Starter motor.

Pokiou

Hey Guys,

Need to get some advice from my fellow 996 - 997 owners. My lovely 1998 996 Carrera 2 is starting... well its not starting once the engine gets hot and i've let it sit for about 2-5 minutes. The starter doesn't tick.. after a few minutes it does a single crank and a few minutes later it starts up really slowly. Battery is fine and showing good charge even when cranking. 

Just wondering, has anyone had their one recondition (if so where?)or is it better to directly replace them (bosch, dansk brand) also is their any solutions for the heat soaked starter?

Does anyone have one that they would like to sell ?

Cheers,

I had my 996 starter reconditioned when I bought the car. Cost about $250 from memory (auto electrician cost, not including whatever the mechanic charged to remove and refit).  I wasn’t having hot start issues, though - after doing the IMS solution and replacing all plugs and coils the starter was struggling on cold start. Reconditioning solved the problem. 

It may be the alternator to starter cable too. A simple voltage test of alternator output vs voltage at the jump terminal posts will determine if the cable is getting heat soaked. 

I had the dealership replace mine, in hindsight I could have done it myself. 

Id replace both the starter and the cable then you should be all good. EBay have Bosch units brand new for around $300-350 from memory. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/24/2018 at 6:43 PM, Pokiou said:

Hey Guys,

Need to get some advice from my fellow 996 - 997 owners. My lovely 1998 996 Carrera 2 is starting... well its not starting once the engine gets hot and i've let it sit for about 2-5 minutes. The starter doesn't tick.. after a few minutes it does a single crank and a few minutes later it starts up really slowly. Battery is fine and showing good charge even when cranking. 

Just wondering, has anyone had their one recondition (if so where?)or is it better to directly replace them (bosch, dansk brand) also is their any solutions for the heat soaked starter?

Does anyone have one that they would like to sell ?

Cheers,

Hi Pokiou,

Had the same problem with very difficult (or at the end no) starts on hot starts on my 2008 Carrera S.

Did the full replacement myself of Starter Motor and A/S B+ Cable. Was hard and tedious but worked awesome in the end and saved me giving 2.5+ kAUD to dealer/indy.

See my before/after videos: 

I got a brand new Dansk Starter and an OEM harness under revision 4.

Happy to help, still fresh in my head!

Looking to DIY?

20 hours ago, Pokiou said:

how are you finding the Dansk starter... im tossing up between bosch or dansk.

I also had some doubts before ordering as I generally prefer to take OEM parts. In that case with such a price difference, I decided to not go OEM. I'd definitely rather go non-OEM and brand new rather than reconditioned - no idea how long a reconditionned part will last.

It's great overall; it may sound a little different - maybe a bit higher pitched (The 2nd video might reflect this), although my old started was low pitched because it was dead, so might not be that much different. No idea how it'll last over time either. So far so good, I'd say it's excellent for the time being.

Happy to meet up if you want to hear it or wanna have a chat.

For the record, i bought this DB Electrical SBO0162 starter motor, and it fit and works fine.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H3R9DTM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This was for a 996.2, but double check it fits for 996.1

About 200AUD all up for a new starter delivered. 

Hasn't missed a beat. I didn't change my y cable since i didn't have the hot soak issue.

Installing myself took some interesting arm twisting and long sockets adapters.. but doable.

33 minutes ago, quasio said:

For the record, i bought this DB Electrical SBO0162 starter motor, and it fit and works fine.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H3R9DTM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This was for a 996.2, but double check it fits for 996.1

About 200AUD all up for a new starter delivered. 

Hasn't missed a beat. I didn't change my y cable since i didn't have the hot soak issue.

Installing myself took some interesting arm twisting and long sockets adapters.. but doable.

Nice price Q, how long was delivery?

Hi Guys/Gals,

Quick update, i ordered DB Electrical SBO0162 as it was the cheaper option. How different can a starter motor be from another one? 

Has anyone wrapped there starter motor in those heat wraps to keep the heat off of the motor?

7 hours ago, Pokiou said:

Hi Guys/Gals,

Quick update, i ordered DB Electrical SBO0162 as it was the cheaper option. How different can a starter motor be from another one? 

Has anyone wrapped there starter motor in those heat wraps to keep the heat off of the motor?

Doesn't seem like a good idea. 

1. It's buried far deep, you won't be able to check if your shield is degrading. If it does, you'll need to remove plenty of parts to repair.

2. An engine stays hot during hours after use. There's no way a shield will keep that heat away. it might keep it in :-)

3. I'd rather change my starter every 5 years than to risk compromising the engine/accessories.

Just my view, but it's your car :-)

Rear compartment fan will turn on if the engine compartment temp is >80 degrees C or coolant temp is >102 degrees C

It can be tested using a PIWIS or another Porsche specific computer. I believe Weissach have an Autologic tester. You can also disconnect it and give it 12v to see it working. 

yeah i wouldn't bother wrapping it. Although it's a bit of an arm twist the job wasn't too hard.  and the part is cheap (compared to others). 

Also i assume it needs to let heat out, wrapping plus heat soak may make it worse.

our cars are ~15 -16 yrs old now, so once every 15-16 yrs isn't too much.

And once you install it, you'll find it's plenty strong for any condition. (unless u got a cable problem too)

Well, talk about quick. My starter motor is sitting on my desk at work. I also took all of April off so looks like i got some work cut out for me and @Francois :P I might have a look at it myself first. 

I'll keep you all posted. I also removed my aftermarket headunit and all its crap. 14kg.... Clarion VZ709a + All cables + Navigation system + Media extender + more cables lol... :(

4 minutes ago, Pokiou said:

Well, talk about quick. My starter motor is sitting on my desk at work. I also took all of April off so looks like i got some work cut out for me and @Francois :P I might have a look at it myself first. 

I'll keep you all posted. I also removed my aftermarket headunit and all its crap. 14kg.... Clarion VZ709a + All cables + Navigation system + Media extender + more cables lol... :(

I'd do the starter cable seeming you'll be in there already, it's not that expensive

2 minutes ago, Pokiou said:

What is the cable called or Part number.

Either:

or

Quote your VIN to PCM or PCB and they can confirm which part you require, requires removal of the alternator and either removing the plastic jump start box temporarily from the cable or moving the AC compressor to fit it through.

Cable is: starter motor cable (number 21):

902-05.gif

7 hours ago, dan_189 said:

I'd do the starter cable seeming you'll be in there already, it's not that expensive

Yeah - good idea, would recommend too.

Hey Dan, how far does this cable run on a 996? If i remember our conversation a few months ago, it seems to be more accessible than on the 997.

For mine, I had to go unbolt it underneath the car, where it ran to (almost) the center of the car, or at least far in front of the rear wheels. Raising the car was really inevitable.

How far is the last bolt holding that infamous cable on the 996? Accessible from the engine bay?

Air/Oil Separator (AOS) can also be a wise replacement while in there if you have any signs of weakness. Wouldn't do it preventively though.