993 Targa done correctly

Would be possible. If the 993 cab is the same as the earlier cab's, I don't think it would be too hard. Would still end up being a costly exercise I would imagine. I would bet it would be cheaper to just get a 993 coupe with a sun roof ;)

There was a custom 993 targa on ebay a few months back.  Cabrio donor with a roll hoop and glass window.  Looked good.

$165k IIRC.

s-l1600.jpg

Perfect recreation of a real Targa, based on the last aircooled 993 Targa. Inspired by Porsches 991 Targa but still an enthusiastic fan of aircooled Targas, i did a conversion on a 993 Targa without watching the expenses.This Car was ment for myself to use in Mauritius, Cause of Delay in Finishing this Projekt, i am Not allowed to Import this car to Mauritius. All new: bodywork ,Suspension , Brakes, engine less than 500 km, new Orig. color Paint Midnightblue Pearl, new Interieur.

Fully restored.
Unique , perfectly done recreation of an Targa on the base of an 993 "Targa".
Price includes layover in my guesthouse in Mauritus, accompanied free flight from Mauritius to Germany, extended Testdrive, and free Shipping to Australia.
Australian Duty an Custom fees Not included.
Contract also possible via whatsapp [redacted].
Will be back to Germany on 24.07. so life Video is also possible.

Looks like it really has been done, I have the cab, just wonder if it would be as easy as it looks and what kind of costs would be involved.

Anyone know if there would be many places in OZ you would trust this kind of job too.

• 1 month later...
On 1/12/2018 at 8:41 AM, Port 911 said:

Looks like it really has been done, I have the cab, just wonder if it would be as easy as it looks and what kind of costs would be involved.

Anyone know if there would be many places in OZ you would trust this kind of job too.

A whole months gone by found someone yet ? ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

I just Came across this thread and wanted to say that I’ve taken up the challenge for this. I’ve given myself a budget of $15k USD, and so far it lookS like I’m on track with that. This budget includes replacing the cab back seat area with 993 targa folding back seats and rear interior trims.  (Those trims are all I have left to buy). Given the fact that I was able to get a great condition 1998 993 cab for 70K and the fact most good condition 964 targa are selling for 100k, I see it as coming out way ahead when you consider I get a 6-speed with vario ram and flashable ECU… and I’m not even counting what I might get for my near-perfect condition top and cab-control-unit that I plan on selling afterwards.

I probably could have done it cheaper if I were more patient about finding parts. Most expensive part so far was the actually top- I got one in completely restored, like-new condition from “Targa Dan”, here in the states for $6800. 964 roll bars (the inner part) are very hard to find, got one of those from a salvage yard for $2500, you could probably use one from an 87-89 and get for much less. I have the rear glass and all the trims,seals, etc. Next step is finding someone I trust to do the welding and glass install. Should require no painting or visible marks on the body- the work can all be done from the inside, in places that will be covered by trim. Once I find a shop, I’ll pull the cab top and interior myself and verify all the fits.  A careful study of the PETS helps a lot in figuring out what’s needed (eg I needed new catches for the top over the windshield as they have a different catch-shape, got a pair used for $100)

keep an eye out for me on RennList under CosmosMoon, I’ll be documenting it there - hope to be done by April!

• 3 months later...

I am bring back this topic as I my heart says DO IT and my brain says DON'T. So I thought I would ask the PFA collective on their thoughts

Over the years I have restored a TR6 to concourse condition, built a couple of Birkins Clubmans, one of which was widened by 100mm and most recently rebuilt a 993 Targa which was in a very sorry state of condition when it arrived, so I am no stranger to taking on a challenge.

I have access to a fully documented 993 Cab, Manual and low Klm's with good mechanicals, paint etc, its 25 yrs old so its a getting tired on the inside,  I also have access to a 993 Targa top from a damaged car. The Targa is complete except for the drive motors, cables, controller and blind, so basically its the shell and glass, seals etc.

My intension is to marry them together, lock the movable glass in a fixed position and line the underneath for sun/heat protection due the missing blind and operators. Another idea is to remove the sliding glass and wind deflector and install a tinted carbon roof panel with lining, the Tinted carbon will match the blue  body colour.

