grantmr

All things insurance

57 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Just going through a claim with Shannons at the moment.  All good so far, no issues when repairer wanted to replace the centre radiator when he pulled everything off the car.  Hopefully car ready for pickup tomorrow.  This one my fault (only accident I've ever had where I hit someone else in 40 years of driving....), hopefully premium increase won't be too bad next year - $10500k + repair 😞

Sorry to hear! Hope you're alright. Which car? Assuming 996 as your manual boxster wouldn't have a 3rd rad but the tip would? All good if you're not keen on discussing. 

59 minutes ago, dan_189 said:

Sorry to hear! Hope you're alright. Which car? Assuming 996 as your manual boxster wouldn't have a 3rd rad but the tip would? All good if you're not keen on discussing. 

No probs Dan, just a little roundabout oops - new bumper, bonnet  LH Headlight unit ($2100 would you believe!!) + now the radiator + a few other clips etc.  ABS failure light had come on earlier that morning as I left a servo after a fillup, brakes tested OK, but looks like there may have been a problem, as I'd almost stopped and then it was if I'd hit a patch of ice, and ran into the back of car in front (who had stopped early for another car rather than keeping going as I had anticipated, I was stopping for the other car - my bad....).  Only good thing is I have arranged to keep the old headlight (minor chip out of one corner), centre radiator (crushed fins in a small area) and bonnet crest.

Interesting though, talking to my mechanic yesterday about it, he said he had heard similar circumstances called "Porsche Ice Pedal", although he hadn't heard of it happening to a 996.  He was aware of an identical description of circumstances from one of his Targa Tasmania Cayman customers, with the driver saying he had to take his foot off the brake and re-apply and it went away.  He's just spent 4 days doing measurements and calibrations for a custom ABS system for that car.

Anyway, when I get the car back he's going to do my oil change and check it all out.

Well good to hear you're alright, it was minor and you got to keep some bits. I remember you inquiring about the under bonnet sticker, if you can get the old bonnet back duck off to bunnings and get some un-do it sticker removal fluid and give that a shot :)

Also was the brake fluid fresh? The manual calls for it to be flushed every two years.

On 5/18/2018 at 1:46 PM, dan_189 said:

Well good to hear you're alright, it was minor and you got to keep some bits. I remember you inquiring about the under bonnet sticker, if you can get the old bonnet back duck off to bunnings and get some un-do it sticker removal fluid and give that a shot :)

Also was the brake fluid fresh? The manual calls for it to be flushed every two years.

Apparently new under bonnet decals can be obtained from Germany, so we have 2 on the way, extra one to go in service book which was a replacement.  Picked up car friday 5 mins before body shop closed.  Shithouse bonnet fit and paint issues so it's going back!!!  Will check on brakes and probably change fluids

8 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Apparently new under bonnet decals can be obtained from Germany, so we have 2 on the way, extra one to go in service book which was a replacement.  Picked up car friday 5 mins before body shop closed.  Shithouse bonnet fit and paint issues so it's going back!!!  Will check on brakes and probably change fluids

Niiiice, were the stickers ordered through the dealership? 

3 hours ago, dan_189 said:

Niiiice, were the stickers ordered through the dealership? 

Suspect so, Bodyworks was organising it

Does anyone have the Porsche Tyre and RIm insurance?

Has it been worth it? How easy/difficult has it been to claim on it?