3.0 Engine Rebuild - ITBs - EFI - AEM Infinity - Bringing it back from the dead.

Mike D'Silva

1 careful owner... 

Big box of parts

araIX8G.jpg

A bit of elbow grease should fix this...

hQoStRN.jpg

tAsPmez.jpg

It's not like the alternator and fan are important anyway...

Atj4YHt.jpg

HbNgwo3.jpg

cQNWBlI.jpg

Special order banana shaped stud

2d1jNT8.jpg

Looks like the bottom of an old coffee pot...

a7jlQg6.jpg

Presto!

MqA2bxB.jpg

Stage 1 cleaning completed...

tjSRQgp.jpg

That doesn't look like loctite 574...

D4bgl7H.jpg

NdD2Pyo.jpg

qbaRJVV.jpg

GRiG6B6.jpg

y2Iasco.jpg

xoFOMo2.jpg

C3bplHG.jpg

5DIBCbR.jpg

bAfs6r3.jpg

LNC2DNS.jpg

QXztnbr.jpg

2MgKQR7.jpg

i5wEv9S.jpg

MLg76g7.jpg

CBRWGUG.jpg

CyR1gQF.jpg

Jfz3LAE.jpg

NAuI1cM.jpg

V2GCiXr.jpg

pb0Ctwy.jpg

N2OnuIA.jpg

5ziULtY.jpg

19u0D1S.jpg

JvnPTad.jpg

C3bplHG.jpg

jk1Wwey.jpg

KeNlAHe.jpg

EO0khr1.jpg

NAuI1cM.jpg

27iUidd.jpg

lbPsIdM.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, MFX said:

That engine is looking VERY nice Mike. Have you gotten the aluminium parts anodised? (like the cam towers and lower cam covers, etc)

ah no. I don't think that is possible..or at least I don't know that anyone has done that. They are just wet blasted. I get all excited when the parts are clean and dry, but soon enough they will be drowning in oil and grime. 

fwg7Dch.jpg

NCc89cx.jpg

kxGk4rm.jpg

Cool, they just looked too nice. That is great. I am surprised your OCD didn't make you hit the engine shroud with a spray can of fresh red. Looks like a very nice engine. Any info on what it is going into yet???

3 hours ago, MFX said:

Cool, they just looked too nice. That is great. I am surprised your OCD didn't make you hit the engine shroud with a spray can of fresh red. Looks like a very nice engine. Any info on what it is going into yet???

sssshhhh.....

46 minutes ago, Mike D'Silva said:

all I need now, is someone with some wiring expertise..

You looked like you were doing a pretty decent job in the other thread? 

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, Mike D'Silva said:

Making a harness is an easy job.

Understanding what electricity does is a whole different world to me. I failed engineering... or rather, I left before they asked me to leave... 

Welcome to assist in the translation :)

The donor car has a 3.2 transplant with original bosch dme.. And there are 5 wires that come out of the ecu that interface with the car.. red, yellow, 2 black, purple.

We all know purple is for the tach.. and if you didn't then now you do.

But the way it was wired, these 4 wires were all taped up and run through the front into the front compartment and tapped into the fuse panel. The purple teed off to the tacho, but the yellow went to fuse 12 (1 at the rear of the car ; is that how you count them?), the two black wires were too short so they were extended with red wires to go to fuse 11, and the orignal red wire from the ecu, appears to go to the battery direct.. which is weird.  I was trying to see if I could use the existing wiring that was run from the fuse panel to the inside of the car, but I think I will just junk it all... The purple tach wire will be utilised, but I will take switched 12V from the rear fuse panel. 

1AT25N2.jpg

IN this one you can see where the black wire, becomes two red wires.. r0Vsr2w.jpg

Car is on stands ready for engine removal.. it's probably too heavy for the bin, so I will just leave it out on the footpath and wait for the metal recyclers to pick it up.

ePdiZ71.jpg

56 minutes ago, Mike D'Silva said:

The donor car has a 3.2 transplant with original bosch dme.. And there are 5 wires that come out of the ecu that interface with the car.. red, yellow, 2 black, purple.

We all know purple is for the tach.. and if you didn't then now you do.

Mike,

Normally you would expect a few more:

ECU Pin 4 - starter - +ve when cranking

Pin 5 - ground

Pin 11 - tacho - terminal 1

Pin 18 - fuel pump relay terminal 87

Pin 20 - fuel pump relay terminal 85b

Pin 21 - tacho - terminal 2

Pin 29 - AC temp switch

Pin 35 - fuel pump relay terminal 87

I can send a scan of the DME wiring diagram if you PM me an email address. 

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 4:30 PM, Mike D'Silva said:

TPS mount doing my head in

zZde3lz.jpg

Mike,

Are you using a Bosch TPS that looks similar to the throttle position switch that is standard on the 3.2?  Couldn't advise the part number please? 

I ended up buying a BMW one with 31mm spaced mounting holes and a cheap adaptor from EFI Hardware.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Bosch-Throttle-Position-Sensor-TPS-0280122001/172902811295?epid=1409519677&hash=item2841cf869f:g:EN8AAOSwIINZ02sm

Pete

this is the one I ended up using.. reason it was confusing me is I didn't realise they only operation over 90 degree rotation and that you have to buy the one that rotates the way you need it to! And then of course, when you describe clockwise or counter clockwise, is that when looking at the throttle shaft? or looking at the sensor? 

In the end, I bought some connectors from efi hardware in VIC and will make an extension so my current sensor which is mounted on the left side of car, will reach the harness which was designed to fit a TPS on the right side of car.. I wasn't paying full attention to the instructions in the kit :)