Euge

Anyone done a LWF in 987.1 cayman or boxster?

Looking for anyone who's done a Lightweight Flywheel (LWF) in their 987.1 Cayman or boxster.

Which products did you use and what did it cost you? Any regrets? Would you do it again or would you do anything differently? :)

When having to do flywheel with clutch recently I thought oh great, opportunity to go from dual mass to Single light weight flywheel...

Then I came across this: http://www.flat6innovations.com/index.php/broken-crank

I were also advised by my Workshop not to...

I think moral of the story is if you want it, you’ve got to do everything else that goes with it.

Ouch. I never would have thought a simple change like that could be so catastrophic.  Makes sense when you read his explanation.

My take out was you SHOULD fit the LWF so when the engine inevitably fails, you can justify 3.8 and 425hp NA ?

It seems the failure was inevitable with or without the LWF.

12000 race miles on a crank ... please ...

On the logic in the article, balance the LWF (and all the good ones are - although I do check mine ..) and the status quo is restored and any other imbalances would be the cause.

Harminic damping from a flywheel doesn’t prevent or cause crank breakages.

Also, Dual Mass Flywheels are also likely to be out of balance.  And being heavier, they will place a greater rotating mass on the end of the crank and therefore the crank.

Just my view I should add.

4 hours ago, Skidmarks said:

On the logic in the article, balance the LWF (and all the good ones are - although I do check mine ..) and the status quo is restored and any other imbalances would be the cause.

Also, Dual Mass Flywheels are also likely to be out of balance.  And being heavier, they will place a greater rotating mass on the end of the crank and therefore the crank.

Having read some of this guy’s posts (more like arguments) on forums I’m always aware of how bias he is towards what lines his own pockets... 

14 hours ago, TrevMcRev said:

Having read some of this guy’s posts (more like arguments) on forums I’m always aware of how bias he is towards what lines his own pockets... 

Not saying they’re wrong - could have been a contributor - just that putting it all at the feet of a LWF is a bit extreme.

On their own version of it, the engine had 12000 race miles.  Assuming it was unmolested, the thing was a grenade waiting for the pin to be pulled.

I rebuilt my Cup Car engines every 3000 km’s and crack tested the crank each time.  And this was the fabled Mezger engine ...

On 1/9/2018 at 10:13 PM, TrevMcRev said:

When having to do flywheel with clutch recently I thought oh great, opportunity to go from dual mass to Single light weight flywheel...

Then I came across this: http://www.flat6innovations.com/index.php/broken-crank

I were also advised by my Workshop not to...

I think moral of the story is if you want it, you’ve got to do everything else that goes with it.

Thanks Trev, That's crazy ... and making me think Twice. It's ashame. I've had LWF in my cars in the past and it was always one of the best mods that really makes the engine come alive! There is also an opinion in forums about the need to change to a spring type clutch which is believed to help with harmonic dampening.

Eg on Pelican parts in the lightened flywheel section

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/44-TRANS-Clutch/44-TRANS-Clutch.htm

Still difficult to a call on the whole LWFW thingy!

On 1/10/2018 at 12:22 PM, Skidmarks said:

Thanks Skidmarks, so you sit in the camp that feels that the LWF risks aren't necessarily as clear cut as some of the opinions out there? :) It is quite a mix of experiences out there and hard to call. Eg. Sharkwerks has a LWFW kit that seems to be in many of their projects so it is hard to conclude!

I don’t think there are “risks” associated with LWFW’s on their own.  Where I’m coming from is that to offer a simplistic “it’s the fault of the LWFW” cause is probably misleading.

The LWFW offers some real benefits in terms of less rotational mass therefore allowing the engine to turn more quickly and less parasitic loss.  I do accept that putting one on may highlight other issues there there will undoubtedly be some masking or “damping” of other imbalances in the crank/pistons/rods area or say the clutch and pressure plate.

Putting one on a car alone might make a difference in the driving “feel” but I doubt that it would result in appreciable/measurable  gains unless you combine it with other things such a blueprinting for instance. 

And if  you’re going there, settle in and get ready for a long ride down a slippery slope ... !  And welcome to the dark side.