Home Built Project Beetle

MFX

8 minutes ago, MFX said:

Maybe not a fuel leak in the engine bay though :P

Especially considering these cars are infamous for engine bay fires!!!!!

Hey, don't you know a Fiery or something? :ph34r:

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

there was an old trick i learnt from a very very old car restorer.. he would add a color dye to some fuel to help find any leaks on old engines as sometimes you couldnt tell what was new or old fuel. 

@MFX i also remember you sayings omething about wanting an old style modern radio?

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Volkswagen-Beetle-Bug-Radio-Retro-Sound-Mod-2-Bluetooth-iPod-1958-67-Wolfsburg/281287416861?hash=item417e095c1d

That is what I have in the 911 but I didn't want to spend that sort of money on the Beetle. Considering you can get a pretty decent brand name head unit for around $100, all they need to do is make a retro style face for them.

I have also had a bit more of a look at my leaky fuel pump situation.

1 hour ago, OZ930 said:

the leak appears at 4:54 from both sides of the fuel pump mounting block,  what did you use to clean with ??

May just need new gaskets/seals.

I slowed it down and it appears to come down from the back of the pump, higher up. I just used carby cleaner, which I wouldn't have thought would be too bad on it.

1 hour ago, MFX said:

all they need to do is make a retro style face for them.

Make one out of MDF and purple tartan with some guitar volume knobs. Sorted! ;)

This week the plan was to do the brakes, but first I had to replace the dodgy fuel pump that started leaking in last weeks episode.

This week my goals were to replace the rear brakes, but first I thought I would fix the dodgy fuel pump issue... Well there was a slight issue with that.

You kept shaving off a ciggy paper Jeff but really it needed 3 poofteenths and 5 bees dicks ground off!  I'm only 5 mins into the video and I just want to take an angle grinder to the pump  rod and cut off 5mm! Wish I had your patience mate Aaaaargh and then it dies ... Maaaaaate you needed some StartYaBastard!!    Now it's Beer o'clock:Passusabeer:

Don't shave anymore than 2 poofteenths! I like the style of your vids Jeff, very grass roots with a can do Aussie attitude and application always on hand. Genuine I guess sums it up. I chuckle at what some OS, (in particular yank), viewers would make of the dialogue, accent, pace of the narrative - they can hardly understand us sometimes....Great vids, keep em coming!

47 minutes ago, P-Kay said:

Have welder = can add metal

Alternatively, just buy the right one and be done with it!

That is what I had in mind. Trying to get it going with what I have, it should be just a matter of fine tuning it. I am pretty patient, so it will get there ;) 

On 5/17/2018 at 12:21 PM, CarreraG50 said:

Just buy one of these and fit an electric pump, those dog leg pumps fail regularly, if you persevere with it, make sure you have a spare in the car (ask me how I know)

https://vwparts.aircooled.net/Billet-BUGPACK-Fuel-Pump-Block-Off-Plate-Type-1-p/4548-15.htm

I really wanted to keep it as it was originally intended ;)

This week first job was to work out why the car was breaking down on me, and then there is the issue of that super tight hub nut.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 9:10 PM, MFX said:
This week I attempt to stop the infuriating squealing brakes, and then bleed them all.

Jeff,

To stop sucking air around the threads of the bleed nipple of a slave cylinder, just slap on a little grease around the exposed threads.  Works a treat.

22 hours ago, Peter M said:

Jeff,

To stop sucking air around the threads of the bleed nipple of a slave cylinder, just slap on a little grease around the exposed threads.  Works a treat.

I tried that on my type 3 with copper grease, unfortunately only helped a little bit.  I found that if you unscrew it too far, it's when it leaks around the threads. Have to just open it so that the fluid just starts to bleed. Looks like you got it sorted anyway and the brakes seem nice and firm.

1 hour ago, AdRock said:

I tried that on my type 3 with copper grease, unfortunately only helped a little bit.

Yes, antiseize would be too light.  Sorry I didn't elaborate further.  I use Castrol Boating Grease as it is very viscous and adhesive.  It's also my favourite for coating parts such as motorcycle axles to stop corrosion. 

Archived