All things insurance

grantmr

3 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

I know this question has been asked before but I am seeking insurance advice.  My car is insured through APIA.  I called them today to ask what would happen if I had a bingle, would they allow me to take it to a Porsche Authorised Repairer?  Bottom line no.  I would have to go to their repairer "Capital Smart". 

I am not happy about this so I am thinking of changing insurers mid term and cancelling my APIA cover.  I see Shannons are part of the same Capital Smart program as well so forget recommending them.

Ok recommendations please.  I want Agreed Value, Choice of Repairer and Windscreen Cover.  Limited milage discount would be good too.

Has anyone used Porsche Insurance?  Were they reasonable in price?

Why are you discounting Shannons? Definitely have choice of repairer with them!

25 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

I know this question has been asked before but I am seeking insurance advice.  My car is insured through APIA.  I called them today to ask what would happen if I had a bingle, would they allow me to take it to a Porsche Authorised Repairer?  Bottom line no.  I would have to go to their repairer "Capital Smart". 

I am not happy about this so I am thinking of changing insurers mid term and cancelling my APIA cover.  I see Shannons are part of the same Capital Smart program as well so forget recommending them.

Ok recommendations please.  I want Agreed Value, Choice of Repairer and Windscreen Cover.  Limited milage discount would be good too.

Always happy to provide my feedback on insurance. Was with Shannons for a few years at about $6k a year on various cars. Moved to Famous recently, higher agreed value, better customer service and save about $2k a year. Famous also doesn't have limited mileage whereas Shannons does. Their reasoning is, yes I have 6 cars but only 1 driver can drive a car at any one time. However, the true test is claiming, which I hope I never have to go through.

35 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

I use Porsche insurance - they are based in Port Melbourne. I'm insured with MB group - agreed value but limited kms. 

Have been very happy with them - hopefully the only interactions I have are renewals... 😏 

49 minutes ago, dan_189 said:

I use Porsche insurance - they are based in Port Melbourne. I'm insured with MB group - agreed value but limited kms. 

Have been very happy with them - hopefully the only interactions I have are renewals... 😏 

Likewise

1 hour ago, dan_189 said:

Me too, I have voluntarily limited the klmns to 8,000 per year but if you do go over they just charge you an extra premium. I did the ring around this year again & MB ( Porsche Insurance) still the best for me. I have also claimed windscreens on 2 cars so far, replaced without question under insurance, cost just over $2K each, fitted by PCW with genuine Porsche screens.

I am with Porsche Insurance also - like @GC9911, I have the 8,000km pa limit which is fine for my purposes as the car is not a daily driver - just received my renewal for the 3rd year and annual premium increases have been modest (no claims) - the only negative is lack of track day insurance that I know some others (e.g. Famous) offer.

Hey Phil

I have my hotrod with RYNO. Havent had to claim yet but they were very professional, have an agreed value, their underwriter is lloyds, free choice of repairer and for my old car (as they are easy to fix they say and most parts are available world wide).. they were damn cheap. I have the boxster with them as well, a double deal, very well priced, around 1200+  for the 2.

1 hour ago, GC9911 said:

Me too, I have voluntarily limited the klmns to 8,000 per year but if you do go over they just charge you an extra premium. I did the ring around this year again & MB ( Porsche Insurance) still the best for me. I have also claimed windscreens on 2 cars so far, replaced without question under insurance, cost just over $2K each, fitted by PCW with genuine Porsche screens.

@dan_189 are you both saying that MB Insurance (QBE are the underwriters for them) are the Porsche insurers as well and that they do offer agreed klms?   I had my MB insured with them until last year but now that the car is 4 years old the premium was too much and agreed value dropped substantially.  Used to be new for old up to 3 years, now my Benz is valued by them at $44,000 (not real good).  APIA insure for $64000 and premium $100 less and less XS.

I will get a quote on the Porsche from Porsche Insurance though just to get a comparative quote

34 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

@dan_189 are you both saying that MB Insurance (QBE are the underwriters for them) are the Porsche insurers as well and that they do offer agreed klms?   I had my MB insured with them until last year but now that the car is 4 years old the premium was too much and agreed value dropped substantially.  Used to be new for old up to 3 years, now my Benz is valued by them at $44,000 (not real good).  APIA insure for $64000 and premium $100 less and less XS.

I will get a quote on the Porsche from Porsche Insurance though just to get a comparative quote

"Porsche Insurance" is the official insurance broker of Porsche Cars Australia. MB is who I am insured with through Porsche insurance with an agreed value and a limited kms policy. They also use Dawes who use a "no more than twice a month usage". Not sure how they enforce that. With MB I have to declare my odometer.

The advantage is Porsche insurance get all the quotes  - you just provide the details and the cash...

