Tyre Repairs

Lower 41

Hi All 

Has any mid engine owner had tyres repaired , Porsche recommend replace the tyre !  !

Right rear has a 1/4 in bolt hole in it. The tyre has plenty of tread on it. 2 yrs old and 26,000 km. 

Regards 

Lower 41

13ks per year, and at 26ks must be near on technically unroadworthy coz you'll get about 40ks max until it's as bald as Kojak. I say replace - or if you're cashstrapped, repair and don't go thrashing around til winter when you'll be at 33ks and a new set will most probably be in order anyways....

2 hours ago, Lower 41 said:

Hi All 

Has any mid engine owner had tyres repaired , Porsche recommend replace the tyre !  !

Right rear has a 1/4 in bolt hole in it. The tyre has plenty of tread on it. 2 yrs old and 26,000 km. 

Regards 

Lower 41

Its an expensive high performance car and between you and the road is an area or rubber the size of your hand on each tyre

replace the tyre, never try and repair it

Get a new tyre .. Tempe do great pricing , St george Tyres probably a lot less than Porsche. Maybe one of the locals in sydney will give you a tip for tyres ??

Or someone like tyretrader.com.au

Failing that JAX Hawthorn in Melb will ship you one or Tyrepower Hawthorn Melb have shipped me tyres at very very good prices up to Byron where I have bugger all suppliers.

What size is it ?? Maybe somene like you has swapped out for a pair , which is my normal style when I loose an all important rear for example.. Damned potholes and nails..

Pilot Sport 4 have been a great new addition to my TT and quite reasonably priced.

13 hours ago, Lower 41 said:

Hi All 

Regards 

Lower 41

Had same problem early last year on our 987 (3rd RH rear in 3 years :Disappointed:), just replace it, take the advice of the tyre people, they know more than we do, and are not always just trying to make a sale.....  Sometimes we need to be protected from ourselves :P

Thanks guys for your advice . I bought the car last April with 25,000 km on , it was from Brisbane. ( South Sydney Porsche) I mostly use it for runs down the coast to Austinmer through the Royal National Park. :Jumping:

Porsche being my dream car since 15 Yrs old. So luck enough to tick off one box from the bucket list.

So new tyres it is.

Hi Again 

Do any of you know about a glue Porsche use when installing tyres ? This was what they told me at SSP Alexandria. Evidently it has something to do with high torque produced when accelerating , which may cause the tyre to slip on the rim and deform!!

I asked the people at Tempe tyres they never have used it. The only thing they use is a sealant if there is a very slight dent in the mag. :Confused02:

regards Lower 41.

P.S. Thanks for the advice.

1 hour ago, Lower 41 said:

Hi Again 

Do any of you know about a glue Porsche use when installing tyres ? This was what they told me at SSP Alexandria. Evidently it has something to do with high torque produced when accelerating , which may cause the tyre to slip on the rim and deform!!

I asked the people at Tempe tyres they never have used it. The only thing they use is a sealant if there is a very slight dent in the mag. :Confused02:

regards Lower 41.

P.S. Thanks for the advice.

Really, of course they told you that, Porsche's produce more torque than any other car don't they. What a load of BS, i bet they charge through the nose as well.

Thanks Stephen for comment.

Just went to my local , tyre guy . He said Tempe Tyres use tyres which are classed as parallel imports suitable for other countries and are softer so don't last as long. May be 30,000 km out Good Year 265/40z R19 (98y) NO. Eagle F1 Local quote $ 498 , Tempe Tyre $329. I usually do under 5000km a year.

Regards 

Lower 41 

2 hours ago, Lower 41 said:

I would ask them to put that in writing - that sort of bullshit needs to be reported to the department of fair trading

1 hour ago, Lower 41 said:

Thanks Stephen for comment.

Just went to my local , tyre guy . He said Tempe Tyres use tyres which are classed as parallel imports suitable for other countries and are softer so don't last as long. May be 30,000 km out Good Year 265/40z R19 (98y) NO. Eagle F1 Local quote $ 498 , Tempe Tyre $329. I usually do under 5000km a year.

Regards 

Lower 41 

Sounds like BS too!

I have had an issue with a well known tyre brands so called identical tires. Exact same name/size etc visually identical. One made in Japan and the other in the USA. Had a brand new one of each on the front of a front wheel drive and it was a nightmare. Long story short I got onto an actual trchnical brand rep and he confirmed the internal construction was different for the USA manufactured ones as they required a softer ride and that I should not mix them. They sorted it free of charge the next day. 

So Yes different countries can have different versions of the same tyre. But in this case with Porsche N spec I doubt it very much that there is any difference no matter where they are sold. 

6 hours ago, TINGY944 said:

Really, of course they told you that, Porsche's produce more torque than any other car don't they. What a load of BS, i bet they charge through the nose as well.

maybe the 1/4" bolt was there to stop the tyre spinning on the rim :rolleyes:

On 09/01/2018 at 6:42 PM, Lower 41 said:

Hi All 

If your Porsche has given you 26,000km of driving pleasure, the least you can do for it is shout it some new shoes!  

6ada72685a6935c3222d726a91af04d4.jpg

22 hours ago, symsy said:

Get a new tyre .. Tempe do great pricing , St george Tyres probably a lot less than Porsche. Maybe one of the locals in sydney will give you a tip for tyres ??

I found Jax Spinning Wheels in Alexandria very good on price and service. 

On 10/01/2018 at 10:24 AM, Lower 41 said:

Hi Again 

That's gold right there.  

Maybe he said, or meant to say, goo, not glue.  I was talking to a tyre guy the other day (about fitting my new wheelz). He said he uses a tyre fitting wax, whereas some shops still use the old soapy water and brush technique.  Apparently the wax helps the tyre bead better / easier / more evenly.  Something like that.

1 hour ago, firstone said:

My tyre guy used some sort of sealer on the bead on my 4wd ride-on tyre after I broke the bead once. It comes from the factory with a sealer. 

John Deere though, not Porsche ?

You Bloody country hicks ;)   You taken that weedsprayer of the back of that boxster yet ?  

PS I still owe you a coffee

Archived