How did your love of Porsches begin?

Grinner

My Mum is responsible. 

She is a car nut.

As a young boy she told me this story about borrowing her boss’s 911 for the weekend.  I’m tipping that he didn’t know she was going to enter an ADAC (German equivalent of the RACV I think) navigation rally ...

Anyway, she won it and had the gold medallion to show for it.

Then, aged 15 I was out on a customer visit one Saturday with my Mum and she stopped at a servo for fuel.  I wasn’t very interested in sitting in the car on my own so she bought me a car magazine.  On the cover of Modern Motor was a photo of white 930 Turbo shot from above with the doors open.  I remember reading the article and being enthralled.

Since then it was all things motoring for me and in the late 90’s when I’d paid enough off the mortgage and worked out I could get an 85 Carrera for the same money as a reasonable 3 series, I went to Hamiltons and saw one in white.

Next thing I know, I’d paid the loot over and stalled it 3 times trying to master the over centre clutch engagement.  

Have been a frequent flyer ever since.

PS - Mum gave me her winning medal many years later when I had a big win.  I’ve got a lot of tin ware but thats still my favorite.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me, it started from an early age as well though I gravitated toward aussie muscle through my teens as most of my older family had Torana's, Monaros and of course the enemy at the time being the Ford XW and XY's. 

Back in the early 90's when I thought I was cool in my VN SS, a neighbor who owned a panel shop at the time turned up at home in a red 930. I even remember the rego TP930. Took me for a drive on the then newly built ring road and was blown away by the acceleration and speed. Now being around some very fast muscle cars at the time this was somewhat a very different fast and I loved it.

Fast track to now I now own a 74 SLR 5000 and a 79 930.

My perfect garage. 

3 hours ago, Skidmarks said:

My Mum is responsible. 

She is a car nut.

As a young boy she told me this story about borrowing her boss’s 911 for the weekend.  I’m tipping that he didn’t know she was going to enter an ADAC (German equivalent of the RACV I think) navigation rally ...

Anyway, she won it and had the gold medallion to show for it

That's a damn cool story! ?

3 hours ago, GregAx said:

For me, it started from an early age as well though I gravitated toward aussie muscle through my teens as most of my older family had Torana's, Monaros and of course the enemy at the time being the Ford XW and XY's. 

Back in the early 90's when I thought I was cool in my VN SS, a neighbor who owned a panel shop at the time turned up at home in a red 930. I even remember the rego TP930. Took me for a drive on the then newly built ring road and was blown away by the acceleration and speed. Now being around some very fast muscle cars at the time this was somewhat a very different fast and I loved it.

Fast track to now I now own a 74 SLR 5000 and a 79 930.

My perfect garage. 

And a pretty valuable one at that.  Great job :rolleyes:

I made a Motza selling electronics to Porsche for the 996-997 Cup Cars. Was walking past the dealer and decided I can now afford one. Never looked back as the previous 20 years has shown me they were the best engineered sports cars out there. 

38 minutes ago, Redracn said:

I made a Motza selling electronics to Porsche for the 996-997 Cup Cars. Was walking past the dealer and decided I can now afford one. Never looked back as the previous 20 years has shown me they were the best engineered sports cars out there. 

What electronics did you sell to Porsche Motorsport?

I will admit to not thinking much of Porsche prior to driving one, I was always into Aussie muscle cars. For me it’s been a very quick progression, I had a mates 911 stored in my garage for a few months while he was OS. I was told to drive the car occasionally. I had never driven a car that screamed “what are you doing” are you going to drive me or what.

So it began, the very next 911 I was introduced to was @Kerry‘s 964 RS after been taken for a short drive I was then well and truly hooked. My first 911 had to be a 964, I loved that 964 until I drove @symsy 997 GT3 which was just a whole new world for me. Then came boost, while on the hunt for a 996 GT3 I decided to test drive a local 996 Turbo that popped up for sale. Boost for me is a very potent drug, even more so when combined with a 911. Literally one taste and I was hooked and didn’t see the value in a GT3 anymore.