16 hours ago, dan_189 said:

"Porsche Insurance" is the official insurance broker of Porsche Cars Australia. MB is who I am insured with through Porsche insurance with an agreed value and a limited kms policy. They also use Dawes who use a "no more than twice a month usage". Not sure how they enforce that. With MB I have to declare my odometer.

The advantage is Porsche insurance get all the quotes  - you just provide the details and the cash...

17 hours ago, nytelfer said:

@Philbee - for clarification, MB Insurance is not associated with Mercedes Benz.

Thanks everyone, I have taken out two policies on both cars thru MB Insurance.  Very competitive quotes and they cover everything I needed (plus more) with choice of repairer and agreed value.  Excess is good too.  Now to cancel both APIA policies 😀

• 2 weeks later...

I broke the rear window in my van yesterday onsite (ugh!) and called Allianz at 9am. They transferred me to Obrien glass who sorted it out and had the installer come to site and fit a new one within 4 hours. 

Now THAT is service! 

I've been with Allianz for years, and have made claims for when a tree fell on our house which was sorted within days and paid out. Had a hernia operation and didnt think their personal injury policy would cover me, yet after a month I called them after the missus insistence (she used to work for Allianz) and they said yep no problem, had a bloke come out to check me out after the operation (the massive bruise and unable to walk kinda told him I wasnt bullshitting) and they backdated payments to the day it was diagnosed and given a lump sum, and I always had regular payments for 4 months without question. Broke the front window of the van when a rock flicked up from a truck, sorted within a day. Now yesterdays breakage (my fault) and it didnt cost me a cent with a free windscreen per year. 

Big props to both Allianz and Obrien glass 👍

10 minutes ago, Arnage said:

Nice to hear positive comments for an insurance company.

Always been happy with Allianz mate. Highly recommended from my experience.

I've heard of other horror stories, yet the missus (who was the executive assistant to the Allianz big boss) tells me that most of the time they're from unrealistic people who just like to make mountains out of molehills about the smaller details, or false claims that get uncovered pretty quickly after an investigation.

• 10 months later...

That time of the year again. Quotes for 997.2 Carrera S; $135k, over 40, garaged, unblemished history, agreed value, choice of repairer, free windscreen cover.

Lumley - $1,200 with $1900 excess

Porsche Australia (MB) - $2,300 with $2,000 excess

Famous - $4,600 with $900 excess

Lumley is working out for me once again. Hope this helps.

3 hours ago, Sarn said:

That time of the year again. Quotes for 997.2 Carrera S; $135k, over 40, garaged, unblemished history, agreed value, choice of repairer, free windscreen cover.

Lumley is working out for me once again. Hope this helps.

Did you try Ryno?

MB for me. 8000km limited travel. Good value with a reasonable excess. 

I do need to call every year though and "renegotiate" the agreed value as they tend to drop it. 

Apart from that they are great yo deal with. 

4 minutes ago, T-Man said:

MB for me. 8000km limited travel. Good value with a reasonable excess. 

I do need to call every year though and "renegotiate" the agreed value as they tend to drop it. 

Apart from that they are great yo deal with. 

I am on a similar deal with Ryno.  Loosely up to 8k kilometres per year, good excess etc & yes every year you've got to do the negotiation dance.  Painful but worth the savings.

On ‎02‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 19:52, Jason E said:

Did you try Ryno?

I've placed a call with Ryno and expecting a call back tomorrow. Will let you know. Interestingly, Ryno are a Broker now (since October last year). Consultant mentioned that they would be contacting Doors? affiliated with Alliance for a quote. Can't hurt to get a quote.

15 hours ago, Sarn said:

I've placed a call with Ryno and expecting a call back tomorrow. Will let you know. Interestingly, Ryno are a Broker now (since October last year). Consultant mentioned that they would be contacting Doors? affiliated with Alliance for a quote. Can't hurt to get a quote.

I saw that this change had occurred recently.  I rang all the usual suspects when my Insurance on the S2 was due.  Ryno was still the best overall for my car.  

5 hours ago, Jason E said:

I saw that this change had occurred recently.  I rang all the usual suspects when my Insurance on the S2 was due.  Ryno was still the best overall for my car.  

Ryno - $2,423 with ?? excess - received text with quote - didnt call them back to ask excess.

Either way, Lumley worked out for me again this year.

15 minutes ago, williamsf1 said:

Anyone gone and got seperate track day or tarmac rally coverage?

Keen to hear what people are doing for this?

Understand that Famous is the only one to offer this, as part of their link up with Motorsport Aust.  I used to have the cover on a LHD GT3 which wasn't registered, and the available cover was $100 for $10k, but it had to be a CAMS / MA sanctioned event (I think!!) and there may well have been a limit on the number of events you could do.  Interestingly they told me they couldn't cover me if I got the car registered....

Others may be able to comment re availability of road rally coverage

Confirming the Famous event cover.  Famous also offer storage cover at good rates if it's not a road registered vehicle (if you go in that direction).  I've found them very pleasant to deal with.