Home Built Project Beetle

MFX

I am glutton for punishment, and I have done it again. I have just picked up ANOTHER project car!! 

I have decided to build some short term projects alongside my long term ones. These will be slightly more simple, rolling resto's. Tidy them up, and drive them for a while and them move them on and experience something else.

So that brings me to this project. I have just bought myself a 1971 Super Bug. I have very little experience with Beetles, but I am keen to learn (and it is aircooled of course ;) ).

It should be fun, and I am looking forward to watching it all come together to match the picture in my head. 

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, MFX said:

I am glutton for punishment, and I have done it again. I have just picked up ANOTHER project car!! 

I have decided to build some short term projects alongside my long term ones. These will be slightly more simple, rolling resto's. Tidy them up, and drive them for a while and them move them on and experience something else.

So that brings me to this project. I have just bought myself a 1971 Super Bug. 

I think most A/C Porsche lovers would appreciate how cool the bugs are, nice move, look forward to seeing the progress.

I think you’re going to need a bigger shed!

Check the C pillars for signs of rust.  Common in bugs with the c pillar vents because the factory filled the pillar with poly urethane, which absorbed and held moisture in the pillar. May have already been repaired.

Parcel shelf is not standard and covers the rear boot / storage area.  Rear seat backrest folds down.

9 hours ago, LeeM said:

There's a derogatory name for post 67 beetles in VW land, buy I shall refrain from saying what it is. Those who know, know ?

Have fun anyway mate

Ooh, no you have me intrigued?

8 hours ago, OZ930 said:

Check the C pillars for signs of rust.  Common in bugs with the c pillar vents because the factory filled the pillar with poly urethane, which absorbed and held moisture in the pillar. May have already been repaired.

Parcel shelf is not standard and covers the rear boot / storage area.  Rear seat backrest folds down.

I did have a look at the C pillar (my brother has one with a huge hole there) and it feels pretty solid and doesn't look like it has been bogged. I will have to have a further look in the back to see what is going on in there.

8 hours ago, Mike D'Silva said:

Are you going to finish this one?

Yes. Don't I always.... oh wait. :P

@MFX Its not that bad, but to be politicaly correct in these sensitive times of being wrapped in cotton wool, I'll send you a message.

I've had a lowered 63 which started me on VW's, then followed by a 56, 58 (probably the best car I've ever owned), 61 Karmann Ghia then a splitty bus. Then ofcourse onto being poor and owning an old 911 ?

I'd still love an old Oval

4 hours ago, Ozvino said:

You have 3 old cars (at home) in various stages of completion, you bring an old beetle home on a trailer and your wife says great work.....

amazing.....

I know!! I have definitely done far better than I deserve in the wife department. 

1 hour ago, MFX said:

Come on! I did say this was supposed to be a short term project :Chuckle2:

??

'The pregnant lady'? Hmmm, don't think I told you that one! ?

Stone grey over white is my pick. Will tag you on Instagram with my 58

I thought the best way to tackle my hot starting issues with the Beetle was to start by giving it a full service. So first up it is valves and timing.

Archived