My Porsche love story started with the Carrera GT. It came out when I was a kid, and I thought it was the coolest looking car I'd ever seen.

I had the CGT poster on my bedroom wall...now a decade later that same poster hangs in the engine building..errr living room.

3jOWuTY.jpg

11 hours ago, Timm said:

My Porsche love story started with the Carrera GT. It came out when I was a kid, and I thought it was the coolest looking car I'd ever seen.

I had the CGT poster on my bedroom wall...now a decade later that same poster hangs in the engine building..errr living room.

3jOWuTY.jpg

Cool living room Timm -- living the dream! :Passusabeer:... not a vase or ornament in sight!

It's embarassing, but I'll admit it - Tom Cruise in Risky Business...

Tried hard to think of the first instance of interest, and it's the most likely reason Porsche piqued my interest...never realised it until contemplating on it after reading this thread.

Wish I had a better story to tell my kid if he contracts this same affliction... oh the shame

Hey Slip, don't be embarrassed (even though it was a 928:ph34r: hhahah) He's made some great films, and had a nice set of pins in the loungeroom in his socks. It's often cars in movies that pique our interest, and who knows where that leads, your son will have your Pcar firmly entrenched in his childhood ... Last I heard Tom was flying to Xenu with Elon Musk in the Tesla:Chuckle2:

2 hours ago, slipangle said:

Tried hard to think of the first instance of interest, and it's the most likely reason Porsche piqued my interest...never realised it until contemplating on it after reading this thread.

Wish I had a better story to tell my kid if he contracts this same affliction... oh the shame

Nothing wrong with that. I used to have a W126 S Class because all the bad guys from the Hollywood movies in the 80's had one, eg Lethal Weapon 11, Beverly Hills Cop and many others.

2 hours ago, Troubleshooter said:

.. Last I heard Tom was flying to Xenu with Elon Musk in the Tesla:Chuckle2:

To have a chat with L Ron Hubbard on his spaceship no doubt ?

3 hours ago, slipangle said:

That's ok mate. You and Adam (ANF) can talk all you want. Just do it in private please ??

13 minutes ago, LeeM said:

That's ok mate. You and Adam (ANF) can talk all you want. Just do it in private please ??

Oi! Careful there, Tom Cruise is a total tosser, but any publicity is good publicity.... :D

15 hours ago, Timm said:

3jOWuTY.jpg

Guessing you may be single there Timm?? :cool07:

5 minutes ago, ANF said:

Guessing you may be single there Timm?? :cool07:

Are you coming on to me?!  :Chuckle2:

Haha, nah my GF at the time didn't seem to mind...at least I was spending time in the house and not in the shed  ;)

1 minute ago, Timm said:

Are you coming on to me?!  :Chuckle2:

Haha, nah my GF at the time didn't seem to mind...at least I was spending time in the house and not in the shed  ;)

Hmmm, tempting ......... :lol:

That's one way to put a positive spin on it..!!

So - after the back story of my introduction to Porsche, now the conversion to ownership. So I had decided at the age of 17 my first Porsche would be a 928.

On a Friday evening in a taxi coming home in a taxi from the airport after a week in Sydney on business - approx 1998. Driving through Newstead in Brisbane - there it was - a 1987 928 S4, can’t remember the colour but it was light blue with white interior. Went home that night and decided I was working hard and it was time. My old man always said if you work hard, try to reward yourself along the way.

Went to the dealer the next day and bought it, had 20,000 something ks on it and was pretty clean. It was love.

Left it mostly stock, except (can’t help myself) lowered it and revalved shocks to match springs - understeer gone. Fitted cup 2 wheels and gripier rubber, killer hifi and auto trans bypass / kickdown  mod.

Detailed it to death, babied it for 3 years and hardly used it - did about 10,000 ks and sold it. Realised after I should have used it more - next owner got a great car.

Have used every P car as intended since, still looked after all of them though.  Been a 911 guy ever since, the lighter and more powerful the better ?

Archived