearly not afraid of chopping up a car so get an import or converted car instead?

I am with the others. Keep your eyes peeled for a hot rod that someone else has already chucked a turbo engine into. It will save you a whole bunch of headaches and probably be a while lot cheaper in the end.

Im Driving a modified boosted 911.... Im pretty sure 930 turbo and box don't fit straight in to a 911 shell. Everything I have is 87 930 , so running a G50 4 speed  ... im pretty sure that the later turbo's like mine are a "long bell" G50 box and the earlier G50's were a short bell. Not sure if thats why Ive had some adjustments but I have had some tunnel mods made... small but any Mod / Fabrication adds $$ to your build

Im lucky that  my car is all 930 apart from the shell its self.... so as above brakes are a big issue when adding boost.... I wouldn't do one without the other.... If you've driven a Boosted 3.3 and experienced the lag and then oh god im going to die power delivery... you'll understand lol. 

3 hours ago, Bersk said:

Im Driving a modified boosted 911.... Im pretty sure 930 turbo and box don't fit straight in to a 911 shell. Everything I have is 87 930 , so running a G50 4 speed  ... im pretty sure that the later turbo's like mine are a "long bell" G50 box and the earlier G50's were a short bell. Not sure if thats why Ive had some adjustments but I have had some tunnel mods made... small but any Mod / Fabrication adds $$ to your build

Im lucky that  my car is all 930 apart from the shell its self.... so as above brakes are a big issue when adding boost.... I wouldn't do one without the other.... If you've driven a Boosted 3.3 and experienced the lag and then oh god im going to die power delivery... you'll understand lol. 

Pretty sure 930 engines fit straight in to all 911 shells. The gearboxes are a different issue. G50's only came in post 89 cars in 5 or 6 speed. Yours is probably a 930/34 or 930/36 4 speed box. I believe to fit a G50 it requires quite a bit of work as it interferes with the torsion tubes on the early cars.

12 hours ago, MFX said:

Pretty sure 930 engines fit straight in to all 911 shells. The gearboxes are a different issue. G50's only came in post 89 cars in 5 or 6 speed. Yours is probably a 930/34 or 930/36 4 speed box. I believe to fit a G50 it requires quite a bit of work as it interferes with the torsion tubes on the early cars.

You're correct on the Box.... I got pretty mixed up there... she's a 930-36 box : / oops.

• 4 weeks later...
On 16/01/2018 at 9:45 AM, Bersk said:

You're correct on the Box.... I got pretty mixed up there... she's a 930-36 box : / oops.

You can get  g50 short which will fit with no mods needed to the torsion tube. I was going to this route till the box swap alone was going to run me 15k so I went subaru box instead. 

Archived