Anyone got a 968 for sale and current values?

Just wondered if anyone with a 968 was interested in selling it in the near future,and just wondered what is a realistic price on a manual at the moment?I know 2 are for sale on carsales one of which in my opinion is way off the mark in asking price.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dunno! For a decent manual I would have thought somewhere in the $40's but pickings are pretty slim at the moment......

No Clubsports have come up for sale for 6 months or so - it's going to be interesting to see where the next one is pitched, price wise. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, bear924 said:

Noticed this one is the PCQ magazine yesterday. Seems like it's well priced compared to some on cs.

http://www.porsche-qld.org.au/PorscheClubs/pc_queensland/pc_main.nsf/web/E84C0B5CDA30CBEBC12581E50006A33A#pagetop

This one has now been sold I spoke to the owner the day the new owner had just picked it up,sounded like it was a good honest car.

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, Fishcop said:

I note the only 968s on Carsales (apart from the ClubSport priced manual) are autos... Were the auto 968s any good, or were they "Like a supermodel without a vagina" to quote the 944 auto thread?

The 968 autos are absolutely nothing like the 944 autos ...

They go hard and with the tiptronic used, they can be driven like a manual ...

The only downfall to them is that the transmission is a sealed unit and can't be worked on .... they are a throwaway unit.

If you get in touch with @jakroo he can help shed some light ... he bought one a few months ago.

44 minutes ago, Dreamr said:

The 968 autos are absolutely nothing like the 944 autos ...

They go hard and with the tiptronic used, they can be driven like a manual ...

The only downfall to them is that the transmission is a sealed unit and can't be worked on .... they are a throwaway unit.

If you get in touch with @jakroo he can help shed some light ... he bought one a few months ago.

Thanks Dreamr, good to know.  Ideally I'm a manual buyer, but only just starting to do the research ;) 

3 minutes ago, Fishcop said:

Thanks Dreamr, good to know.  Ideally I'm a manual buyer, but only just starting to do the research ;) 

I'm hearing you on the manual part but you will find they are very few and far between .... they are the unicorn of the 928 / 968 world.

I think you'll have to seek one out in the more unconventional places .... privately, word of mouth, mechanic workshops, etc.

Good luck with the search and keep us updated ....

One has to remember that in the late 80's and early 90's, the majority of Porsches sold were to the 'successful executive' who drove the thing 10 or so kms to work and back in heavy traffic.  They didn't want to have to constantly shift gears and use a clutch.... Hence the auto box. Even the super car 928 is almost always an auto for the very same reason.

In relation to my water cooled, front engined, automatic transmission car (which by many accounts of this forum  is the same as a Toyota Camry), I like the fact that I can choose to drive it like a semi auto ie change and select a gear without a clutch (no different to the modern day PDK), or I can leave it in full auto mode.

Could I flog it, spin it up and drop the clutch repeatedly (so to speak)? No.

Could I take it out for a spirited drive? Yes.

Do I take it out and give it a good run?

Yes :Evil:

We’re not talking new cars, basically the same engine, for me it has to be a manual all the way.

I like the feeling of changing the gears, reving the engine, riding the clutch and changing down into second in some nice twisties whilst punching out of the corners.

Maybe auto is a good choice for new models, but surely you consider the older cars for the feeling and there is no better feeling than a manual 80’s icon :CoolDance:.

Archived