Project 77 - new build

DHE11

Spend all of the day under and in the car doing final jobs before its first outing, just finished.

Heading out to Willow Springs tomorrow to run it in...

10 minutes ago, LeeM said:

Unfortunately yes, zero parts back up. Cost me $270 to have a small rod made by an engineering shop as the original was too thin to weld. They have beefed it up a bit, yet weren't very complimentary about the original design. 

If anyone has a Hargett, I would check for cracks on the selector rod that attaches to the gear lever

I bought mine “as new” and had never been used. Will let you know after a day at the track tomorrow.....

1 hour ago, DHE11 said:

Did you get the A.I.R. winged rockers as well... saw the hydro go in, then the raised rear suspension mounts!

Ill try and make time to for another look at your car at AMF. My car should be back by December, hopefully!!!

Yup,

the exact same rockers. had never seen them before and then read your thread a spied them on your car as well. Have had mine skinned with carbon as I am trying to get them to tie in with the front lip, so top section red and winged section CF. have raised the shit tunnel as well. Doing all I can to fight the 1970 VW ergonomics :)

Had heard some quality concerns with the Hargett, but nothing that cant be over come. Sounds like you are on to it Lee. 

Best of luck with the shakedown!!

36 minutes ago, LeeM said:

How was it Darien? Looks the business ?

Was great to fire it up and give it a shakedown. New engine ran well and initial suspension set up feels good. Think I’ll be able to run this car softer than my old car and still get the performance.

Initial impressions of LHD, once I was driving I barely noticed....Will probanly be more evident on a familiar circuit with close walls like Bathurst,  and everything is opposite.

• 2 months later...

New year update.... finished the major build phase, did a quick run at Willow Springs and is now awaiting shipping...

Full build thread on Pelican “project 77”

https://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/985164-project-77-new-build.html

1C185C49-EDF3-465B-8A07-310539398D0E.png

3 hours ago, Harvs11 said:

I've just found this build and read the entire Pelican story.  Excellent write up, Darien.  It's a great looking thing and is sure to turn heads.   

The car went on the truck in October,  what's happened between Oct and now?  

Not much....

The guy who is importing my car has his own import/US agent business, and Is bringing back a few old Dodge Chargers and Challengers in the same container. While he was waiting for my car to be finished, he decided to commence a long block rebuild on one of his cars. Now its my turn to wait while his engine is finished !!!

He is a drag racer and has been doing this as a business for years so knows all the ins and outs of importing old cars from the US, and my car is coming direct with his in the same container, so should get the VIP treatment.  

Its worth waiting for.... This build has taught me i have even greater patience than I first thought.

I gave up late 2018 predicting which month it would be ready, but can now safely say which year it will arrive (i hope )

D

On 2 January 2019 at 09:11, DHE11 said:

New year update.... finished the major build phase, did a quick run at Willow Springs and is now awaiting shipping...

Full build thread on Pelican “project 77”

https://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/985164-project-77-new-build.html

1C185C49-EDF3-465B-8A07-310539398D0E.png

Did you wait for that specific time to post this Darien???

On 03/01/2019 at 23:01, PhilH said:

Did you wait for that specific time to post this Darien???

Sort of, now that its 2019 I can confidently say it will arrive this year..... 😉

Actually spoke to the guy doing my import today, and good news is the last car we were waiting on is now finished and heading to the LA warehouse, and all going to plan it should be loaded and on the sea in 3-4 weeks...

I will miss the 1st club Motorsport event at Mallala on 17th Feb, so its first public appearance might end up being the PCSA show and shine on 24th March (not exactly what I had in mind,  so might have to look for a private track day in March)

Then off to Bathurst for Easter ! 😁

• 5 weeks later...
On ‎08‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 20:31, DHE11 said:

Sort of, now that its 2019 I can confidently say it will arrive this year..... 😉

Actually spoke to the guy doing my import today, and good news is the last car we were waiting on is now finished and heading to the LA warehouse, and all going to plan it should be loaded and on the sea in 3-4 weeks...

I will miss the 1st club Motorsport event at Mallala on 17th Feb, so its first public appearance might end up being the PCSA show and shine on 24th March (not exactly what I had in mind,  so might have to look for a private track day in March)

Then off to Bathurst for Easter ! 😁

I think I have a car in the same shipment as you, I don't think late March is going to happen but you might be better at getting things moving than me.

• 1 year later...
On 03/01/2019 at 20:53, DHE11 said:

Not much....

The guy who is importing my car has his own import/US agent business, and Is bringing back a few old Dodge Chargers and Challengers in the same container. While he was waiting for my car to be finished, he decided to commence a long block rebuild on one of his cars. Now its my turn to wait while his engine is finished !!!

He is a drag racer and has been doing this as a business for years so knows all the ins and outs of importing old cars from the US, and my car is coming direct with his in the same container, so should get the VIP treatment.  

Its worth waiting for.... This build has taught me i have even greater patience than I first thought.

I gave up late 2018 predicting which month it would be ready, but can now safely say which year it will arrive (i hope )

D

Hi Darien

Can you share your importers contact?  I’m been pondering 68 Chargers recently...

3 minutes ago, DHE11 said:

Graham Shiell from American Muscle Car Imports.

He drag races a Dodge Challenger and is a good contact for Chargers, he actually brought back two Chargers in the container with my car !

Thank you.