Tyre Repairs

Lower 41

On 09/01/2018 at 6:23 PM, Lower 41 said:

Thanks Stephen for comment.

Just went to my local , tyre guy . He said Tempe Tyres use tyres which are classed as parallel imports suitable for other countries and are softer so don't last as long. May be 30,000 km out Good Year 265/40z R19 (98y) NO. Eagle F1 Local quote $ 498 , Tempe Tyre $329. I usually do under 5000km a year.

Regards 

Lower 41 

This sounds like the usual FUD when a retailer is faced with cheap online competition.

even if true if you work out the numbers you’d still be ahead.

Each tyre has the compound on it and maybe different countries stock different compounds but I’m very skeptical of the same tyre spec being different in two markets.  Remember spec is more than just size and speed rating.

im also highly skeptical that a performance tyre would be sold in a softer compound for a softer ride. 

50 minutes ago, Coastr said:

This sounds like the usual FUD when a retailer is faced with cheap online competition.

even if true if you work out the numbers you’d still be ahead.

Each tyre has the compound on it and maybe different countries stock different compounds but I’m very skeptical of the same tyre spec being different in two markets.  Remember spec is more than just size and speed rating.

im also highly skeptical that a performance tyre would be sold in a softer compound for a softer ride. 

I can state as a fact that the same tire in different markets can have a different construction and not just a different compound and that this greatly affects handling if mixed with the other construction (see my above post) 

However in this case especially with Porsche N spec I very much doubt that there would be any difference anywhere in the world. And the guy in this case is just using what can be true in the rare occasion to scare. When replacing all 4 or even just an axle it would not matter but like I said having a different construction  on the same axle made my car complete rubbish and even dangerous when driven at a moderate pace. I expect the tire company knew this as I have never seen such promt service in getting it sorted. In my case one tyre was OEM and the other through the official AU importer.

Archived