1992 964 inlet valves

johnhedge

Hi List,

I'm in the process of acquiring various parts for my engine rebuild. Inlet valves are next on my shopping list.

It seems the Porsche part 96410540908 is ^$$$s. 

I'm asking for direction and alternate suggestions, please.

TIA

John

Funny you ask as I asked one of our favourite independents what was his favourite valve manufacturer was and he wouldn't spill the beans!

There is certainly plenty of non genuine suppliers such as TRW, Intervalve, Schoettle and AE to choose from.  Suggest you have a look at the various on line parts places like fcpeuro, Pelican, Design 911, Vertexauto etc.

BTW  How do you know that the inlet valves will need replacing? 

Please post what you find out as I expect to need some exhaust valves.

https://www.vertexauto.com/porsche-engine-intake-valve-ae-p-292.aspx

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?sid=hzmvef454q1sskyietcvtvqi&makeid=800019@Porsche&modelid=1262898@911 CARRERA (964)&year=1992&cid=20@Engine Parts, Seals %26 Gaskets&gid=5544@Intake Valve

Because my favourite independent has told me they need replacing but wouldn't spill the beans as to who his favourite valve manufacturer is, Peter! :-)

Thanks for the list. I knew about TRW but not the others.

AE seem too cheap to believe as Porsche are in the other direction.

Exhaust valves are next.

Thanks,

John

John,

Since there seems to be absolutely no information of any substance on what are the good brands and what ones to avoid and there are many retailers who have been selling a range of brands for a long long time, it makes me think that they are all largely the same quality.  I mean if the retailers are having failures reported you would think they would drop a troublesome brand immediately.

I guess all we can do is buy a brand we are comfortable with, carefully inspect for flaws, stem finish, straightness, run out and dimensions for consistency.  I'm sure any of the main retailers would accept returns and provide a credit if anything wasn't to standard.    

• 1 month later...

Archived