Starter motor.

Pokiou

Doesn't run very far, I think you maybe changed a few other cables then if it was under the car?

On the 996 :Disconnect battery, remove airbox, TB, plenum, 2nd plenum - optional (I wouldn't recommend it), disconnect starter, remove starter, disconnect cable from alternator, un route cable by removing jump start box OR undo AC compressor to make room for the cable with the box attached.

Installation is the reverse however on the new cable heat up the plastic box to remove it from the cable OR if you undid the AC compressor the cable + box will fit through, re-route the cable.

AOS is a BIG job, left side intake needs to be removed and the engine needs to be dropped a bit to gain access.

If you need an extra set of hands i'm in Essendon - happy to help out :)

Here are some threads that can help:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/764630-updated-alternator-starter-cable-4.html - replacing cable

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/870715-alternator-starter-cable-replacement-simplified.html - removing jump box

19 minutes ago, dan_189 said:

Doesn't run very far, I think you maybe changed a few other cables then if it was under the car?

On the 996 :Disconnect battery, remove airbox, TB, plenum, 2nd plenum - optional (I wouldn't recommend it), disconnect starter, remove starter, disconnect cable from alternator, un route cable by removing jump start box OR undo AC compressor to make room for the cable with the box attached.

Installation is the reverse however on the new cable heat up the plastic box to remove it from the cable OR if you undid the AC compressor the cable + box will fit through, re-route the cable.

AOS is a BIG job, left side intake needs to be removed and the engine needs to be dropped a bit to gain access.

If you need an extra set of hands i'm in Essendon - happy to help out :)

Here are some threads that can help:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/764630-updated-alternator-starter-cable-4.html - replacing cable

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/870715-alternator-starter-cable-replacement-simplified.html - removing jump box

Ok, probably some significant differences.

It's definitely only one cable on the 997, I replaced it not so long ago - I'll probably never forget :-)

Much longer than 996 then.

AOS is straightforward when doing this job on the *7 - definitely no need to lower the engine, so probably another major difference! 

Cheers :-)

38 minutes ago, dan_189 said:

Must be a few differences :)

AOS on 996 is at the left rear of the engine - bank 1 it's not an easy or I'd say 'almost' not a weekend DIYer job IMO 

Oh yeah - just did a quick search - looks like a PITA!

On the 997, it's right behind the throttle body / plenum. Need to disconnect some of its hoses when you do the starter / cable.

15 hours ago, Francois said:

Oh yeah - just did a quick search - looks like a PITA!

On the 997, it's right behind the throttle body / plenum. Need to disconnect some of its hoses when you do the starter / cable.

If only the 996 was like that! Assuming your car is an S with a 3.8? or MK2?  Saw your bio! They have redesigned it for the M97

1 minute ago, Pokiou said:

@dan_189 you were selling the 996 GT3 parts on Gumtree at one stage. i was following that post closely but my wife wasnt having a bar of it lol.

Correct :) genuine front bar for a GT3 MK2 and a genuine AeroKit II wing for a Carrera

14 hours ago, Francois said:

The more the merrier :-)

Any idea Pokiou when you wanna do this? Agenda is filling up!

Well the motor arrived, i start leave on the 1st of April. So any day after that im green. How About you ?

I'll be flying around most of April... I can do 1st and 2nd of April and then it pushes back to the 24th or after... sorry...

6 hours ago, Pokiou said:

Well the motor arrived, i start leave on the 1st of April. So any day after that im green. How About you ?

I'll be flying around most of April... I can do 1st and 2nd of April and then it pushes back to the 24th or after... sorry...

1 hour ago, Pokiou said:

i have a single garage thats covered by tight... my tools are limited as during the house move my wife made the mistake of throwing out some tools (sidchrome) out. :(

Hey guys, I'm back! Sorry - had a busy week and didn't get the chance to come down to PFA.

I can come with my tools: torque wrench, ratchets, adapters, sockets, e-torx, extension, wobble extensions, etc. I event have a PIWIS Tester II since Wednesday this week!

What day are we looking at? 

2 minutes ago, Francois said:

Hey guys, I'm back! Sorry - had a busy week and didn't get the chance to come down to PFA.

I can come with my tools: torque wrench, ratchets, adapters, sockets, e-torx, extension, wobble extensions, etc. I event have a PIWIS Tester II since Wednesday this week!

What day are we looking at? 

I can bring some tools too :)

Got a PIWIS II last year, good move!