Looking to purchase a 911 SC - Questions :)

Haha thanks for the input guys - loving this community. You're all very responsive and supportive!

Alright, I'll see if Mike is keen to check the car out while I'm getting the PPI - PM incoming mate haha.

I honestly don't care if the interior isn't original, I really wanted to make it my own anyway. I don't intend to sell this car... My cars always mean so much to me.. I could barely stand to see my first car (Ford Laser) go... I'd fall apart saying goodbye to something as special as a 911. Resale value is not on my mind. The external of the car is gorgeous and in no need of a respray. I'm very handy with electrical work so I'm not concerned about cleaning up the mess of the previous owners. I liked the seats that have been installed. It is missing the centre console though (around the shifter) no idea where that went. The steering wheel is still a Porsche steering wheel - just doesn't look like other ones I've seen in car sales 911sc's of the same year.

The owner drove the car through the gears just fine while I was in it. I think I just in shock of the difference between my car's shifter and the 911. Not to mention I tried to shift with far few revs (1K RPM) and too quick an action. It reved so damn fast. I've never been so afraid of a car in my life LOL. I drove it so slowly haha - plus the noise... I'm used to my Wrx's wall of sound but the exhaust note of this thing was vicious and angry more than anything. Instant love.. 

What an experience though guys... the seating position... legs straight... the sound... it wasn't that fast but I felt like it was trying to kill me... my rexy felt so tame in comparison.. I was sold even though I was terrified I wouldn't be able to make it up the street in it :P

All I wanted to do was drive it home, wash it, wax it, vacuum it and do it all again the next day... I just want to make sure it doesn't cause me to make a big financial mistake.. So I really appreciate the help.. Thanks guys :) 

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Smussato said:

I honestly don't care if the interior isn't original, I really wanted to make it my own anyway

Good lad! 

Oh, and you're already hooked on these things mate, there's no turning back once you've owned a Porsche! Buy it for what YOU are happy to pay, yet just to have a little piece of mind, have a little cash available for that just incase moment. Oh, and they can bite the unwary, so don't drive it like a WRX! 

Buy it, drive it, fix it if required, but just enjoy it! 

2 hours ago, Dreamr said:

That's a bit harsh Andrew .... even an absolute Hank Moody beater is worth more than $20k .... I haven't seen an air cooled sell for that price in any condition for many years .... 

Even as a parts car, it's worth more to the seller to do that than sell it complete ....

Surely you could reconsider your valuation (and take your balls off the line)  ... :LOL:

You're right of course, however imagine, paint, wheels, interior, engine all needing work you would totally over capitalise, where as you could just buy better in the first place if you have the readies. 

1 hour ago, LeeM said:

Good lad! 

Oh, and you're already hooked on these things mate, there's no turning back once you've owned a Porsche! Buy it for what YOU are happy to pay, yet just to have a little piece of mind, have a little cash available for that just incase moment. Oh, and they can bite the unwary, so don't drive it like a WRX! 

Yep listen to him, don't drive it like a WRX........Lee is a very conservative driver, now what year was that, nup can't remember.

Even though resell value shouldn't be your primary consideration, I do encourage you to keep it in consideration. There really aren't many bad Porsches, and after you've had your SC for a little while you may decide that it would be nice to try something else. 

Also don't under estimate the value of air conditioning .. I might be soft .. however I use my SC lots more since I had my A/C sorted. It's still not like a fridge however it increases the number of days per year you can enjoy your car without the discomfort distracting you from the experience.

As far as prices go, I think with a little effort you'd be able to secure am Aus delivered targa SC that was in good condition (definition= documented engine history, good exterior, interior that is used however not stuffed, air conditioning in place) for $80k. My mental image of your car suggests that buying at ~$65k or less is probably a fair starting point. 

Data point for comparison however I'm sure you've already looked.

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-1983/SSE-AD-4764548/?Cr=8  

Also note that the series 2 SCs did have a few more horses under the bonnet which never go astray.

On 1/15/2018 at 8:35 PM, bear924 said:

As far as prices go, I think with a little effort you'd be able to secure am Aus delivered targa SC that was in good condition (definition= documented engine history, good exterior, interior that is used however not stuffed, air conditioning in place) for $80k. My mental image of your car suggests that buying at ~$65k or less is probably a fair starting point. 

I've got a budget and sadly 65 is too much :(. As everyone has said I'll be sure to adjust my purchase cost based on the PPI and what needs to be done. Otherwise I'll have to walk away :(

If you can get it for less than $65k, then you're probably at least in the right ball park. If you can get it for $40k, you'd probably find you could flip it relatively easily if needed. Just depends on the current owner and their selling price expectations.

Just be aware that these old Porsches cost $$ to own, even if you do the work yourself. If you're really keen on a Porsche, you may be better to get a 996, cayman, boxster, 944, 924!!! ... or maybe a 928 (can also be $$). A 986 boxster would be a hoot to drive and can be purchased with much less risk and $$.  The problem with these older cars is that they are old cars. Purchasing a car cheap because it has a ton of $$ of delayed maintenance can quickly bite if the over all budget is tight. This is a real risk that many first time (and second time) Porsche owners fall into. 

I purchased my first Porsche at 19, have owned my 931 since I was 21 so I know that running a Porsche on a tight budget can be done, however don't under estimate the potential costs. 

By issues, do you mean non standard ?

If so, the body kit, rear blinker lenses, the seats, the instrument surrounds, strut brace, missing panel over the vent system in the boot and the aftermarket windscreen washer bottle.

Can't see very well but may be missing a ventilation hose or two.  Really need more pics to get a better idea.

If it's along term hot rod project, still need more pics, but could be a good base at the right price, and what bear924 said.

