In need of H4 headlight units and amber rear turn signal lenses

autojack

So, having just imported my US 1988 911 to Melbourne, I've discovered a couple of snags on the roadworthy front. One is that the headlights in the car are *not* H4 lights, as I was told at some point, but original US H5 lights. I need to put RHD/left-dipped headlights into the car, and I had bought a set of RHD H4 *lenses* before I left the US. Now today I've come to find that I can't use them because the H5 lights are sealed units. The other issue is that the US cars had red turn signals/indicators on the rear of the car and amber in the front. Victoria requires amber front and rear. It's not clear to me if this requires just a lens change, or the whole unit. I'm just wondering if anyone can offer advice about a possible source of used lights/lenses, or where else I might look to get some. I can order from the same shop in the UK where I got the H4 lenses from if necessary. At the moment the car is still being checked by the guy who is doing the VASS, so it hasn't had a formal roadworthy inspection yet. He just pointed out the indicator issue today, and at the same time I discovered the headlight issue when I went to switch over the lenses.

Thanks in advance!

O/S especially the UK is always an option and often cheaper - usual suspects

Locally in Australia, AutoHaus Hamilton, MasterParts & BWA Auto are a source to call and ask for new parts; you can try APorscheApart in Melbourne but IMHO they struggle to be realistic price wise, but they do carry used parts if thats what you want

Google the above for contact details

Out of curiosity, who are the "usual suspects" overseas/UK? I always bought from Pelican when I lived in CA. I got the H4 lenses from Porsche Shop in the UK, but if there are other places to check I might do that. Also it looks like I will need a wiring harness adapter for the H4 lights, I can get that from Pelican. At which point it might make sense to get the light units from them... But I doubt they will have the amber indicator lenses.

You only need the lenses for the back.  My receipt pile has the same thing in it.

for the h4s I think the reflector and light unit is the same for LHD and rhd - rhd units are more expensive.  I just bought entire units and fitted them in.  You may find it cheaper and easier to buy whole units and sell your spare lenses than to buy all the bits separately.   I think I bought my lights from a uk seller on eBay in the end but the savings were not a huge amount.

Do you have to fit child restraints or does the 88 already have them?

5 hours ago, autojack said:

Out of curiosity, who are the "usual suspects" overseas/UK? I always bought from Pelican when I lived in CA. I got the H4 lenses from Porsche Shop in the UK, but if there are other places to check I might do that. Also it looks like I will need a wiring harness adapter for the H4 lights, I can get that from Pelican. At which point it might make sense to get the light units from them... But I doubt they will have the amber indicator lenses.

Pelican Parts, Sierra Madre, Suncoast Porsche, Autoatlanta, 928sRus, Porscheshop.co.uk, Type911, design911

If I am buying stuff O/S I typically compare price and look at freight and currency status

Reckon I have one half decent rear lenses you can have mate. Will check for cracks and whether it's any good tomorrow arvo and get back to you. Rennspeed.com are usually the cheapest I've found online for a few little bits, yet contact James at Autohaus Hamilton to see what he can do for you

11 hours ago, LeeM said:

Reckon I have one half decent rear lenses you can have mate. Will check for cracks and whether it's any good tomorrow arvo and get back to you. Rennspeed.com are usually the cheapest I've found online for a few little bits, yet contact James at Autohaus Hamilton to see what he can do for you

That would be greatly appreciated if so!

8 hours ago, autojack said:

Lee, did you have a chance to check on the lenses you might have? I expect to have the car done with VASS this week. Fingers crossed, anyway :)

Ugh! I forgot mate. Give me 20 minutes and I'll have a look

Tick tick tick tick

Make that 5 minutes

Got a RH one in decent condition except for a 30mm crack just above the screw hole in the red. 

20180213_195720.jpg

33 minutes ago, LeeM said:

Ugh! I forgot mate. Give me 20 minutes and I'll have a look

Tick tick tick tick

Make that 5 minutes

Got a RH one in decent condition except for a 30mm crack just above the screw hole in the red. 

20180213_195720.jpg

Thanks for checking! That's not so bad! But no left-hand one eh? If I end up needing to buy a new one for the left, I should probably just get two so they match. Let me see what else I can find. I see that Pelican sells them with black trim or silver. Am I judging right from the photo that yours is silver?

13 minutes ago, LeeM said:

Black surround. Just faded mate. I did mention above I had one ?

You'd be better off grabbing 2 new ones if getting an inspection in my opinion ?

Ah I see, you said you had "one rear lenses," I assumed you meant a set of lenses! All good, I'm already going to have to order some other bits from Pelican for the headlights, so adding these to the box is no big deal. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived