All things insurance

grantmr

I see there's a forum topic for insurance, but it's empty. I was wondering if there's been a "which insurance/company is best" thread, could someone point me to it if they know of it?

Soo... which insurance is best? Who do you recommend?

One thing I've been wondering about - what do you do when you're not at fault, but have better insurance than the person who hit you?

I wasn't able to create a new post in the insurance topic... I don't know why.

Really need to read the PDS as they have all recently changed.

Racv after all these years don't mention that you now don't have choice of repairer unless you pay an extra $100 premium!!!

A lot don't have true choice of repairer. IE their policy will say something along the lines of you have choice of repairer unless we deem the quote too expensive than we will get a 2nd quote from "our repairer" They then cash settle you on that amount and say go out and pay for your own repairs.

I wouldn't recommend any insurance company under the Suncorp or IAG brands.

If you are not at fault you are always better going through a panel shop that deals in doing 3rd party recovery of the other parties insurance. What that means is an independent assessor is used to assess the damage and quote. They are not so much worried about the cost side of things, rather make sure the car is getting repaired properly. New parts are authorised straight away. When going through your own insurance, they all stipulate that as soon as it is out of warranty, used and recondition parts will be used. I classify a car 3 years old still a new car. Insurance don't!

I would recommend Zurich, Famous, Eric, Allianz and QBE. Their is a couple of small other companies that are ok as well.

Qbe you have to be carefull though as they have various policy's.  

A broker is a good option as well as they find a policy that suits you and if there is any problems they sort the insurance company out straight away. Insurance companies hate brokers.

Disclaimer i have my own panel shops and deal with a wide range of insurance companies day in day out.

Hope that helps.

29 minutes ago, scashin said:

I found Shannons crazy expensive

RACV offer agreed value 1/3 their worth

Porsche are too arrogant to call you and just email to say call us

Lumley special vehicles seem decent

Agreed Shannons is exy.  I went with RYNO Insurance.  My 944 is $60 per month for 27k atm.  Your choice of repairer & if it's written off you get the carcass. 

28 minutes ago, Jason E said:

Agreed Shannons is exy.  I went with RYNO Insurance.  My 944 is $60 per month for 27k atm.  Your choice of repairer & if it's written off you get the carcass. 

You must be the crappest and riskiest driver in Australia!!! :LOL:

I am also insured with Ryno ... 2 cars, $120k split between the 2 and probably pay the same premium ....

To be fair (take it while you can) they are on historic rego

Still .... they must like me more than you!! :P

9 minutes ago, Dreamr said:

I am also insured with Ryno ... 2 cars, $120k split between the 2 and probably pay the same premium ....

To be fair (take it while you can) they are on historic rego

Still .... they must like me more than you!! :P

I think the difference is mine's a 70k per day daily driver.  Nobody likes you more than me my friend:wub:.

Great and poignant topic for me right now. I currently have my 1970 2.2s with RACV Vintage but 3 day cars with Shannons. They asked to take over the Porsche but the premium is $1,000 pa more, although the excess is half. They are both prepared to agree to the same value. Ultimately I want to make sure I can fix it properly if something does go wrong. Can anyone recommend a good classic car broker? I might try Lumley and Porsche too...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Jason E said:

Agreed Shannons is exy.  I went with RYNO Insurance.  My 944 is $60 per month for 27k atm. 

You must be a youngen, as mine on the 911 is $48/m on $70k with Shannons. That will change to half that when I get it on club rego

Asked around a few companies, but Shannons were the best deal

Im with Shannons, $550 pa for $100k cover which is very good, not on historic yet (car must be 35 years old). Ive also just had an incident that did not involve anyone else so I guess that makes it my fault. The car requires about $40k in repairs which has been authorised, all new parts where specified, my choice of repairer (even changed my mind after the car was delivered to another repairer, Shannons paid for the car to be re-located). Ive had to pay a $300 excess which is cheap. Unfortunately it took a month to go through the quoting and getting the authorisation and now a 6 week wait to get the car back.

It appears that there is a hurdle with which assessor you get landed with, the one that assessed my car was very reasonable (ex panel beater).

My premium will change after this as I will go to a rating 2 driver which will cost me a 10% premium ($55) per year.

Very happy with Shannons. My car is being sorted by RSR Motorsport (Mark Poole)

I JUST WANT MY CAR BACK 

Shannons too, and they have been great to deal with, especially when my last car was a total loss. How the company is when making a claim is quite important, they paid out on agreed value (even though this was way above market value).

There now appears to be a lot of insurance threads about, all pretty much saying the same thing..... :blink:

Ok thanks chaps, good info and it seems that Shannons comes well-recommended.

Does anybody know what happens if you get into an accident (not at fault) and the other person's insurance is crap? Do you just suck it up and pay the excess to use your company or is there some work-around where you can use your insurance without paying the excess?

7 hours ago, grantmr said:

Ok thanks chaps, good info and it seems that Shannons comes well-recommended.

Does anybody know what happens if you get into an accident (not at fault) and the other person's insurance is crap? Do you just suck it up and pay the excess to use your company or is there some work-around where you can use your insurance without paying the excess?

Two things here.

If you are claiming of the other parties insurance, you normally would go to a quality panel shop that will handle all the recovery process. You don't actually deal with there insurance till the end when they come to inspect the finished vehicle. 

I use a recovery agent that will send a letter of demand to the at fault insurer. Once we receive in writing liability admitted, we appoint an independent assessor who will assess my quote and vehicle. The independent assessor isn't worried so much about cost but rather that the vehicle is returned back to pre-accident condition ie new parts used and correct paint process used. We then carry out repairs and take a photo's of the whole process to prove the work has been carried out. We send all the photos along with the assessed quote for the other parties insurance company to pay. If they refuse to pay or short fall their offer to much we will take them to court to recover monies owing. None of that is at no cost to owner. We also get a hire car covered by the other party for the duration of repairs at no cost to our customer.

Some people prefer to just lodge their claim with their own insurance, your's being Shannons (owned by suncorp). You shouldn't have to pay an excess if you can provide details of the at fault. Suncorp have started charging their own customers the excess even though not at fault and say "if we can recover the money we will rebate your excess" Does the money ever get rebated? I can't answer that.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately I am putting Shannons to the test again as some idiot crashed into my Merc on Wednesday...... still to be determined whether it will be repaired or a write off..... so far been good to deal with.... just want a resolution now!

On 3/2/2018 at 2:05 PM, ANF said:

Unfortunately I am putting Shannons to the test again as some idiot crashed into my Merc on Wednesday...... still to be determined whether it will be repaired or a write off..... so far been good to deal with.... just want a resolution now!

After I had my little off road excursion it took 2 weeks to quote the repair then a further 2 weeks to get the all clear by Shannons. The initial 2 weeks was partly due to a slow response by Porsche Centre for my parts (84 Carrera) the second 2 weeks comprised of the assessor going over the figures, then as it was over his pay grade, bumped up to the next inline, being over that persons pay grade up it went again (all taking time) the final person was away on business for a couple of days. Now I am waiting for the parts to come from over seas.

On ‎3‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 5:58 PM, AndrewW said:

After I had my little off road excursion it took 2 weeks to quote the repair then a further 2 weeks to get the all clear by Shannons. The initial 2 weeks was partly due to a slow response by Porsche Centre for my parts (84 Carrera) the second 2 weeks comprised of the assessor going over the figures, then as it was over his pay grade, bumped up to the next inline, being over that persons pay grade up it went again (all taking time) the final person was away on business for a couple of days. Now I am waiting for the parts to come from over seas.

My car was written off on Tuesday (well over $40k in repairs, can't quite get my head around that....) so hopefully will have money in next couple of days. Shopping for new car now.....

8 minutes ago, dan_189 said:

@ANF Sorry to hear about your car whats on the shopping list?

I'm with MB Group through Porsche insurance, limited kms to 5,000 per year which is all I need.

They have been good to deal with.

Thanks Dan,

Same or very similar to what I had MB ML 350, hopefully know more soon :)

Went with LSV - Lumley Special Vehicle Insurance - $1366 premium with $1400 excess for 911 997.2 S - Choice of repairer, NCB protected, over 40, no track

Shannons, NRMA, Budget Direct - around $2400-2500 premium with $1400-$2000 excess

Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/19/2018 at 7:53 PM, Dreamr said:

Ummmm.....nah.....that would be me!

After a little "issue" with my license... most insurers wouldn't go near me, or wanted a kings ransom - on a $13500 Boxster!

Even Ryno, who I were previously with with my 911, were going to put heaps on a premium.

in the end Famous were really cool about it, and pricing very reasonable.

Best bit, add a $100 bucks per event for $10,000 cover for track days!