The first few things that stick out are as follows ....

The rear bumper is aftermarket and it looks like it has flares on the rear wheel arches ... all add ons ....

The rear tail is not from an SC .... the seats are non standard neither is the steering wheel  or the gauge surround trims....

None of the things mentioned above are bad and I'm not implying that there is anything wrong with the add-ons, but what these things tell me is that previous owners have played with this car ... it looks tired ...  as long as they knew what they were doing, its not a bad thing ... its when the cowboys start playing that things can turn ugly ....

This would not be a car for me as none of this things are of interest, but for others they are great ... 

We would need more photos to get a better understanding of the overall car ...

On 1/15/2018 at 10:13 PM, OZ930 said:

By issues, do you mean non standard ?

If so, the body kit, rear blinker lenses, the seats, the instrument surrounds, strut brace, missing panel over the vent system in the boot and the aftermarket windscreen washer bottle.

Can't see very well but may be missing a ventilation hose or two.  Really need more pics to get a better idea.

If it's along term hot rod project, still need more pics, but could be a good base at the right price, and what bear924 said.

I'm happy with anything. Please fire away. Non standard parts/missing components that's all good to know :) That's why I'm here asking the questions!

Im rooting for you to get it and save it! 

Its far from original, I really think that is a strong selling point for you to get it closer to 30-40k. It looks pretty rough and aged, but if youre after a project to make your own, there are none better.

Also looks like it has a short shifter? Usually the shifter is a little longer, might also explain why you had issues with the gears.

PPI will reveal a lot! 

Thanks guys! The more insight the better :)

12 hours ago, LeeM said:

Good lad! 

I'm already hooked for sure :P 

Alright guys, PPI is booked in. I'll keep you updated with the end result :)

A few questions for you though - what do you guys recommend for:

• Tyres what model / how much (my favourite are Bridgestone Potenza Re003s but I don't think they are available for 255/40/17)
  • How easily/how much would it cost to replace the whale tail with the standard or duck bill
  • How easily/how much would it cost to replace the front bumper with the original style
  • How much have you paid in the past for a recarpet or complete leather interior 

Thanks guys! They are mostly cosmetic (aside from the tyres) but just trying to budget for the (very) long term! 

Metal decklid $600 to $800, probably the same for a glass one 

Stock metal bumper set front and rear with everything required  (brackets, bumper shocks, rubber smile etc) $1500 and up, or an IROC/stock glass bumper $800 each unless you find something cheap on Scumtree. All plus paint

I've got a front glass bumper, but think it's for Turbo guards. Can have that for $100 plus freight if you can use it

On 1/15/2018 at 5:05 PM, Peter M said:

Zel has got this so right I had to post it again!

PPI's often tell you more about what you don't need and rarely enough about what you want to know.  They also don't consider your weightings or preferences on what you're happy to live with and what's non-negotiable.  

What I suggest you do is make a date with Mike, pick him up, inspect the car, take him to lunch, buy him lobster and whatever he wants to drink, talk about the car for an hour and then drop him home so he can sleep it off!

You'll get more out of this and will actually set you up better to inspect the next car if you have to, than any PPI will do.

Mike will be happy as he has posted before that's he's after p-car buddy.

Plus I hear Mike's a cheap drunk so even with the fancy food you'll still be way ahead at twice the price!

haha.. 

Only just saw this...

Hey Smussato I guess it all boils down to how handy you are with a vehicle. If you know your way around electrics and mechanicals then you are ahead of the game. As the others have said buy the best you can for the dollars you have but if you are handy with a vehicle then something that has a good base maybe the way to go.

911's are not that complex. I restored a RSR tribute based on a 911E back in the mid 80's and I have to admit I was scared shitless the moment I stated pulling it apart but when I found out how basic they really are it was a breeze. 

Yes they can be a money pit but remember it's the mechanicals rather than the body that is the expensive part (although that does depend on the extent of the issues to the body). Rust is rust no matter what car it is (although having said that the moment you mention it's a Porsche the price mysteriously goes up 50%. Don't ask how I know:D).

It only takes an hour or so to take the engine out with nothing more than a workshop jack and jack stands and 1 person can do it.

If you know of a good panelbeater/painter that you have dealt with before, use them. It doesn't have to be an approved Porsche repairer.

Don't always automatically think you have to buy original parts from Porsche. For instance wheels bearing. Take them to your local bearing place but don't tell them what they are off of and then compare with original parts. I just hope you are sitting down when you do (again don't ask me how I know:D).

Now all of the above is assuming you are not worried about originality and as you previously said you are not going to sell it otherwise disregard the above.

I guess everyone has a story to tell about the do's and don'ts of buying/repairing a 911, that was just mine. I'm sure there are people who has the opposite experience to mine.

Just my 2c guys.

Alex 

Thanks guys! Thanks Alex!

Everyone's 2C is more than appreciated :) I've learnt plenty reading through all of your comments.

My main goal is to make sure the engine/gearbox is in good working order. The rest I can fix myself ^^

Alright, pre inspection is done. Engine and gearbox healthy, with matching numbers, didn’t think compression leak test was worth doing. Head studs were all in tact. Body was good, no rust. A whole bunch of bits and pieces that need fixing eg tyres haven’t been changed since 2008, wheels aren’t the correct offset for the wide body (two spacers on it). Misfires around corners (something in the fuel tank most likely). Like you warned me there are 5 pages worth of things that need work (shocks are stuffed as well). The mechanic valued the car at 30k max. Owner won’t budge on 40..

Should I let it go? :(

I guess the next question is will you find another 911 in the same condition for $40k. From the sounds of it the car just needs the normal wear and tear items which you would eventually have to replace on a more expensive car anyway.

Archived