WTB project 914

Thirsty

Hi guys. Just joined. 

I grew up in Canada. When I was 16 I bought a 914 out of my shop teachers barn.

I now live in Australia. Our life situation has just improved to the point, I’d like to re-engage with my first car and first restoration project. 

Will consider options from incomplete and requiring full restoration to completed ready to drive. 

Whats around?

4 minutes ago, ANF said:

Have you looked at the 2 on ebay?  Welcome to the forum!

What part of Canada?

Oh cool. Just had a look at ones on eBay now...thanks (none last time I looks a couple weeks ago, but gotta keep checking)...

wow one is going for $9k or more in a couple of hours with rusted floor pan and door sills. I paid $2k in 1995 for mine and structural rust free.

second one just painted might be a goer. Was thinking of long term dropping a 911 engine in... seen a couple of these in Canada...they are hot  

what does a running complete one go for?

i grew up on the outskirts of Toronto. 

8 minutes ago, Diamond911 said:

better get in quick, as only 1hr left at time of writing :D

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Porsche-914/192437381829?hash=item2cce296ac5:g:yqoAAOSwj1haaX0i

Lol...not a chance...looks like most of the floor Pan is non existent. Which isn’t end of world...but a heap of other questions to ask, before I’m rushed to part with my money ;)

15 minutes ago, Thirsty said:

I paid $2k in 1995 for mine and structural rust free.

I suspect you might need to adjust your price expectations in Australia as everything is more expensive. And the Porsche market has changed significantly in the past 3 or so years (albeit a bit quieter over the past year) let alone compared to 1995.

Welcome to the forum and best of luck with your search. 

9 minutes ago, Diamond911 said:

I suspect you might need to adjust your price expectations in Australia as everything is more expensive. And the Porsche market has changed significantly in the past 3 or so years (albeit a bit quieter over the past year) let alone compared to 1995.

Welcome to the forum and best of luck with your search. 

Thanks and Yeah. I Expect to pay a fair bit more then $2k ? ...I’d snap at $10k for a near complete non runner, sans floor pan and sills - door sills are especially difficult to repair, have to draw the line somewhere. 

5 minutes ago, Troubleshooter said:

Was a few on sale over the last year usually about $20 to $25 plus or minus a bit, for a driver (good and bad)

Perfect. That is in the zone For me for a runner

3 minutes ago, Mike D'Silva said:

Time to import one.. you got some contacts back in Canada? 

Welcome to the tribe.

I was thinking that too, probably work out cheaper and a wider base (better) to choose from......

56 minutes ago, ANF said:

I was thinking that too, probably work out cheaper and a wider base (better) to choose from......

Way more choice. But I suspect that by the time you do shipping and RHD conversion...you’re no better off  

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/trenton-on/1972-porsche-914-1-7-liter/1314310120?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

1 hour ago, Mike D'Silva said:

Time to import one.. you got some contacts back in Canada? 

Welcome to the tribe.

Yes...I know a guy that only restores 914’s, has a wrecking yard of them. Well used to...a lot changes in 12 years since I moved here. We bought lots of parts off him for our project back in the day. 

21 hours ago, Thirsty said:

Hi guys. Just joined. 

I grew up in Canada. When I was 16 I bought a 914 out of my shop teachers barn. I restored it with my brother. He still owns it. 

I now live in Australia. Our life situation has just improved to the point, I’d like to re-engage with my first car and first restoration project. 

Will consider options from incomplete and requiring full restoration to completed ready to drive. 

Whats around?

Try @michel

He's into the 914's and may have something or a lead on one.

12 minutes ago, symsy said:

Skids is sharing insider info,  yes contact @michel  he has one I had to push it off my bloody trailer that he borrowed....

Hang on that’s not quite the full story @symsy ? think it involved a 3-way with me negotiating the buy with the dude in Singapore then taking an angle grinder with me to cut the lock off the trailer.... missed Xmas in July at Nels .. well they have literally a little piece of cheese to me ??

On 30/01/2018 at 3:44 PM, Thirsty said:

Hi guys. Just joined. 

I grew up in Canada. When I was 16 I bought a 914 out of my shop teachers barn. I restored it with my brother. He still owns it. 

Whats around?

Plenty 

but dear sir should this not be in the wanted... 

best also  get your FM status sorted..

for that matter I got to renew mine ?

I know of 5-6 

9 minutes ago, michel said:

Hang on that’s not quite the full story @symsy ? think it involved a 3-way with me negotiating the buy with the dude in Singapore then taking an angle grinder with me to cut the lock off the trailer.... missed Xmas in July at Nels .. well they have literally a little piece of cheese to me ??

Plenty 

I know of 5-6 

Ok I am grateful ... there you go I said it , all that help your provided just so I could help you push that car off with ya .

And let me me not give it a bad rap, I know what the PFA rumour mill and folkore is like  , we did find the pedal board and its aint a half bad looker , remember right after we hunted for the handbrake in the dark  

Angle grinder folks , remember,  it aint locked unless its locked and if your not sure I know someone who can check.. God know why he then walked down the street, found the owneres wife and paid for the bloody thing , you know you cant teach these Aussies how the thieve proper..

32 minutes ago, michel said:

Plenty 

I know of 5-6 

Oh sorry... maybe an admin can move the post. Google brought me into this forum from my searching...I just joined and posted where I was looking at the time...seemed close enough ;)

yes very interested in the 5-6 options you know about. 

Ill look into the FInancial Membership now...since I’m considering purchasing a project car, this group will be handy.

4 hours ago, Thirsty said:

Oh sorry... maybe an admin can move the post. Google brought me into this forum from my searching...I just joined and posted where I was looking at the time...seemed close enough ;)

Ill look into the FInancial Membership now...since I’m considering purchasing a project car, this group will be handy.

Less than half a case of beer for the best advice in town.. the banter is for free.. welcome 

15 hours ago, Thirsty said:

You sir are a gent 

Bent yet to be seen 

On ‎30‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 4:29 PM, Thirsty said:

I grew up on the outskirts of Toronto. 

Sorry, forgot about this, we there a few months ago en-route to Niagara Falls, just a quick in and out, bloody big place! Just happened to be trying to navigate our way out on a Friday afternoon..... failed!! 

We had better luck in Victoria and then on to Calgary on a road trip :)

On 30/01/2018 at 6:25 PM, Airhead said:

RHD conversion not necessary. What state do you live in?

I'm in SA....Looks like if it is LHD I have to keep a logbook etc...also a small safety issue passing etc. 

I'd like the car as a runabout and the occasional track day...we have a Landcrusier for camping and towing (3 kids) and a Subaru Wagon as an around the city family car.

I'd like to drive this whenever I'm without kids...or just dropping one off at dance or whatever...or a nice drive through he hills with the wife

16 hours ago, Thirsty said:

I'm in SA....Looks like if it is LHD I have to keep a logbook etc...also a small safety issue passing etc. 

I'd like the car as a runabout and the occasional track day...we have a Landcrusier for camping and towing (3 kids) and a Subaru Wagon as an around the city family car.

I'd like to drive this whenever I'm without kids...or just dropping one off at dance or whatever...or a nice drive through he hills with the wife

I am in Adelaide and may have a RHD one for you, I will be able to give you more detail in a week or two.

Hi and Welcome,

Great cars but I am very biased! :)

They are out there but the price for a good one has gone up comparatively with the other P marques. I have a friend who has just restored a RHD '72 model in an ivory colour who is looking to move it on- it is however nowhere near $10k!

PM me if interested.

Cheers

Craig

Archived