Home Built Project Beetle

MFX

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So after watching the latest datsun vid it popped the mighty car mod guys which I haven't watched in a while...and they are doing a 240z.  

But they had to take out the drivetrain to bring it back to Aus because of asbestos??  Or was that a convenient excuse to dump in an RB26?

37 minutes ago, Coastr said:

So after watching the latest datsun vid it popped the mighty car mod guys which I haven't watched in a while...and they are doing a 240z.  

But they had to take out the drivetrain to bring it back to Aus because of asbestos??  Or was that a convenient excuse to dump in an RB26?

No. customs is screwing everyone with the asbestos bullshit right now, and things were very uncertain when the boys tried to bring the Z across.

not that I'd have kept the anemic L20 anyway..

37 minutes ago, clutch-monkey said:

No. customs is screwing everyone with the asbestos bullshit right now, and things were very uncertain when the boys tried to bring the Z across.

not that I'd have kept the anemic L20 anyway..

L24?

I believe they still have the engine (or will get it eventually) to sit on a pallet, so it can stay with the car if anyone wants to put it back in the future.

1 hour ago, Dalai said:

Thanks. didn't realize there was a 2 litre 6 cylinder!

I didn't know either, even after doing a fair bit of research for Mrs Jeff's fun facts. It was only after talking to the Mechanical Stig, that he confirmed for me that it was not a mistake that they had made, it was actually an L20 that was offered only in Japan. Apparently it is not a super early car either, I believe it is a '74.

5 hours ago, MFX said:

I didn't know either, even after doing a fair bit of research for Mrs Jeff's fun facts

What, Mrs Jeff doesn't do her own research? ?

We've been had!! 

1 hour ago, LeeM said:

What, Mrs Jeff doesn't do her own research? ?

We've been had!! 

Her research comes from trying to decipher the hieroglyphics I put on the page ;) 

This week I finished off servicing the Bug, which included replacing the fluids, and relocating the fuel filter. I also got around to replacing the broken quarter window latch.

Another week working on the bug and this time I tackled repairing the dash where some moron bashed in the previous stereo and installed a new one.

• 2 weeks later...

you are currently restoring two of the cars i wanted to try and learn to restore on. The Alfa and the beetle. I should start with an Beetle shouldnt i ?

16 hours ago, Troubleshooter said:

.....Aaargh hate when a new problem pops up for no reason when you've just fixed something else:Confused02:

Yep, driving me crazy. I actually just went out and replaced the fuel hoses and it was not coming from them, so now I have to order a new fuel pump. Shouldn't be too expensive, just a pain in the ass.

12 hours ago, Pokiou said:

you are currently restoring two of the cars i wanted to try and learn to restore on. The Alfa and the beetle. I should start with an Beetle shouldnt i ?

Absolutely start with the Beetle. Cars don't come much simpler and the parts are dirt cheap. Just try to find something reasonably clean and then just get stuck into it.

16 hours ago, Troubleshooter said:

Bloopers were the best part:rolleyes:

How to paint an engine bay and engine without removing! Top stuff Jeff .....Aaargh hate when a new problem pops up for no reason when you've just fixed something else:Confused02:

Everyone knows you should leave something broken on the car.  If you fix everything, then the next problem in the queue must arrive.  So leave something simple and obvious broken.

28 minutes ago, Coastr said:

Everyone knows you should leave something broken on the car.  If you fix everything, then the next problem in the queue must arrive.  So leave something simple and obvious broken.

Maybe not a fuel leak in the engine bay though :P

2 minutes ago, MFX said:

Maybe not a fuel leak in the engine bay though :P

My guess based on extensive experience with car-breakage queues is that the fuel leak was caused by fixing the front quarter window.

Archived