The interior is currently grey, this will be replaced with a mix of black carpet and dark red seats and door cards.

The questions are 1) would I be destroying an ugly Cab (my opinion) or would it be building something special. 2) would it be of value.

Open to all thoughts

Warren

S'pose you need to ask yourself how popular are 993 Targa's? How popular are Cab's? How many are for sale and do they actually sell? Among Porsche enthusiasts, How popular are non original cars where certain parts don't actually work?

Does the purchase price, plus all the modifications, extra money, time and work justify the end asking price? Would your sale price be well under an original 993 Targa price? 

Personally it sounds like a big gamble, unless you can buy the car for bugger all and end up making a few grand or so.  Cab's and Targa's are a much smaller market than a coupe, and I'd say that anyone who does like them want originality.

So it's a yeah nah from me mate 

Lee everything you said has gone through my brain and it starting to hurt. I don’t need to make money on it, even if I loose some $$ it will keep my brain active for 12mths. Australia is a strange place for modified Porsches, people love to look at them but then say ‘Oh I can’t buy it as its not original’ 

31 minutes ago, WB997.2GTS said:

Lee everything you said has gone through my brain and it starting to hurt. I don’t need to make money on it, even if I loose some $$ it will keep my brain active for 12mths. Australia is a strange place for modified Porsches, people love to look at them but then say ‘Oh I can’t buy it as its not original’ 

Ah well then, if you're not looking at flipping it and just wanting a project, then that changes my previous reply.

I own a backdate I did myself, so I have no qualms whatsoever with modifying a Porsche to suit my own taste, as it doesn't bother me at all what other people think. If people want to buy it, then this is the price and they deal with its 'non originality' and whatever little problems it may have.

I'll change my answer to go for it, and enjoy the journey 👍

I thought about similar a while ago with a 993 cab, though was considering a stainless polished Targa hoop from a g-series. I think that would look great!

In the end, I didn't progress. But I do love an owners individual interpretation of a P car :)

Hi Guys, And thank you for the positive responses. I will picking up the car on Wednesday and then the challenge will begin, as slowly as possible to appease my wife who is always against my car escapades as I seem to become obsessed.

1st on the agenda is a full audit on whats needed to get car up to scratch 100% plus a lot of enhancements. The Targa roof will stage two and will be done as keep the integrity of the car, (complete removable module).  I anticipate being able to remove the Cab roof and ancillaries and keep them as a package so the car can be returned to its original configuration if necessary.

Thanks again and watch this space, maybe I'll do a build diary.

Warren

• 10 months later...

Follow up from last year.... I have done it! 
The total cost was about $25K (USD). It could have been lower - not much, but some - but I made some slight mis-steps, like buying a 964-gen rear window when I thought I had bought a g-body window - so I ended up buying the glass twice. The G-Body window allows for the old-style seal with the chrome inserts - which is something I wanted. Also the 964-style window seal is impossible to find.

That price also included a Getty-design ducktail with chrome insert that was painted and installed by the guys who did the targa conversion. I thought the structural bar had to be 964, but I suspect a G-Body bar would work (and be cheaper and easier to find).

I thought they could do it all from the inside without cutting into the exterior of the quarter panels, but that didn't work out. Thankfully, the guys I used did an amazing job, and the repair and paint of the quarter panels after the bar was welded in looks immaculate. The work was complicated by the fact that you need to remove both the oil tank on the right side (which I knew) as well as the A/C lines on the left side (which we were not expecting). I also had them weld in the mounts for coupe/targa style fold-down back seats. 

The work was done over this last summer, and I got the car back in August. Search Rennlist/Google for a thread on "933 cab to true targa conversion"  ... for a VERY long walk through of the whole process with a lot more pics and details. Phase II is beginning now with is a complete refresh of all leather and carpets in the interior - including fitting all the coupe-style rear quarter panels and package tray. 

Cheers!

IMG_6646.JPG

IMG_6667.JPG

IMG_6668.JPG

IMG_6669-2.JPG

• 2 weeks later...