3.0 Engine Rebuild - ITBs - EFI - AEM Infinity - Bringing it back from the dead.

Mike D'Silva

6 hours ago, Peter M said:

Mike,

Good choice, on that particular TPS - 0280 122 001- it doesn't matter which direction the shaft turns, your ECU will adapt.  This spec sheet might be of interest:

https://www.bskspeedworks.co.uk/downloads/sensors_throttleposition.pdf

yes, at first I thought the low voltage reading had to be the idle  value and the high voltage the WOT value.. but when I mounted the TPS on the other side of the engine, in order to get the correct orientation, the wires were smooshed into the engine shroud.. so that's why I ended up ordering parts to make an extension. 

Motor is installed...

RTCAFCf.jpg

Just an update to this.. I went to turn the key and realised I forgot to install the starter ring to the pressure plate and flywheel.. which meant draining the fresh oil and pulling the motor and trans again.. 

The good news is, I am getting really good at it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've got to thinking that myself for headers for the boxster, US $189.00 or something. How bad could they be? I've read they need a little cleaning in the port hole but the faces match true. Chinese imported to USA?

They say US made, but we all know America doesn't do manufacturing any more. ?

18 minutes ago, Mike D'Silva said:

Yes, but it really needs a sports muffler!!

Dare I say it, but I am thinking about buying some ebay headers...

I've made my research and it's conclusive completely though seems like cheep ones tend to crack in weldings with time. 

I'm about to give another chance for overseas company to weld some proper SS headers for reasonable money (hopefully).

Anyway, cheep ones will do the job for a while at least. 

39 minutes ago, Mike D'Silva said:

Thinking about these.....

http://www.gt-racing.com/european-racing-headers/

ZOeKtWj.png

EDoi4j6.png

but seems expensive... USD + shipping + GST + Customs

plus I think they are mild steel?

They are mild steel. But seems like people are happy with them. 

To avoid customs you either can talk with gt racing not to put an invoice in there (some of the suppliers agree to do that) or ship it to someone in the us first and ask them reship to aus without invoice. A bit of a hustle but save you a few coins. 

If you eager to wait I'll update you with some our headers I'm going to have. It's up to you. 

1 minute ago, Cheshire Cat said:

They are mild steel. But seems like people are happy with them. 

To avoid customs you either can talk with gt racing not to put an invoice in there (some of the suppliers agree to do that) or ship it to someone in the us first and ask them reship to aus without invoice. A bit of a hustle but save you a few coins. 

If you eager to wait I'll update you with some our headers I'm going to have. It's up to you. 

I can wait.. there is no rush.

12 hours ago, Mike D'Silva said:

Yes, but it really needs a sports muffler!!

Dare I say it, but I am thinking about buying some ebay headers...

easily a few hp in upgrading exhaust for sure!

my 3.6 is ostensibly a 250hp engine (at the fly wheel) but a light weight flywheel, fabspeed exhaust and steve wong chip saw it put down 240rwhp. so definitely 10-15 ponies in there for you.
the price on those header for mild steel is a bit exorbitant.
i would head down to exhaust innovations as they do porsche stuff including the tuned length exhaust on my longhood (280rwhp).
will cost a bit extra but no customs, shipping, and guaranteed fit.. do it once, do it right.

20 minutes ago, Mike D'Silva said:

What sort of dollars would i be looking at? 

i think i paid $1900 for tuned length extractors, in thick walled stainless.
not that much more than the GT racing items once shipped, GST, currency conversion etc i'd say.
realistically any exhaust shop can do it, i only used them because they have experience with 911's specifically and i know they are good.

20 minutes ago, Mike D'Silva said:

how does that sound?

good. flow excellent as well. that set up is on a 2.8mfi car i believe, on the pointy end of the historics race group.
no point paying $1200 for some cottage industry porsche specific one, when on impact bumper cars it's hidden behind the valence.

the extractors use proper merges too, not the flat ones on the GT racing items.

probably only worth a poofteenth of a horsepower but hey ?

it's probably more than you wanted to spend/don't need to be extracting every bit out of the engine.. but it's definitely a (local) option.
i paid more for my full fabspeed setup, it works fine, but local job looks better, fits better, sounds a bit angrier, and gained a couple hp.