Extend your IMS Bearing Life

Does it?

Very light on facts and his attempt to get to a root cause fizzled.

He advises changing the engine oil every 6 months or 5000 miles but how does that help the IMS bearing?

He talks about owners taking an interest in their engines by changing the oil themselves and cutting open the filter to inspect but does that really warrant the title of the video and the 15 minutes I will never get back?

The discussion about the failure rate correlation with engine speed doesn't go anywhere either.

I got excited when he started to relate the correlation between failure rates and the different bearing sizes and race speeds but doesn't seem able think that a ball bearing can fail for reasons beyond loading.

More IMS voodoo I'm afraid.  Surely we should expect more from these self promoting and self professed experts?

Trouble with-this sort of stuff is that there are so,so many variables that  anyone can claim anything, and even have what they genuinely believe to be true evidence, and bingo bango someone else’s shits itself after following all the good advice. A crap shoot is a crap shoot and bad design Is bad design. The plain bearing retrofit is the only one I would feel comfortable with, or swap it out every 20 k.

• 5 months later...

I came across a section in a book on the troubles Cosworth were having with keeping the cam train together in the early Ford DFV F1 engines.  What struck me is that you could replace the term "DFV" with "M96" and it would be equally valid.  It is uncanny.

It continually surprises me that no one has seen the similarities and continue to push the bullshit like Raby etal above.  Have a read and see what you think:

HvTytEV.jpg?1 

fri0ucW.jpg?1

uDQVfEX.jpg?1

1niLJC6.jpg?1

I thought the end of paragraph 2 on page 44 was a gem in a field of gold nugget information. 

• 4 weeks later...

A couple of great photos of a failed bearing that Cascone replaced a few weeks ago.

A million extra oil changes or any other pretend preventative "good ideas" put forward by the self proclaimed experts would not have prevented the early fatigue failure of this bearing cage. 

Look how neatly the cage has fatigue cracked and broken around the inner diameter as a result of the balls smashing into the cage hither and thither about a 11tybillion times.  All caused by the highly varying accelerations in the crank and cams that surely Porsche should have been well aware of the probability.  I guess maybe all their durability testing was done at consistently higher engine speeds where these accelerations were likely less pronounced?  

• 9 months later...
2 hours ago, 3legs said:

Yes I watched that and thought yeh fine..................................if I had access to all the tools he had access to.

From memory the costing at the end of the show said the cost of the IMS kit and tools was some USD1700, of which I think 1/2 was for the tools.  Makes the next one cheap though.....